View Poll Results: Should Sue become a doctor?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 42.05%
  • No, but another career would be good

17 19.32%
  • No, she's fine as is

34 38.64%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Also, does Sue have any close friends/ best friend? She's so glued to the team that nobody springs to mind.
    Ben is a friend to almost every hero in the MU, Reed's best friend besides Ben is T'challa, and Johnny's are Spider-Man and Wyatt Wingfoot. Who's Sue's?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Also, does Sue have any close friends/ best friend? She's so glued to the team that nobody springs to mind.
    Ben is a friend to almost every hero in the MU, Reed's best friend besides Ben is T'challa, and Johnny's are Spider-Man and Wyatt Wingfoot. Who's Sue's?
    It used to be she'd have Alicia around a lot. Morrison wrote a nice scene with them together in the Fantastic Four 1234. I recall she stayed with a cousin when she and Reed split up after he put Franklin in a comatose state when his powers were overloading. During Byrne's run she's be shown hanging out with Jan or She Hulk. If we were talking 15 years ago or so, I'd say it was Alicia. Currently? No one really comes to mind.

I seem to recall a "Bob and Carol" from back in the Roy Thomas days. But Sue's non-FF (and family) life is near non-existent. That's a damn shame.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Didn't Sue and Janet Van Dyne used to be pretty close and hang out now and then?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Didn't Sue and Janet Van Dyne used to be pretty close and hang out now and then?
    it was Jan, Jen (She-Hulk), and Sue. I don't know how close they were, though. I've never seen Sue really confide in either of them. Sue and Medusa have a Queen-ly friendship.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-20-2017 at 01:27 PM.

holy crap!

sorry to hijack the thread. but McNiven draws my favorite version of Sue. Eaglesham was good but gave her the kind of figure that leads to back problems. actually, so did McNiven; sometimes.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-20-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I said no she is fine the way she is. I think the Sue has been defined for quite a while as being a great wife and mother, who answer the calls of heroism when necessary. Every woman doesn't want to have a career outside their families and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that if a woman chooses that for herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Jaime Hernandez is great.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I said no she is fine the way she is. I think the Sue has been defined for quite a while as being a great wife and mother, who answer the calls of heroism when necessary. Every woman doesn't want to have a career outside their families and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that if a woman chooses that for herself.
    True in real life but this is fiction and superheroes where characters can be almost anything. It rubs me the wrong way that Sue has been written only by men in the main FF books and has stayed as only a wife and mother. It's an archaic relic from her 60's inception that stands out even more when all the men around her are more active outside of the family than her. If this was a real person with real autonomy then I would say fair enough, but this is a character who has been purposely held back and it's irritating. Heck, even her 60's incarnation didn't want to solely be a wife and mother she had aspirations of being an actress and current Sue has no aspirations for herself or even a best friend. It's sad and needs to change, she's Marvel's first female superhero and should be treated better than this.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

True in real life but this is fiction and superheroes where characters can be almost anything. It rubs me the wrong way that Sue has been written only by men in the main FF books and has stayed as only a wife and mother. It's an archaic relic from her 60's inception that stands out even more when all the men around her are more active outside of the family than her. If this was a real person with real autonomy then I would say fair enough, but this is a character who has been purposely held back and it's irritating. Heck, even her 60's incarnation didn't want to solely be a wife and mother she had aspirations of being an actress and current Sue has no aspirations for herself or even a best friend. It's sad and needs to change, she's Marvel's first female superhero and should be treated better than this.
    I have a very close friend of mine who currently lives as a stay-at-home mother and she loves being able to do that. She is able to attend to the necessary things that need to be done within her home, as well as ensure that her child has the attention that only a mother can give. That said, if being a stay at home mom is something Sue wants to do then I don't think it is a sad thing or something that should be frowned upon or even archaic. Is it the most glamorous or high-profile job, no. But being a mother is a blessing not all women are capable to be and nothing a man could ever do even with all the advances in science today. She is putting the well-being of her children before the desires of her own and that selflessness, dedication, and devotion is something I think should be celebrated. Again, if this is what her heart desires and she has not indicated otherwise I don't see the issue.

you're not talking about every woman. Sue's a former aspiring actress, an adventurer, and an ambassador to an underwater kingdom. I'm not sure that she's ever pursued a "regular" life. getting an education wouldn't make her less than a great wife and mother. Reed has other areas of focus.

Yeah I feel the same way. Sue being a decent mother feels pretty unique actually in comics. As opposed to being a stereotype Sue is actually an exception in this medium.

I think she's the heart of the FF, the heart of the family. Without Sue, IMHO the FF completely falls apart.

I do find the idea of the thread kind of annoying tbh. Not everything is offensive. Sue being defined as a mother is only offensive if you think less of the role of a mother.

Also Sue has a career she's a superhero!

I have a very close friend of mine who currently lives as a stay-at-home mother and she loves being able to do that. She is able to attend to the necessary things that need to be done within her home, as well as ensure that her child has the attention that only a mother can give. That said, if being a stay at home mom is something Sue wants to do then I don't think it is a sad thing or something that should be frowned upon or even archaic. Is it the most glamorous or high-profile job, no. But being a mother is a blessing not all women are capable to be and nothing a man could ever do even with all the advances in science today. She is putting the well-being of her children before the desires of her own and that selflessness, dedication, and devotion is something I think should be celebrated. Again, if this is what her heart desires and she has not indicated otherwise I don't see the issue.
    Sue is a comic book superhero where motherhood is should just be one aspect of her character. It's an important one, but it shouldn't be the only one as it's not the only aspect of anyone's personality in real life. It's frustrating to not only see other female characters get to mingle and adventure in the MU, but the others on her team get to do it more than her. Many people want Franklin and Valeria to age up, what happens then? Sue would no longer the kids excuse and will have nothing for herself. She should be a more impactful force on the MU than the being wife of Reed Richards.

Giving her a career and something for herself will only improve the character as it adds to her growth and takes nothing away.