View Poll Results: Should Sue become a doctor?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 42.05%
  • No, but another career would be good

17 19.32%
  • No, she's fine as is

34 38.64%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you're not talking about every woman. Sue's a former aspiring actress, an adventurer, and an ambassador to an underwater kingdom. I'm not sure that she's ever pursued a "regular" life. getting an education wouldn't make her less than a great wife and mother. Reed has other areas of focus.
    but what is her focus now? and what has it been predominantly over the lifespan of the character. Of course she is going to have things she do outside of her family, she isn't a prisoner within her home but what does becoming a doctor do for the character that she isn't able to do as a stay at home more. She being a mother can still be an adventurer or other gigs (including saving the world) in her spare time. It's her being an actual "supermom" which again I don't see the issue with this as long as she is happy doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Sue is a comic book superhero where motherhood is should just be one aspect of her character. It's an important one, but it shouldn't be the only one as it's not the only aspect of anyone's personality in real life. It's frustrating to not only see other female characters get to mingle and adventure in the MU, but the others on her team get to do it more than her. Many people want Franklin and Valeria to age up, what happens then? Sue would no longer the kids excuse and will have nothing for herself. She should be a more impactful force on the MU than the being wife of Reed Richards.

Giving her a career and something for herself will only improve the character as it adds to her growth and takes nothing away.
    Maybe I should clarify. I am not saying she should solely be at home doing nothing and not enjoying life (as she wouldn't be able to save lives as the Invisible Woman if that is all she did). What I am saying is that her career is being a mother. That is job that requires you to be at work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You don't get a "break" from being a parent or in sue's case a mother. Sure she can do things on the side, such as pursue acting or whatever, but I don't see becoming a doctor changing the dynamic of who she is. If her children age up then I think at that point it would make for an interesting book to see what she wants to do with her life (whatever that may be). Heck she may even decide to have more kids, but if she chooses that it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    but what is her focus now? and what has it been predominantly over the lifespan of the character. Of course she is going to have things she do outside of her family, she isn't a prisoner within her home but what does becoming a doctor do for the character that she isn't able to do as a stay at home more. She being a mother can still be an adventurer or other gigs (including saving the world) in her spare time. It's her being an actual "supermom" which again I don't see the issue with this as long as she is happy doing it.
    she's a fictional character. she's "happy" doing it, if the writer needs her to be. why can't Reed quit his hobbies and have some real adventure as a "super dad?"

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Yeah I feel the same way. Sue being a decent mother feels pretty unique actually in comics. As opposed to being a stereotype Sue is actually an exception in this medium.

I think she's the heart of the FF, the heart of the family. Without Sue, IMHO the FF completely falls apart.

I do find the idea of the thread kind of annoying tbh. Not everything is offensive. Sue being defined as a mother is only offensive if you think less of the role of a mother.

Also Sue has a career she's a superhero!
    how about a compromise? Havok should knock Polaris up and she can be a supermom around whatever passes for an x-mansion. it's not like Lorna has a full-time job dominating her time. she could be changing diapers and making sure that he house is clean. she'd be the heart of the X-Men.

she's a fictional character. she's "happy" doing it, if the writer needs her to be. why can't Reed quit his hobbies and have some real adventure as a "super dad?"
    I would totally be fine with that, but that has never been his MO. The same isn't true with Sue. If writers want to change that about her then of course that would be fine, but I don't see it helping the character in any way giving her a career. I like Sue how she has been written, that is what makes the FF4 the first family of marvel. But that is just me.

how about a compromise? Havok should knock Polaris up and she can be a supermom around whatever passes for an x-mansion. it's not like Lorna has a full-time job dominating her time. she could be changing diapers and making sure that he house is clean. she'd be the heart of the X-Men.
    Well actually Polaris does currently have a job. She's a teacher. She also has that science masters that people are complaining Sue doesn't have. Only a couple more exams and she could be Dr Dane. Just saying.

I would totally be fine with that, but that has never been his MO. The same isn't true with Sue. If writers want to change that about her then of course that would be fine, but I don't see it helping the character in any way giving her a career. I like Sue how she has been written, that is what makes the FF4 the first family of marvel. But that is just me.
    No I don't either. I don't think it's fits for her. The only thing that I think could be in character and could really suit her would be something like a social worker or youth counselor. She obviously wants to take care of other people and see them reach their potential. Totally fits the character.
    Last edited by blanchett; 10-20-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Well actually Polaris does currently have a job. She's a teacher. She also has that science masters that people are complaining Sue doesn't have. Only a couple more exams and she could be Dr Dane. Just saying.
    Sue taught at a private school. and she's not insane.

Maybe I should clarify. I am not saying she should solely be at home doing nothing and not enjoying life (as she wouldn't be able to save lives as the Invisible Woman if that is all she did). What I am saying is that her career is being a mother. That is job that requires you to be at work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You don't get a "break" from being a parent or in sue's case a mother. Sure she can do things on the side, such as pursue acting or whatever, but I don't see becoming a doctor changing the dynamic of who she is. If her children age up then I think at that point it would make for an interesting book to see what she wants to do with her life (whatever that may be). Heck she may even decide to have more kids, but if she chooses that it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing imo.
    It gives her the opportunity to not be stuck solely on the FF and a more active role on scientific adventuring part of the FF outside of her powers (something which I want Ben and Johnny to do too). Being a doctor won't suddenly stop her being a mother in fact it would introduce a new aspect of her trying to balance being a working mother. Just compare her to the others, they get to join appear constantly outside of a FF book and do things for themselves as well as the team. Sue rarely appears outside the FF or away from Reed. There is nothing wrong with being a stay at home mother, but this is a character we're talking about and if something limits a character (and this does) then it has to change.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

No I don't either. I don't think it's fits for her. The only thing that I think could be in character and could really suit her would be something like a social worker or youth counselor. She obviously wants to take care of other people and see them reach their potential. Totally fits the character.
    That's why I chose her being a doctor! And it's something her father did which adds to her looking into that field as kids of doctors/surgeons are more likely to enter that field too.

I feel exhausted for some reason lol

Sue taught at a private school. and she's not insane.
    Polaris isn't insane right now. Lol.

Funnily enough she is currently pregnant in the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That's why I chose her being a doctor! And it's something her father did which adds to her looking into that field as kids of doctors/surgeons are more likely to enter that field too.

I feel exhausted for some reason lol
    I do see your rationale but doctor seems pretty random. Sue has been a mother/superhero. Being a doctor requires intensive study. Her all of a sudden being a doctor feels like a huge stretch.

As well as that I do question why this is being proposed. It does seem like her being a good mother is being devalued. Seriously what other characters in comics actually fit her role of the good mother?
    Last edited by blanchett; 10-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Sue's problem is that she was created in 1961 and Stan Lee wrote her for her first 9+ years. She got no background or interests besides "girl stuff", you know modeling, actressing, designing clothes, etc. Johnny, Ben, and Reed all had interests and hobbies. Sue didn't get those. Heroines coming up later and who just weren't "the girl" had something more to them.

It's not that Sue can't or shouldn't, it's that she was 'developed" in a ge where that development didn't happen and whatever would bring her into the late 20th century needed to be added to her. John Byrne did some work on her personality. The doctorate Fraction wrote in could be something, but I don't think any two writers have agreed on anything besides Sue as family woman. Head of the Richards family, sure, but the family. There's been no consensus on anything else for her.

Again, a damn shame.

I do see your rationale but doctor seems pretty random. Sue has been a mother/superhero. Being a doctor requires intensive study. Her all of a sudden being a doctor feels like a huge stretch.

As well as that I do question why this is being proposed. It does seem like her being a good mother is being devalued. Seriously what other characters in comics actually fit her role of the good mother?
    I didn't pull doctor out of hat, it was from the multiple times that she has had perform surgery over the years (usually guided by someone else), alternate universes usually have her in that role, and her father was a talented surgeon and those type of professions usually have the children taking on the same or similar professions. A recent example of there being precedence is in the SHIELD comic (one of the few things she showed up in without the others) she had to perform surgery on a man and that wasn't the first time she has had to do that or eluded ton medicinal knowledge. I can give panels if you wish.

I'm not devaluing her motherhood by saying that it shouldn't be all there is the character, there is nothing wrong with her being a mother and I would never change that. The downside of her being solely family orientated is that limits her character. She rarely shows up in the greater MU because writers don't know how to write when she is not the "glue" of the Fantastic Four. Her entire personality is built around the others while theirs are not. This needs to change and being a doctor would be a great way to have her outside of the FF as well as give her more interesting things to do within the team. I personally believe that her, Ben and Johnny all need to be more involved in the scientific adventure part of the FF as that what the team is meant to be, a scientific team. It's really unequal when only one does anything scientific it makes the others seem unimportant.

My second post on the first page explains in more detail how and why I'd make her a doctor.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-20-2017 at 03:18 PM.

it's definitely not random. we've seen her as a doctor, at least, twice; in alternate realities; not including the Ultimate Universe in which she has several doctorates.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.

it's definitely not random. we've seen her as a doctor, at least, twice; in alternate realities; not including the Ultimate Universe in which she has several doctorates.
    I don't like the Ultimate, multi-doctoral, possible smarter than Reed version of Sue. If Reed wasn't already doing that, sure. But IMO Sue's development as someone who holding her and Johnny together after their parents' supposed death is important. Give her med school and a medical doctorate but don't take away her family mommy power. It shouldn't be ALL she is, but it's a big part of who she is and why the FF has consistently drifted back together after all sorts of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't like the Ultimate, multi-doctoral, possible smarter than Reed version of Sue. If Reed wasn't already doing that, sure. But IMO Sue's development as someone who holding her and Johnny together after their parents' supposed death is important. Give her med school and a medical doctorate but don't take away her family mommy power. It shouldn't be ALL she is, but it's a big part of who she is and why the FF has consistently drifted back together after all sorts of problems.
    I'm not a fan of Ultimate Sue. and I, personally, don't have a dog in the "sue-as-doctor" fight. but I would love it if she were the team medic. it fits her personality. she's the protective one. and her powers, of them all, requires the most finesse. it'd be useful if she knew the ins and outs of the human body. she demonstrated some convincing knowledge of the heart to scare the Wizard (maybe the McDuffie run?). but that was chalked up to her reading it on the internet or something.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-20-2017 at 04:06 PM.