Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Outsiders

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    Green Arrow
    White Canary
    Black Lightning
    Element Woman
    Midnighter

They would be Batman's secret squad of unofficial JL members to do things the JL publicly can't.

The book would be fairly gritty, dealing with street crime, like DC's version of the Defenders.
    The only real issue here, is that White Canary doesn't exactly exist in the comics; she's LOT exclusive. Not that I would be opposed to her being there, just that she doesn't (yet) exist in the comics.

01sharpj

Batwoman
    Geo-Force
    Halo
    Windfall
    Metamorpho
    Looker
    Black lightning

To me Grant Morrison hit the nail on the head when he said something about all teams having a definition:

* JLA = Pantheon of Gods
    * Avengers = the varsity team
    * Fantastic Four = a family
    * X-men = a school
    * Titans = friends who become like your family
    * Doom Patrol = group therapy

To me, The Outsiders is a support group for super heroes. In the original Batman needed a team to do things the JLA couldn't, and the heroes he worked with in turn needed help with personal issues/missions:

* Black Lightning needed to get over his guilt and regain control of this powers.
    * Metamorpho was looking for a cure, and/or a way to reconnect to Sapphire Stagg.
    * Geo-Force wanted experience, and to get over his over-emotionalism/temper and to find his half-sister.
    * Halo wanted to find out who she was.
    * Katanna wanted to avenge her family's murders.

To me, once they solved all the above issues, and didn't rotate in other heroes to do the same with, the team really lost it's focus, and just became any other superhero team, and they need to return to that if an ongoing series for these characters is ever going to work again.

An experienced leader who acts as both a Drill Sargent and therapist helping b-grade and newbie heroes through some troubles, and they help said leader on his war on crime almost as payment for his help. If you keep that, the membership itself can change as needed.
    Last edited by edpower; 01-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    To me Grant Morrison hit the nail on the head when he said something about all teams having a definition:

* JLA = Pantheon of Gods
    * Avengers = the varsity team
    * Fantastic Four = a family
    * X-men = a school
    * Titans = friends who become like your family
    * Doom Patrol = group therapy

To me, The Outsiders is a support group for super heroes. In the original Batman needed a team to do things the JLA couldn't, and the heroes he worked with in turn needed help with personal issues/missions:

* Black Lightning needed to get over his guilt and regain control of this powers.
    * Metamorpho was looking for a cure, and/or a way to reconnect to Sapphire Stagg.
    * Geo-Force wanted experience, and to get over his over-emotionalism/temper and to find his half-sister.
    * Halo wanted to find out who she was.
    * Katanna wanted to avenge her family's murders.

To me, once they solved all the above issues, and didn't rotate in other heroes to do the same with, the team really lost it's focus, and just became any other superhero team, and they need to return to that if an ongoing series for these characters is ever going to work again.

An experienced leader who acts as both a Drill Sargent and therapist helping b-grade and newbie heroes through some troubles, and they help said leader on his war on crime almost as payment for his help. If you keep that, the membership itself can change as needed.
    Though not explicitly, I think they could be trying something like that with the new members of the new Outsiders team. Duke is figuring out who he is as a hero and as a metahuman and Orphan is still growing into a more fully realized human being as well as finding her voices. Black Lightning is the mentor and I'm sure Katana will be bringing her own expertise and baggage to the table too. The team is still small they could be add someone if the book sticks, their first arc is rescuing a traumatized meta so they could end up joining too.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'd love an Outsiders team to be made up of a group of characters who SERIOUSLY don't fit in anywhere, folks you'd probably never see as part of the Justice League roster (and maybe not even the Doom Patrol roster). Something like the "Team 13" group running around the Tales of the Unexpected mini from about a decade ago. That may even be a good starting point:

1. Dr. Thirteen
    2. Lady Quark
    3. Muhammad X
    4. Brother Power
    5. Rima the Jungle Girl
    6. Madame Fatale
    7. The Heckler

at one time I would have said the outlaws have taken the Outsiders spot then the second JLA team came around.

Once the Legion is dealt with I could see Bats wanting a team like the outsiders. I am not locked in to any members but I would like BL and Halo. Rex is doing ok in the Terrifics and Katana is not likely to leave a movie franchise like the SS. I never really warmed to Geo Force so I don't mind him staying on the shelf.