View Poll Results: How close to "your" cinematic vision of WW was this movie?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Perfect

6 13.04%
  • 9 - Excellent

16 34.78%
  • 8 - Great

14 30.43%
  • 7 - Worthwhile

3 6.52%
  • 6 - Decent

4 8.70%
  • 5 - OK

1 2.17%
  • 4 - Mediocre

0 0%
  • 3 - Disappointing

1 2.17%
  • 2 - Poor

0 0%
  • 1 - Abominable

0 0%
  • N/A - Unwatched

1 2.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rate your personal enjoyment of the movie

It's been 4 months.

You've likely seen the film directed by Patty Jenkins and starting Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. Maybe many times.

You may have purchased the home version blu-ray by now.

So, with some distance and the initial rush over,

Was this film finally the Wonder Woman movie you had been waiting for?

How close was WONDER WOMAN (2017) to the WW movie YOU would have had made?

Vote

10 - Perfect - wouldn't change a thing in my version

9 - Excellent - any changes would be minor or negligible

8 - Great - any changes would be medium at best/worst

7 - Worthwhile - there would be one crucial change

6 - Decent - there would be more than one crucial change

5 - OK - keep more than half of the movie, but change large chunks of story

4- Mediocre - change more than half the movie, but keep large chunks of story

3 - Disappointing - keep multiple ideas, change the rest

2 - Poor - keep one idea/aspect, change the rest

1 - Abominable - wouldn't keep a thing in my version

N/A - Unwatched - haven't seen, can't comment
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Personally, I loved the movie, saw it in the theater, bought the blu-ray.

But I would have had things done differently. Truthfully, a lot of the movie would have taken place in the modern day, not World War I. But that's just me.

Gave it a 7, on this particular scale.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-18-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Mighty Member

6. It was one of my favorite comic book movies. I think it did some things really well and proved that the cbm genre isn't dying just needs some changes. I liked the cinematography and the dialouge and thought it was a lot less narcissistic and over the top than other cbms. My only problems deal with how her mythology was handled but I remember Patty saying she found it hard to mesh everything together which I saw towards the end with the Ares fight but even then it wasn't bad.

I don't think this shows how much I personally enjoyed it just how much I would change about it though. I think I'd rate it generally around an 7.5-8.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-18-2017 at 12:15 PM.

The only things that kept this movie from being higher than an 8 for me in this context was the Zeus is your daddy/you were created to be a weapon part of the story. My 'perfect' WW story would most definitely retain the original origin.

I also thought the villains were a bit too campy for the tone of the movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The only things that kept this movie from being higher than an 8 for me in this context was the Zeus is your daddy/you were created to be a weapon part of the story. My 'perfect' WW story would most definitely retain the original origin.
    ^This. Mostly. Overall, I quite enjoy the movie. But, Zeus is a big downer. Could be worse, and, for that I'm grateful. Somewhat. But, I find Simone's version of Diana's birth to be the most maternal and beautiful (followed closely by Jill Thompson's The True Amazon) - so, I wish the movie had given us something much more like that.

Also, would have been nice to see more signs of technology and advancement on the island.

And, a few bits of dialogue I would alter.

I give it a 9.

I love almost everything about it, but I have a few minor quibbles:

• Not a fan of the Zeus-is-my-father angle that the DCEU seems to be going. It's never explicitly stated, but heavily implied.
    • I also didn't like the reduction of Aphrodite's and Athena's roles with the Amazons. They weren't even mentioned which is pretty unfortunate considering their importance in the series's history.
    • Ares was pretty lackluster as a villain, and looked silly as a thin, mustached man. I'm fine with him looking how he did up until he formed the armor. And the flashback with that corny mustache just threw me out of the scene all together.
    • Not enough Etta.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I give it a 9.

I love almost everything about it, but I have a few minor quibbles:

• Not a fan of the Zeus-is-my-father angle that the DCEU seems to be going. It's never explicitly stated, but heavily implied.
    • I also didn't like the reduction of Aphrodite's and Athena's roles with the Amazons. They weren't even mentioned which is pretty unfortunate considering their importance in the series's history.
    • Ares was pretty lackluster as a villain, and looked silly as a thin, mustached man. I'm fine with him looking how he did up until he formed the armor. And the flashback with that corny mustache just threw me out of the scene all together.
    • Not enough Etta.
    ^^
    I agree with everything above. These relatively small changes would have made the movie absolutely perfect for me.

I dunno, Zeus being her dad (which Ares explicitly confirmed while under the lasso 's influence) is a crucial plot point for the film: i.e. the sword is not the Godslayer, Diana herself is.

Seems like if you want that bit changed, then the movie is at most a 7 on this scale for you.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Gave it a 9.

The movie has its flaws, but they're so minor to me they barely register.

Would've preferred the clay origin, but the Zeus origin was handled far better in the movie than it was in Azz's run. Minor gripe at best.

It was just about perfect for me.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

6.5. It was decent and fun popcorn flick but the message with Ares and mankind was messed up because of his powers.

The villians were campy but was expected and it was too safe, the dialouge/editing/shots looked wonky or questionable to the point where I was thrown back and James Cameron's personal critique of the film made some good points.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    6.5. It was decent and fun popcorn flick but the message with Ares and mankind was messed up because of his powers.

The villians were campy but was expected and it was too safe, the dialouge/editing/shots looked wonky or questionable to the point where I was thrown back and James Cameron's personal critique of the film made some good points.
    Would you like Wonder Woman more if she was a normal flawed woman with no superpowers who went from a damsel in distress victim to a wanted fugitive committing acts of terrorism?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I like to reimagine the scene where Hippolyta opens up that book to tell a young Diana their history. In my version, the painting comes alive and a young Diana's eyes grow big as she sees Aphrodite and Athena (and the other goddesses?) creating the Amazons.

Then, I remember that DC/WB chose for Zeus to take the credit, and it makes me sad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    ... but the message with Ares and mankind was messed up because of his powers.
    How so?

... and James Cameron's personal critique of the film made some good points.
    Such as?

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

I feel like Diana's character was a bit lacking. She never really seems to have a character beyond her ideologies & feelings towards Steve. The whole fish out of water approach could have been handled better, cause really her wide eyed naivety only made her seem too childish and less sophisticated. Steve Rogers got Frozen in ice and woke up in the modern age, and while he was a fish out of water, he still handled it with a sense of maturity.

This was obviously by intent by the screenwriters to show how she went from child like naviety when she first arrived in Wonder Woman to be sophisticated & refined in Batman vs Superman/modern day, mostly due to her seeing the cruelty of Man's World. But I can't help but find it forced that she could 5,000 years on Themyscira acting like a child, but spend a few weeks in Man's World and suddenly have a complete character overhaul.

Cause, yes, I know these things happen, but I just feel like an icon like Wonder Woman should have more of a ingrained identity long before that. If she goes to Mars will she suddenly resort back to being child-like? Overall, I just overall hate her characterization. From the stereotypical warrior woman mentality to her poor sense of resolution (giving up on man cause of your first bad exposure to them is like quitting college cause you failed your first test) to her flip flopping between a serious warrior to a childlike wondertot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Would you like Wonder Woman more if she was a normal flawed woman with no superpowers who went from a damsel in distress victim to a wanted fugitive committing acts of terrorism?
    No because then she shouldn't be Wonder Woman.

The impractical with today's weaponry but its okay because her skin can tank many things costume, her superpowers, tall frame, beautiful that characters actually have to mention it and contradictory reasoning (saying that humans are complex multi faceted beings and are morally grey but somehow even though life is just as complex, believing that love is the only factor that will truly save the world) is all part of her appeal and why I love her as a character.