Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is the Infinity Gauntlet Treated like a Household Item?

Back when the Infinity Gauntlet was created, there was a sense of awe and rarity behind it. It was a powerful artifact, so much so that normal beings couldn't simply wear it and expect to handle the power within. Nebula could barely control the power, just as Doctor Doom could barely handle the Beyonder's power. The gems on the gauntlet were considered as mysterious, all-powerful items that could only be wielded by beings with immense power. Just to get a single gem would be considered a monumental challenge, let alone collecting all six. There was this massive buildup to Thanos collecting the gems, and, when he finally did, there was a sense of ultimate triumph and defeat. There was no going back.

Nowadays, it seems as though the gems can be collected on a whim, and that the Infinity Gauntlet itself is as easy to use as a hammer. How was Captain America able to wield it without going mad, in Time Runs Out? At least he struggled a bit, but when we see Black Panther use it in Secret Wars, he wields it with little effort. Now, Wolverine seems to be in possession of a gem without any rhyme or reason. Furthermore, how was the Illuminati able to keep the gems hidden for so long? Why wasn't there trillions of contenders at Earth's doorstep, all pining after the gems? Are they just useless trinkets to the universe at large?

I'm not sure why there are so many oversights in regards to the gauntlet, but I'd appreciate if it was treated with more respect.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 10-18-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Back when the Infinity Gauntlet was created, there was a sense of awe and rarity behind it. It was a powerful artifact, so much so that normal beings couldn't simply wear it and expect to handle the power within. Nebula could barely control the power, just as Doctor Doom could barely handle the Beyonder's power. The gems on the gauntlet were considered as mysterious and all-powerful items that could only be wielded by beings with immense power. Just to get a single gem would be considered a monumental challenge, let alone collecting all six. There was this massive buildup to Thanos collecting the gems, and, when he finally did, there was a sense of ultimate triumph and defeat. There was no going back.

Nowadays, it seems as though the gems can be collected on a whim, and that the Infinity Gauntlet itself is as easy to use as a hammer. How was Captain America able to wield it without going mad, in Time Runs Out? At least he struggled a bit, but when we see Black Panther in Secret Wars, he wields it with little effort. Now, Wolverine seems to be in possession of a gem without any rhyme or reason? Furthermore, how was the Illuminati able to keep the gems hidden for so long? Why wasn't there trillions of contenders at Earth's doorstep, all pining after the gems? Are they just useless trinkets to the universe at large?

I'm not sure why there are so many oversights in regards to the gauntlet, but I'd appreciate if it was treated with more respect.
    You have to remember that people like Captain America, Black Panther, and WOlverine are all pretty darn extraordinary people. If anyone heroes can wield power like that, it's them.

Mighty Member

This sort of thing happens with most high-powered characters and McGuffins over time. And, since the 90s, editorial discipline has eroded at the big two. It is similar to the reason that nearly no character stays dead, even z-listers like Scott or Cassie Lang.

The Infinity Gauntlet is like....a Crisis-scale event at DC. In 1985, it was the biggest arc in comics. In 2006, DC retreaded it. And, while that event was not perfect, it had some meaning. In 2008, DC brought back Barry Allen (maybe 5 years after bringing back Jason Todd) during "Final Crisis". Then, in 2011, "Flashpoint", which was effectively a Crisis. In that span of time, the Anti-Monitor came back twice, despite being intended to be used only once in the 80s.

How many times has Jean Grey died? Similarly, look at the Phoenix Force.

More generally, consider time travel or travel between universes (which are often numbered for convenience and necessity).

I am not defending Marvel or DC. But, the situation you describe with the Gauntlet is hardly unique. (And, as much as I like "Time Runs Out", you are right. The Gauntlet become a casual use McGuffin.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Because those stories where it was a rare thing were already done and there's no point pretending it's a rare thing when there are so many of those stories.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Remember when Galactus was an old Testament God analog? Same sort of thing happens whenever characters and items and places and whatnot are used more and more often. part of the reason why I like that The Silver Surfer rarely appears these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    This sort of thing happens with most high-powered characters and McGuffins over time. And, since the 90s, editorial discipline has eroded at the big two. It is similar to the reason that nearly no character stays dead, even z-listers like Scott or Cassie Lang.

The Infinity Gauntlet is like....a Crisis-scale event at DC. In 1985, it was the biggest arc in comics. In 2006, DC retreaded it. And, while that event was not perfect, it had some meaning. In 2008, DC brought back Barry Allen (maybe 5 years after bringing back Jason Todd) during "Final Crisis". Then, in 2011, "Flashpoint", which was effectively a Crisis. In that span of time, the Anti-Monitor came back twice, despite being intended to be used only once in the 80s.

How many times has Jean Grey died? Similarly, look at the Phoenix Force.

More generally, consider time travel or travel between universes (which are often numbered for convenience and necessity).

I am not defending Marvel or DC. But, the situation you describe with the Gauntlet is hardly unique. (And, as much as I like "Time Runs Out", you are right. The Gauntlet become a casual use McGuffin.)
    Shoot. Look at Galactus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Remember when Galactus was an old Testament God analog? Same sort of thing happens whenever characters and items and places and whatnot are used more and more often. part of the reason why I like that The Silver Surfer rarely appears these days.
    Dang. Should've read a little down the page to see someone else made this shout out, too. lol

I would love to get one of those Infinity Gauntlet oven mitts one day...

Makes the street level guys look special, I guess.

This sort of thing happens with most high-powered characters and McGuffins over time. And, since the 90s, editorial discipline has eroded at the big two.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Because those stories where it was a rare thing were already done and there's no point pretending it's a rare thing when there are so many of those stories.
    I disagree. It's still a rare thing, and it can still be treated as such. With the gems, there are infinite possibilities, so why not expand on them? Even now, I could cook up a couple stories with just the Soul Gem in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I don't believe it has anything to do with how often it's used. I'd argue that the right writer could make it a prominent background item, without disrespecting its capabilities. Maybe once in a while it could be given a more prominent role in certain stories. Unfortunately, this just hasn't happened with the gauntlet.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 10-18-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Back when the Infinity Gauntlet was created, there was a sense of awe and rarity behind it. It was a powerful artifact, so much so that normal beings couldn't simply wear it and expect to handle the power within. Nebula could barely control the power, just as Doctor Doom could barely handle the Beyonder's power. The gems on the gauntlet were considered as mysterious and all-powerful items that could only be wielded by beings with immense power. Just to get a single gem would be considered a monumental challenge, let alone collecting all six. There was this massive buildup to Thanos collecting the gems, and, when he finally did, there was a sense of ultimate triumph and defeat. There was no going back.

Nowadays, it seems as though the gems can be collected on a whim, and that the Infinity Gauntlet itself is as easy to use as a hammer. How was Captain America able to wield it without going mad, in Time Runs Out? At least he struggled a bit, but when we see Black Panther in Secret Wars, he wields it with little effort. Now, Wolverine seems to be in possession of a gem without any rhyme or reason. Furthermore, how was the Illuminati able to keep the gems hidden for so long? Why wasn't there trillions of contenders at Earth's doorstep, all pining after the gems? Are they just useless trinkets to the universe at large?

I call it shitty storytelling by shitty storytellers. Just my opinion, of course.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Amazing Member

... and why is it always Thanos' gauntlet? If Cap has the gems why not put them on his glove? Or an Infinity Crown, or whatever? It just reinforces over and over a link between the gems and Thanos. Like they belong to him and the person wearing them just knows deep down inside that they don't really own them themselves. Like they have to return them to Thanos.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

It's bad, lazy, story tellinG and it cheapens the original story. I know alot of things get reused over and over like the phoenix, but its worse with the gauntlet because it was supposedly deemed not to work again by the living tribunal... only for it to work again without explanation.

Ultimate Member

How many times has the Infinity Gauntlet been wielded in the last 10 years?

It's not that many times.

Particularly in the 616 universe.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-18-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Because in TRO it was used to establish two things. 1 the situation they were facing was so big that not even the nigh all powerful infinity gauntlet could stop what was coming without being destroyed (it's also an extension of ones will and Cap came off like he was still unsure of using it as you could see when he first recommended that T'Challa or Reed use the gauntlet) and only briefly halting the death of everything.

And 2 once Doom took all the beyonders Power, it was the only thing that could even hope to moderately stand against it. Even though Doom took the power of the beyonders strange still realized that there would need to be check in place. hence why he had kept it secret. Tchalla is one of the most determined heroes with immense will power and Given he knew his role to to ay Doom and distract him. It allowed him to play on one of his greatest super powers, the power of causing others to underestimate him.