Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Cmbmool, I read your message back in page 2, and I have to say, I share your exact opinion. I mean, I'm really sick of stories about post apocalyptic futures; especially since our world is worse everyday and I would really like to see an optimistic future. Besides, Mayday has a "happy life", but it's way far away from a "happy ending". I mean, everyone thinks MC2 is like a "happy place" full of sassy stuff where everything is right; but they are wrong. The only "Disney" clue I found in this world is the fact that, although horrible things can always happen, there's always hope for a future. Just think about all the horrible things that it happened to Mayday, because I don't call this a "happy ending":
    + Her little brother turned into Carnage Junior, and his ears almost lost after using a sonic weapon against him which could have left him deaf.
    + Her body stole by Araña and his life stole by a symbiote-clone.
    + Norman Osborn resurrected in his father's body and almost makes him her family.
    + Almost killed by the Scrier and several other killers.
    + An apocalyptic future caused because of her lunatic clone.

And the Spider-Family is not the only one trapped inside nightmares, but with a potential hope for a future where it can be solved. Let's see:
    + After saving the Invisible Woman, the Fantastic Four lose Reed Richards as his mind is sent to a limbo along with Dr Doom's.
    + Franklin Richards absorbs a great dose of cosmic rays that turn him into a "Ghost Rider's parody" and now needs to seal himself into a containment helmet.
    + The Hulk is trapped inside a limbo along with Loki, after he ruined his life on Earth.
    + The Mutant problems of the X-Men (who seem to have died in their last mission) has cursed several of May's friends too, like Nancy Lu (Push) and Sarah Hingle (Nucleus).
    + The Avengers lost one of their members in a mission, Crimson Curse; not to mention the death of Captain America against Loki's latest scheme.

Sure, thing always have to change as life itself, but there are "limits" for those changes to be allowed. "Superior Spider-Man" was a clear proof of that. So, under no circunstances, the Parker's family must NOT being "reduced" after this saga. Besides, there are several factors that could aim for the survivance of Mayday's family. Let's check these points:
    + Unlike her father, May has a lot of friends who could help her to protect her family, like they did in the past: Phil Urich (Green Goblin), Kaine, Darkdevil, the Avengers Next, the Fantastic Five... etc.
    + There's actually several spiders in her reality, asides of her family, which could cause Morlun to modify his objective: Gerry Drew (son of Spider-Woman I), Darkdevil (son of the Scarlet Spider), Kaine and even April (Mayhem). The latter was never seen again after her supposed death, but I suspect she could crearly survive.
    + Some of the other Spiders could have predicted the inminent danger of Morlun, so they could have taken some measures to protect the Parker family. I'm talking about Kaine's visions of the future, Araña's use of Madame Web's equipment, or maybe Black Tarantula's powers.

In the worst of the acceptable scenarios, Peter (Mayday's dad) would die. Why?, easy, because he has been asking for it. Let me explain. If you have noticed it, Mayday has a power that his father never had: spider-redemption. She has been able to turn her enemies into friends, many of them followed their father's evil legacy: Normie Osborn (Green Goblin), Venom's symbiote, Brenda Drago (daugther of the second Vulture), Kaine and even Aftershock (Electro's daugther). However, his father has always been an obstacle for May's modus operanti, as he has the old mind of a "old soldier" thinking "once a monster, always monster". And he has been always trying to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl, not because he's worried about her, but because he's actually jealous of his own daugther; as she has triumphed where he failed over and over. He last attempt to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl was disguising himself as a mercenary called "Wildcard" and subduing May with weapons designed against her; only for Mayday to surpass those weapons and knock him with one though "spider-punch". (Peter was really asking for that).

So, what can actually happen? Easy, Spider-Girl battles Morlun with everything she has, but it's not enough. Then, Peter jumps to action to protect his family, an act that cost him the life. After devouring Peter, Morlun tries to attack Mayday and Little Benjy, but a sudden attack from Spider-Girl's friends (like the ones who helped her to stop Seth), obligates him to retreat. This is as much as I can accept about affecting Mayday's world. If Peter ressurects at the end of the story with the other killed spiders, perfect. If he does not, I can accept it. Anything else happening to my girl, I swear to you that I will be worse that puting together a group of the worst berserks of Marvel: Hulk, Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Venom.
    This is a tangent, but while there are some problems in the world, and significant concerns about the future, there is a strong argument that things have never been better. Your odds of getting murdered or starving to death are lower than at any point in human history, and we have more resources at our disposal than ever before. Plus, life expectancy is increasing. If you want to feel more optimistic I recommend checking out Stephen Pinker's Better Angels Of Our Nature.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Well it looks like Mayday is appearing in Spider-verse after all
    http://www.newsarama.com/21569-marve...pider-man.html

All I have to say is if Slott is writing prepare for the worse for Mayday.
    Uh, why should I prepare the "worse" exactly?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Uh, why should I prepare the "worse" exactly?
    The marriage cartel seems to think Slott has a personal vendetta against MJ and the marriage. So Mayday would be brutally smeared on the pavement for laughs or something. And it is still an alt universe. There's still the other Mayday from Earth-X reality that was annihilated in Uncanny Avengers.

No word on the 616 Spider-Girl appearance in Spider-verse ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    The marriage cartel seems to think Slott has a personal vendetta against MJ and the marriage. So Mayday would be brutally smeared on the pavement for laughs or something. And it is still an alt universe. There's still the other Mayday from Earth-X reality that was annihilated in Uncanny Avengers.

No word on the 616 Spider-Girl appearance in Spider-verse ?
    Won't someone think of Spider-Man's children?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    The marriage cartel seems to think Slott has a personal vendetta against MJ and the marriage.
    Well, he has expressed a dislike for the marriage and in recent interviews seems to be rather disinterested in MJ's character as a whole. And going a point further, his recent treatment of Felicia and in some respects MJ does give the impression that he has no problem railroading or sidelining a character for the sake of a story.

That sort of combination can make someone wary of Slott actually taking the reigns of a character that is the result of a union between Peter and MJ when they were married, especially during an event that advertises the death of any and all Spider-Man related characters across the multiverse. If he has no problem making Felicia into an outright supervillain, and sidelining MJ in the narrative and badmouthing her in interviews, then it doesn't give people a lot of confidence that he would treat a character like Mayday with the same respect that he would treat his own characters.

So Mayday would be brutally smeared on the pavement for laughs or something. And it is still an alt universe. There's still the other Mayday from Earth-X reality that was annihilated in Uncanny Avengers.
    True. But, again, knowing Slott, he'd might be likely to say that it was the "real" Mayday and that there is no other alternate universe May's out there.
    Last edited by RobertMacQuarrie1; 07-19-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Nah, she will be pulled into the main universe and made a staple or reacurring charecter. This in an of it self will have tons of story potential. This event is a great way to expand the spider-verse. Possible role call : Spidey(Peter), Spidey 2099, Superior spidey, Spider-girl, Kain as Kain, Scarlet Spider (Ben). Thee are the obvious, there are of course a number of other possibles, like the Gwen Spider-woman may stick around. Any of this or all of this is a great way to expand the franchise and create tons of stories. Hell, you could easily write a decades worth of stories from including these charecters.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Well, he has expressed a dislike for the marriage and in recent interviews seems to be rather disinterested in MJ's character as a whole. And going a point further, his recent treatment of Felicia and in some respects MJ does give the impression that he has no problem railroading or sidelining a character for the sake of a story.

That sort of combination can make someone wary of Slott actually taking the reigns of a character that is the result of a union between Peter and MJ when they were married, especially during an event that advertises the death of any and all Spider-Man related characters across the multiverse. If he has no problem making Felicia into an outright supervillain, and sidelining MJ in the narrative and badmouthing her in interviews, then it doesn't give people a lot of confidence that he would treat a character like Mayday with the same respect that he would treat his own characters.
    I'll be honest, I don't see that from Dan Slott.
    My impression of him as a writer, is that if you gave him anything to write at Marvel, he would take it gleefully and express it to the high heavens on how happy he is, no matter what the situation is. So if he could only write out DarthFury's ideas with Spider-Man, Slott would take it cause he's still writing his favourite character.

When it comes with respects to the marriage, he wouldn't have mind writing him married cause he still writing him married. But he's been around long enough, and seen enough stories to know it didn't lead to the greatest ideas (coughFACADEcough). So for him personally, he doesn't care for it either way. And judging from how everyone in the past had acted in the BND era (I didn't pay any attention at the time but this is what I can tell), a lot of hardcore people kept taking shots at him and Marvel a lot for a very bad story they never owned up to. So he got turned off from the idea, but at the same time they are still iconic characters, so he has to use them.

With MJ, Slott to me just doesn't wanna be known as the guy who brings them back together. And he wants to give the next writer or whoever works next the same advantages he had when he wrote the characters, and as a lot of people have mentioned, once Peter and MJ get back together theres nothing much to tell that isn't new. And Slott wants to tell new stories. And its pretty much 50/50 each time he comes with a new idea.

So really I don't see him doing something horrible to Mayday because he hates the character or how happy the family is, but more because horrible things didn't happen in that series. The worst thing you could say would be Ben losing his hearing, but even that got fixed. So he will do something horrible because it's new, not because he hates them.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    Nah, she will be pulled into the main universe and made a staple or reacurring charecter. This in an of it self will have tons of story potential. This event is a great way to expand the spider-verse. Possible role call : Spidey(Peter), Spidey 2099, Superior spidey, Spider-girl, Kain as Kain, Scarlet Spider (Ben). Thee are the obvious, there are of course a number of other possibles, like the Gwen Spider-woman may stick around. Any of this or all of this is a great way to expand the franchise and create tons of stories. Hell, you could easily write a decades worth of stories from including these charecters.
    I wouldn't mind a Spider-Team book. It would be of course led by Peter. Subplots could include Kaine looking for forgiveness from Ben, Otto trying to not be a dickbag, Mayday trying to make sense of a new world where her dad is still an active superhero and so on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    and as a lot of people have mentioned, once Peter and MJ get back together theres nothing much to tell that isn't new
    A lot of those people talk narrow-minded nonsense. There are decades worth of fresh stories to tell with Peter and MJ married. The daily strip is still producing fun stories with them together, and all you have to do to give it a new dynamic in 616 is give them a kid. DeFalco barely scratched the surface on how Peter looked after a baby while still being active as Spidey in the "Mr and Mrs Spider-Man" strips.

"New" does'nt always neccersarily mean "good", especially if all the "new" stuff turns out to be blatant character assasination

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    True. But, again, knowing Slott, he'd might be likely to say that it was the "real" Mayday and that there is no other alternate universe May's out there.
    Would that include the Baby May that was born at the climax of the 2009 Clone Saga remake? Because if so, that would be brutal on his part, he'd take a lot of heat for killing a Parker infant (another fear is he will do this to Benjy)

Also, the UK Spidey comics has a future timeline where Mayday is active as Spider-Girl

Slott can say what he likes, but the fans don't have to accept it, and I've already seen several Spider-Girl fans on her forums say they are treating this not as canon but as a "curiosity" if worse comes to worse.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-20-2014 at 06:34 AM.

BANNED

Given all this talk about Mayday's fate in Spider-verse, I would like to refer the fans to a fan-fiction story that I once read that had Mayday Parker play a major supporting role within the story. It also HONORS the legacy of Spider-man and even undo the Superior Spider-man in just one chapter...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6872174...amily-The-Hunt

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    won't someone think of spider-man's children?
    lol. +10

BANNED

Going back over my earlier statement, when I compared Spider-girl to a Disney themed movie, I meant by how the heroes that we know overcame various odds to achieve a "happy ending" for themselves.

Despite the various bad things that occurred in the MC-2. Universe, it still a much brighter world than that of the regular Marvel Universe.

I wonder if this would ever lead to a darker, Superior Spider-Girl title, trapped in 616 with no home to go back to. She could even upgrade to Otto's costume (if he's not around after Spider-Verse).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
    I wonder if this would ever lead to a darker, Superior Spider-Girl title, trapped in 616 with no home to go back to. She could even upgrade to Otto's costume (if he's not around after Spider-Verse).
    Not to rub it in, but I seen a Fan-fic just like that idea...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1012237...partan-Arachne