Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spider-Girl in Spider-verse

Well it looks like Mayday is appearing in Spider-verse after all
    http://www.newsarama.com/21569-marve...pider-man.html

All I have to say is if Slott is writing prepare for the worse for Mayday.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Well it looks like Mayday is appearing in Spider-verse after all
    http://www.newsarama.com/21569-marve...pider-man.html

All I have to say is if Slott is writing prepare for the worse for Mayday.
    I'll say this about Slott, is that deep down he respects and loves the fan-bases for the not as popular characters. He constantly brings up what happened with Spider-Girl for whenever there are other books that are in danger of going away, just to stay because of their fan-bases.

So maybe he might kill off Mayday's family or just Mayday, but I really doubt that. I just don't expect Mayday and MJ to meet at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'll say this about Slott, is that deep down he respects and loves the fan-bases for the not as popular characters. He constantly brings up what happened with Spider-Girl for whenever there are other books that are in danger of going away, just to stay because of their fan-bases.

So maybe he might kill off Mayday's family or just Mayday, but I really doubt that. I just don't expect Mayday and MJ to meet at all.
    I just expect the worse from most of the big name Marvel writers since most of them seem to have a need to do something controversial just to get their names on top. Gillen creating a brother for Stark, Bendis destroying Wanda HOM, and so on. Really Slott killing Mayday is no surprise I'm just disappointed he needs to go the Cry for Justice route kill the characters family. If Mayday survives i predict her becoming an anti hero with anger issues and monologuing.

I just expect the worse from most of the big name Marvel writers since most of them seem to have a need to do something controversial just to get their names on top. Gillen creating a brother for Stark, Bendis destroying Wanda HOM, and so on. Really Slott killing Mayday is no surprise I'm just disappointed he needs to go the Cry for Justice route kill the characters family. If Mayday survives i predict her becoming an anti hero with anger issues and monologuing.
    Pretty sure Slott doing anything bad to Mayday wouldn't even amount to half the controversial things that Slott has been apart of since '08.

But seriously, I don't think Slott would want to piss off Mayday fans just to hype up Spider-Verse. I remember on the old CBR forums when SSM#2 came out and Slott said on the old forum he was sorry for any of the marriage fans that thought Peter and Mary Jane would get back together, while talking shots at anyone who said there was gonna be rape in the comics. So really, at the end of the day Slott still respects all of the fans, and while he'll have fun teasing them, he's not gonna do something for the sake of being controversial or pissing off fans.

Anyways I'm actually excited to see someone else write Mayday for once. With her story it was clear that no one at Marvel really wanted to write it for random reasons, and DeFlaco seriously needed to stop writing her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Pretty sure Slott doing anything bad to Mayday wouldn't even amount to half the controversial things that Slott has been apart of since '08.

But seriously, I don't think Slott would want to piss off Mayday fans just to hype up Spider-Verse. I remember on the old CBR forums when SSM#2 came out and Slott said on the old forum he was sorry for any of the marriage fans that thought Peter and Mary Jane would get back together, while talking shots at anyone who said there was gonna be rape in the comics. So really, at the end of the day Slott still respects all of the fans, and while he'll have fun teasing them, he's not gonna do something for the sake of being controversial or pissing off fans.

Anyways I'm actually excited to see someone else write Mayday for once. With her story it was clear that no one at Marvel really wanted to write it for random reasons, and DeFlaco seriously needed to stop writing her.
    I have a hard time believing that given how this is the same writer who has been telling his detractors that Superior is his greatest work.
    Though lets hope your right I've had all I can stand of writers stepping on others work or just killing off characters for cheap shock value. Besides whats wrong with character being written by one sole writer. For instance i prefer Thanos being written by Starlin since every writer at Marvel either portrays him as a brick or just have him look humiliated to prompt up other characters. If Spider-Girl can only be written by Defalco than so be it. If Slott needs a Spider-Girl why not use the one from Marvel X.

Astonishing Member

I have a hard time believing that given how this is the same writer who has been telling his detractors that Superior is his greatest work.
    Though lets hope your right I've had all I can stand of writers stepping on others work or just killing off characters for cheap shock value. Besides whats wrong with character being written by one sole writer. For instance i prefer Thanos being written by Starlin since every writer at Marvel either portrays him as a brick or just have him look humiliated to prompt up other characters. If Spider-Girl can only be written by Defalco than so be it. If Slott needs a Spider-Girl why not use the one from Marvel's Earth X.
    I think that Slott needs to use a Spider-Girl whose related to Peter Parker x Felicia Hardy or Peter Parker x Natasha Romanov. As for the Earth X version, her name is Venom!!!

I'm nervous. On one hand it's great to see Mayday in a comic. On the other it's Dan Slott writing and I'm not sure how he feels about the character. It seems to me that if he doesn't like a character he will write them poorly or kill them off. I'm really hoping that nervousness is just my own cynical paranoia and won't come true.

BANNED

I recently stumbled on some cool art by Ron Frenz of Mayday wearing Kane's current Scarlet Spider outfit. I can't tell if this was a commision for a fan, a fun project Ron did for himself, or if it's leading anywhere, but my headcanon currently has it as that's what Mayday is currently wearing as she continues to have unseen adventures, and that whatever happens to this Mayday is just another one of the many alternate universes where she is active as Spider-Girl (keep in mind, there is also the UK comics continuity which has a similar timeline to MC2)

I am slightly weary because this is again Marvel trying to give fans what they want without actually doing so (In Superior's case, "Hey, Peter and MJ are together...but no, Peter ain't Spider-Man", in THIS case, it's "Hey, we're bringing back the marraige and the Parker offspring..but it's an alternate future")

That said, while Slott is a divisive writer, he's no dummy, he is very self-aware of the franchise to a meta degree. he is a fan of just about anything Spidey (he even likes the newspaper strip, and Peter is very happily married there...wonder if we'll see him in this?) and I've heard he really liked Mayday's comic, so he might do her justice here. I am fully expecting MC2 Peter, the one Parker with a complete story, to be denied a happy ending and get knocked off, I think MJ and Baby Ben will survive.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-15-2014 at 02:10 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I just expect the worse from most of the big name Marvel writers since most of them seem to have a need to do something controversial just to get their names on top.
    Um, he killed Peter Parker and replaced him with Otto Octavius. No offense, but doing anything to Mayday would be extremely small potatoes compared to this.

Why shouldn't he be proud of SSM? I'm sure he appreciates that some people didn't like it, but that doesn't mean he can't be proud of his work the book.

On topic, I hope he does Mayday well. It'll be nice to see her again and perhaps, just perhaps, Slott is trying to get her a new series set up as he was a part of Morbius, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Spider-Man 2099, etc.
    Last edited by exile001; 07-15-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Um, he killed Peter Parker and replaced him with Otto Octavius. No offense, but doing anything to Mayday would be extremely small potatoes compared to this.

Why shouldn't he be proud of SSM? I'm sure he appreciates that some people didn't like it, but that doesn't mean he can't be proud of his work the book.

On topic, I hope he does Mayday well. It'll be nice to see her again and perhaps, just perhaps, Slott is trying to get her a new series set up as he was a part of Morbius, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Spider-Man 2099, etc.
    I hope that MC2 Spider-Girl stays in her universe and allow an alternate Spider-Girl have a shot like Galina Tsarfin or Felicity Parker from the Next Avengers!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I hope that MC2 Spider-Girl stays in her universe and allow an alternate Spider-Girl have a shot like Galina Tsarfin or Felicity Parker from the Next Avengers!!!
    Next Avengers? I missed that, was it a mini? When was it published and was it any good?

Ultimate Member

His recent abysmal treatment of both MJ and Black Cat does not exactly inspire confidence.

Astonishing Member

Next Avengers? I missed that, was it a mini? When was it published and was it any good?
    I believed that the story took place in the New Avengers series before it was turned into the illuminati:

This version of Spider-Girl has Felicia's hair color, and her demeanor is somewhat similar to the Black Cat. In addition, she has organic webbing, just like her father.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    His recent abysmal treatment of both MJ and Black Cat does not exactly inspire confidence.
    I agree with you 100 percent. If a writer doesn't like the characters, then he should not use them at all if he isn't going to use them in the proper manner in relationship to the publication's character history. It's such a waste to make Felicia into a villain when he could have used existing ones like Mystique or Deathstrike. And it might have been better just to write MJ out of the series for the remainder of his run as writer of Spider-Man and use Betty Brant or Jennifer Walters(human form) in her place.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-15-2014 at 05:45 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    This. Slott's handling of established characters over the years has been appauling. although given Slott once wrote a story in She-Hulk where alternative universe versions vacationed on 616 and could be potentially blamed for any out-of-character moments, I would'nt be surprised if this is all just a tad bit deliberate on his end with an intention to reveal all is not what it seems. Could just be me wishing really hard for a quick fix, but it would be an interesting extension of his existing storylines and a further play on his meta fiction fascination.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Yeah I agree that anything he does to Mayday would be small potatoes compared to replacing Peter with Otto.

As for Mayday herself, it'll be nice to see her again so hopefully Slott will do at least an ok job in writing her.