Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Symbiote View Post
    I would argue that Sins Past would be a period that they would like to forget. It just seems like a total slap in the face that they would dig out a character that is CLEARLY established as living in an alternate reality, and ruin her life and the happy ending she and her parents got, just for them to completely make Peter parker single, lonely and miserable (or dead) in every reality.
    I feel that once the current powers that be at Marvel are gone, most of the bad things that was done to Peter Parker will be reversed. Those in charge remember Spider-Man from the late 1970's to the mid-1980's. But most of the changes of Spider-Man in recent years are the ideas of Dan Slott. I feel that once Marvel makes Peter the same in all time lines, it will get very boring really quickly as if they are killing their own creativity. For now, Marvel is making a ton of cash with Dan Slott at the helm. But if comic book sales begins to decline for a certain period of time, Marvel can replace Slott with another writer once he contract has concluded. But I feel that it won't happen for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I have a suspicion that May might survive.

However, her Peter might not make it out of Spider-Verse.

It is interesting that they are kicking it off with her. It makes me wonder how big of a role she will play in the series, or if this is just an introduction and she'll be moved to the background for other characters.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking is going to happen with this, as well. And thus with the MC2 Peter Parker killed, it gives Mayday added motivation to join up with the other Spider-Men and Women to stop Morlun and the other folks hunting down "Spiders"--revenge for the death of her father.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Hopefully Mayday doesn't die and she eventually meets Anya in Spiderverse.

Her family hopefully will turn out okay too.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 07-17-2014 at 12:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I feel that once the current powers that be at Marvel are gone, most of the bad things that was done to Peter Parker will be reversed. Those in charge remember Spider-Man from the late 1970's to the mid-1980's. But most of the changes of Spider-Man in recent years are the ideas of Dan Slott. I feel that once Marvel makes Peter the same in all time lines, it will get very boring really quickly as if they are killing their own creativity. For now, Marvel is making a ton of cash with Dan Slott at the helm. But if comic book sales begins to decline for a certain period of time, Marvel can replace Slott with another writer once he contract has concluded. But I feel that it won't happen for quite some time.
    You're right Darth. Ultimatley Marvel is a buisness that will thrive without these people and those that grew up on the Shooter era or the late 80s/90s will want to put their nostalgic stamp all over the franchise...of course the danger is once those people are gone, those who grew up on the Quesada/Alonzo years will want that back and before you know it, we're stuck in a never-ending loop of conflicting preference.

I've read comments from Spider-Girl fans saying they are treating this as a "curiosity" and not something canonical. I can relate, as I don't even think the Spidey 2099 running around in 616 at the moment is the Miguel I grew up reading either (and that's even with Peter David writing him). There are also several timelines where Mayday is running about, so her fate in this upcoming issue could really be attributed to any one of those and not the "real one" (For example the UK Spidey comics have a future timeline very similar to MC2, right down to Peter having a bad leg and being retired)

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    That's exactly what I'm thinking is going to happen with this, as well. And thus with the MC2 Peter Parker killed, it gives Mayday added motivation to join up with the other Spider-Men and Women to stop Morlun and the other folks hunting down "Spiders"--revenge for the death of her father.
    Surely the motivation to protect all of her family would be better than turning her from upbeat optimist to vengeful character? As I said earlier, that would be a monumental disservice to her fans and radically alter her. Even if she got a new ongoing out of this, she would never be the same character again.

If you're going to kill anyone off from MC2, just make it Kane. Mayday would still want revenge, but as long as she has her full family's preservation in mind, she won't be clouded by vindictive thoughts too much.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-17-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Best case: She'll just be written badly and not have much to do. (See MJ)

Possible case: She'll turn cartoonishly evil for implausible reasons. (See Felicia)

Worse case: She'll be killed off for 'dramatic' purposes. (See Silver Sable. And Mattie Franklin, pre-Slott)

It's not been a great few years for Spidey's (established) supporting female cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

Possible case: She'll turn cartoonishly evil for implausible reasons. (See Felicia)

Worse case: She'll be killed off for 'dramatic' purposes. (See Silver Sable. And Mattie Franklin, pre-Slott)

It's not been a great few years for Spidey's (established) supporting female cast.
    I'm kinda worried for her. Slott is a great writer at times but his treatment of the women in Peter's life has been really detestable. Except for Anna Marie and maybe Aunt May too.

BANNED

He's pretty bad at writing Spider-Man altogether at the moment. I don't know why that is, considering he can behave himself when he wants to and put out great work. I'm not saying this as someone who's bitter about OMD either, as Slott was my favourite of the BND writers and I loved Spider-Island. However I've become entirely convinced he's written the BND universe and it's cast of characters the way he has with the full intention of revealing it's not the proper continuity, either that, or he feels he can do whatever he wants knowing it'll be swept under the rug as soon as he gives someone else a turn or if, indeed, Marvel are intending on a reboot next year.

I don't know, I'm certain he has a master plan for the franchise and Spider-Verse is for all intents and purposes a defining part of that plan, and where everything will finally come together and answer some questions. I hope Spider-Girl is a vital part of the story, devoting the cover to her is a big indicator she won't be a minor player.

Like I've said, I sort of trust and don't trust Slott. This will be the ultimate test to see if his handling of Peter's iconic female characters is definitively poor, or if he'll rein himself in a bit and show he can rise to the occasion beyond just his own creations (and frankly, Anna Marie now does nothing for me). He's not just writing Mayday in this issue, but possibly also a happily married and matured MJ. Issue eight will be the first time since 2007 that the marriage will be part of ASM, so I hope it is'nt yet another excuse to end it once again with Peter dying and thus opening up wounds that have just about healed.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    He's pretty bad at writing Spider-Man altogether at the moment. I don't know why that is, considering he can behave himself when he wants to and put out great work. I'm not saying this as someone who's bitter about OMD either, as Slott was my favourite of the BND writers and I loved Spider-Island. However I've become entirely convinced he's written the BND universe and it's cast of characters the way he has with the full intention of revealing it's not the proper continuity, either that, or he feels he can do whatever he wants knowing it'll be swept under the rug as soon as he gives someone else a turn or if, indeed, Marvel are intending on a reboot next year.

I don't know, I'm certain he has a master plan for the franchise and Spider-Verse is for all intents and purposes a defining part of that plan, and where everything will finally come together and answer some questions. I hope Spider-Girl is a vital part of the story, devoting the cover to her is a big indicator she won't be a minor player.

Like I've said, I sort of trust and don't trust Slott. This will be the ultimate test to see if his handling of Peter's iconic female characters is definitively poor, or if he'll rein himself in a bit and show he can rise to the occasion beyond just his own creations (and frankly, Anna Marie now does nothing for me). He's not just writing Mayday in this issue, but possibly also a happily married and matured MJ. Issue eight will be the first time since 2007 that the marriage will be part of ASM, so I hope it is'nt yet another excuse to end it once again with Peter dying and thus opening up wounds that have just about healed.
    Well said, Cam. Particularly, the sentence that I just bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Surely the motivation to protect all of her family would be better than turning her from upbeat optimist to vengeful character? As I said earlier, that would be a monumental disservice to her fans and radically alter her. Even if she got a new ongoing out of this, she would never be the same character again.

If you're going to kill anyone off from MC2, just make it Kane. Mayday would still want revenge, but as long as she has her full family's preservation in mind, she won't be clouded by vindictive thoughts too much.
    Oh, of course. However, based on how Julia Carpenter foretold in Superior Spider-Man #20 of how "All the spiders will die!" and that we saw Morlun kill Spider-Man 1602 in that Free Comic Book Day issue, "Spider-Verse" looks like it's going to be a "deck-clearing" of all the alternate Spider-Man and Peter Parker analogues from other alternate realities Marvel deems "superfluous" while keeping those who have better fan-bases, like Spider-Man Noir, Ultimate, 2099, and Spider-Girl.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Well, hopefully she didn't mean literally "all" since that includes all the 616 Spiders too and I don't see Marvel killing 616 Peter again anytime soon.

Whatever the case, I want May and her family to come out of this okay. Would be a shame if someone close to her, family or her boyfriend, dies so she can angst.

BANNED

It's always someone destroying someone. Pre-complaining before the story hits the stands is just plain silly. Also proves just how scared some readers are of actual change despite often claiming the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Also proves just how scared some readers are of actual change despite often claiming the exact opposite.
    It does? Is change/development defined as simply killing off/evilising popular characters?

Perhaps in the most semantic/literal terms, that's true. If a character is alive and then they aren't, then yes, something has definitely changed there. But I'm pretty sure that's not what those readers who welcome change are looking for.

And I don't think many people on this thread are pre-complaining. It's more like pre-concern for a popular character, based on post-concern for a number of female characters who haven't fared well during Slott's reign.

Just realised, I missed one. Add Marla Jameson to the 'killed off for dramatic purposes' list.

BANNED

It does? Is change/development defined as simply killing off/evilising popular characters?
    Sometimes, yes. "You" want progression, but only happy-go-lucky. "You" want marriage, but not the potential threat to Mayday's dad who has always lived in near-constant peril. Who knows how the story will play out? Maybe Peter gets threatened, but he can't fight anymore and Mayday steps up and sneaks out. Who knows. But if you're already "concerned", your best bet is just not to read it. We know that's not gonna happen, though.

Perhaps in the most semantic/literal terms, that's true. If a character is alive and then they aren't, then yes, something has definitely changed there. But I'm pretty sure that's not what those readers who welcome change are looking for.

And I don't think many people on this thread are pre-complaining. It's more like pre-concern for a popular character, based on post-concern for a number of female characters who haven't fared well during Slott's reign.
    Yeah, it's pre-complaining. It's basically the usual nerdrage that happens whenever a character someone likes isn't treated like the king/queen they are in a reader's mind. MJ gets a cool-ass scene toward the end of Spider-Island, not so much to do during Superior, and suddenly Slott is a terrible person toward her. There's so much "but what have you done for me lately" in all this that this thread probably needs to be medicated.

Sometimes, yes. "You" want progression, but only happy-go-lucky. "You" want marriage, but not the potential threat to Mayday's dad who has always lived in near-constant peril. Who knows how the story will play out? Maybe Peter gets threatened, but he can't fight anymore and Mayday steps up and sneaks out. Who knows. But if you're already "concerned", your best bet is just not to read it. We know that's not gonna happen, though.
    Do we? I can only speak for meself, but I'm not. Since OMD, I've only been a Spidey observer. I'm not buying the book(s), but I keep up-to-date with what's what. Not so much for Spidey himself (cause alternative time-line Spidey still weirds me out a bit), but for the characters that I am interested in, such as MJ, Felicia, Mayday, etc... Sure, big picture, I ain't reading the book so what happens to those characters doesn't impact me on any huge scale... But if we weren't invested in comic book characters at all, then why would we buy anything?

Yeah, it's pre-complaining. It's basically the usual nerdrage that happens whenever a character someone likes isn't treated like the king/queen they are in a reader's mind. MJ gets a cool-ass scene toward the end of Spider-Island, not so much to do during Superior, and suddenly Slott is a terrible person toward her. There's so much "but what have you done for me lately" in all this that this thread probably needs to be medicated.
    But again, isn't 'nerdrage' just indicative of people's interest in those characters? If I like a character, I just want to see them written well and ideally not dead and/or evil. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, and it doesn't seem to suggest that any kind of coronation would be necessary.

And you said it yourself. MJ gets a cool-ass scene in one story. In three years. Surely people could hope/expect for a little more without getting the kind of reaction you'd expect from Mr. Limbkins.