Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Oh, of course. However, based on how Julia Carpenter foretold in Superior Spider-Man #20 of how "All the spiders will die!" and that we saw Morlun kill Spider-Man 1602 in that Free Comic Book Day issue, "Spider-Verse" looks like it's going to be a "deck-clearing" of all the alternate Spider-Man and Peter Parker analogues from other alternate realities Marvel deems "superfluous" while keeping those who have better fan-bases, like Spider-Man Noir, Ultimate, 2099, and Spider-Girl.
    I think I read an interview from Nick Lowe saying some Spiders will indeed survive Spider-Verse, probably a mix of cult favourites as well as a few of Slott's new creations, Marvel probably have every intention of launching mini-series and regular books focusing on them in the following year or so dealing with how they move on from this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    And you said it yourself. MJ gets a cool-ass scene in one story. In three years. Surely people could hope/expect for a little more without getting the kind of reaction you'd expect from Mr. Limbkins.
    I don't read the books, but I keep up to date, from what I gather, MJ does have another kick-ass moment in Superior during "Goblin Nation" where, armed with web-shooters, she holds her own, but then such a brave action is completly tarnished by her outright cowardice at the end of the whole story.

Still, it's possible editorial is breathing down Slott's neck where MJ's concerned, and to be fair, in the last couple of issues (including the end of Superior) he's let Christos Gage tackle all the MJ stuff
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-18-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I think I read an interview from Nick Lowe saying some Spiders will indeed survive Spider-Verse, probably a mix of cult favourites as well as a few of Slott's new creations, Marvel probably have every intention of launching mini-series and regular books focusing on them in the following year or so dealing with how they move on from this event.

I don't read the books, but I keep up to date, from what I gather, MJ does have another kick-ass moment in Superior during "Goblin Nation" where, armed with web-shooters, she holds her own, but then such a brave action is completly tarnished by her outright cowardice at the end of the whole story.

Still, it's possible editorial is breathing down Slott's neck where MJ's concerned, and to be fair, in the last couple of issues (including the end of Superior) he's let Christos Gage tackle all the MJ stuff
    I think that the Editorial are the ones who forced Slott to use MJ, even though he doesn't want to use her in his stories(and its shows by his poor portrayal of her being out of character). I feel that Slott should have convinced the Editorial staff to allow him to use Betty Brant as an alternate to Mary Jane and Jennifer Walters(Human form(mainly in Peter's social circles)/She-Hulk[on occasion as a guest in Spider-Man's world]) as an alternate to the Black Cat. Problem solved because had he used both of them, then his pet creation Carlie Cooper might have been better received among the fans because Jennifer Walters and Betty Brant's respective personalities are some what similar to Carlie. This is what I mean about doing a relationship story that gives the writer flexibility on character's that hold their interests and carry some of them over to the world of Spider-Man to integrate into the story.

Give a writer some flexibility by allowing them to use existing characters from other areas of the MU as a transition for their new characters that has ties to some of them and other writers might used them.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-18-2014 at 04:26 AM.

BANNED

That's true. I know Slott is eager to try new characters, but they have to be memorable and bounce off of existing characters, not have the established types cheerlead them blindly having only known them in comic time for about...what, three months or so...MJ, with her confidence issues, possibly thinking an Avenger like Jennifer, someone Peter's been hanging around on and off with in the urban superhero community for years prior to and including when MJ and Peter were serious, makes bundles of more sense.

To avoid the risk of sheer indifference, the writers must learn to encircle the fresh with the familiar. This is how DeFalco was able to make me care so much about Wes in the final issues of Spider-Girl, DeFalco had Mayday bounce from Normie Osborn to Flash and Felicia's jock son, to finally settling on the nerdy best friend who everyone rallied behind but was not pushed in the face of the reader, instead he was the one you rooted for since you felt Mayday was making poor relationship choices and he was on the outside looking in pining for her and stuck to her side even as she came to realize all of that.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-18-2014 at 05:05 AM.

BANNED

Do we? I can only speak for meself, but I'm not. Since OMD, I've only been a Spidey observer. I'm not buying the book(s), but I keep up-to-date with what's what. Not so much for Spidey himself (cause alternative time-line Spidey still weirds me out a bit), but for the characters that I am interested in, such as MJ, Felicia, Mayday, etc... Sure, big picture, I ain't reading the book so what happens to those characters doesn't impact me on any huge scale... But if we weren't invested in comic book characters at all, then why would we buy anything?

But again, isn't 'nerdrage' just indicative of people's interest in those characters? If I like a character, I just want to see them written well and ideally not dead and/or evil. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, and it doesn't seem to suggest that any kind of coronation would be necessary.

And you said it yourself. MJ gets a cool-ass scene in one story. In three years. Surely people could hope/expect for a little more without getting the kind of reaction you'd expect from Mr. Limbkins.
    Oh, you wanted more cool moments? Well, there's actually two during Spider-Island. She fights the giant mutant spiders while Peter is using Otto's octobots to distribute the cure from atop the Empire State Building. And at the end, she gets the city to light up the ESB with Spidey's colors as a thank you. Before Spider-Island, she sat Peter down after his "No one dies" storyline and drops some friendly wisdom on him. She opened her own night club, and a seemingly successful one at that for a while.

So, yes, it's pre-complaining. 'Cause she might not be around all the time, but Slott has treated her well more often than not. It's just that "nerdrage" makes people forget those times and focus on those "character assassination" moments so they can act like they're the only ones that know what's good for a character. It's pretty damn pitiful coming from grown adults who do nothing but complain about what a man-child is.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 07-18-2014 at 09:59 AM.

BANNED

What if Slott had the guts to kill off little Benjy Parker, but kept MJ, Peter and Mayday alive ?

I ask this because it was revealed in Amazing Spider-girl #30, that little Benjy Parker has ORGANIC WEBS at an early age. SO that could be Mourln's target besides Peter Parker and Mayday Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    So, yes, it's pre-complaining. 'Cause she might not be around all the time, but Slott has treated her well more often than not. It's just that "nerdrage" makes people forget those times and focus on those "character assassination" moments so they can act like they're the only ones that know what's good for a character. It's pretty damn pitiful coming from grown adults who do nothing but complain about what a man-child is.
    And yet the only rage, nerd related or otherwise, that I've seen on this thread has only come from one source.

Oh, you wanted more cool moments? Well, there's actually two during Spider-Island. She fights the giant mutant spiders while Peter is using Otto's octobots to distribute the cure from atop the Empire State Building. And at the end, she gets the city to light up the ESB with Spidey's colors as a thank you. Before Spider-Island, she sat Peter down after his "No one dies" storyline and drops some friendly wisdom on him. She opened her own night club, and a seemingly successful one at that for a while.

So you're saying we shouldn't complain when a character is portrayed as an idiot which was pretty much all of the Amazing Supporting cast during Superior even when they've been shown to be intelligent? I'm sorry but I have to highly disagree with that. From what I've seen Slott doesn't like MJ all that much.

This seems really... angry. Nobody is above criticism. (On both sides.) And yeah, there's still a lot of stuff because of OMD, but Slott leaves himself open to criticism from certain portions of the fans when he just reiterates the ending of OMIT, and takes to podcasts to whine about how nobody gives characters like Carlie Cooper a chance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This seems really... angry. Nobody is above criticism. (On both sides.) And yeah, there's still a lot of stuff because of OMD, but Slott leaves himself open to criticism from certain portions of the fans when he just reiterates the ending of OMIT, and takes to podcasts to whine about how nobody gives characters like Carlie Cooper a chance.
    I find it a tad ironic sadly how Carlie Cooper's character turned out via Superior and at Slott's writing too.

Even I can recall how Tom Defalco used Carlie Cooper in both a Spider-man story and in the MC-2 Universe.

Astonishing Member

Cmbmool, I read your message back in page 2, and I have to say, I share your exact opinion. I mean, I'm really sick of stories about post apocalyptic futures; especially since our world is worse everyday and I would really like to see an optimistic future. Besides, Mayday has a "happy life", but it's way far away from a "happy ending". I mean, everyone thinks MC2 is like a "happy place" full of sassy stuff where everything is right; but they are wrong. The only "Disney" clue I found in this world is the fact that, although horrible things can always happen, there's always hope for a future. Just think about all the horrible things that it happened to Mayday, because I don't call this a "happy ending":
    + Her little brother turned into Carnage Junior, and his ears almost lost after using a sonic weapon against him which could have left him deaf.
    + Her body stole by Araña and his life stole by a symbiote-clone.
    + Norman Osborn resurrected in his father's body and almost makes him her family.
    + Almost killed by the Scrier and several other killers.
    + An apocalyptic future caused because of her lunatic clone.

And the Spider-Family is not the only one trapped inside nightmares, but with a potential hope for a future where it can be solved. Let's see:
    + After saving the Invisible Woman, the Fantastic Four lose Reed Richards as his mind is sent to a limbo along with Dr Doom's.
    + Franklin Richards absorbs a great dose of cosmic rays that turn him into a "Ghost Rider's parody" and now needs to seal himself into a containment helmet.
    + The Hulk is trapped inside a limbo along with Loki, after he ruined his life on Earth.
    + The Mutant problems of the X-Men (who seem to have died in their last mission) has cursed several of May's friends too, like Nancy Lu (Push) and Sarah Hingle (Nucleus).
    + The Avengers lost one of their members in a mission, Crimson Curse; not to mention the death of Captain America against Loki's latest scheme.

Sure, thing always have to change as life itself, but there are "limits" for those changes to be allowed. "Superior Spider-Man" was a clear proof of that. So, under no circunstances, the Parker's family must NOT being "reduced" after this saga. Besides, there are several factors that could aim for the survivance of Mayday's family. Let's check these points:
    + Unlike her father, May has a lot of friends who could help her to protect her family, like they did in the past: Phil Urich (Green Goblin), Kaine, Darkdevil, the Avengers Next, the Fantastic Five... etc.
    + There's actually several spiders in her reality, asides of her family, which could cause Morlun to modify his objective: Gerry Drew (son of Spider-Woman I), Darkdevil (son of the Scarlet Spider), Kaine and even April (Mayhem). The latter was never seen again after her supposed death, but I suspect she could crearly survive.
    + Some of the other Spiders could have predicted the inminent danger of Morlun, so they could have taken some measures to protect the Parker family. I'm talking about Kaine's visions of the future, Araña's use of Madame Web's equipment, or maybe Black Tarantula's powers.

In the worst of the acceptable scenarios, Peter (Mayday's dad) would die. Why?, easy, because he has been asking for it. Let me explain. If you have noticed it, Mayday has a power that his father never had: spider-redemption. She has been able to turn her enemies into friends, many of them followed their father's evil legacy: Normie Osborn (Green Goblin), Venom's symbiote, Brenda Drago (daugther of the second Vulture), Kaine and even Aftershock (Electro's daugther). However, his father has always been an obstacle for May's modus operanti, as he has the old mind of a "old soldier" thinking "once a monster, always monster". And he has been always trying to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl, not because he's worried about her, but because he's actually jealous of his own daugther; as she has triumphed where he failed over and over. He last attempt to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl was disguising himself as a mercenary called "Wildcard" and subduing May with weapons designed against her; only for Mayday to surpass those weapons and knock him with one though "spider-punch". (Peter was really asking for that).

So, what can actually happen? Easy, Spider-Girl battles Morlun with everything she has, but it's not enough. Then, Peter jumps to action to protect his family, an act that cost him the life. After devouring Peter, Morlun tries to attack Mayday and Little Benjy, but a sudden attack from Spider-Girl's friends (like the ones who helped her to stop Seth), obligates him to retreat. This is as much as I can accept about affecting Mayday's world. If Peter ressurects at the end of the story with the other killed spiders, perfect. If he does not, I can accept it. Anything else happening to my girl, I swear to you that I will be worse that puting together a group of the worst berserks of Marvel: Hulk, Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Venom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Cmbmool, I read your message back in page 2, and I have to say, I share your exact opinion. I mean, I'm really sick of stories about post apocalyptic futures; especially since our world is worse everyday and I would really like to see an optimistic future. Besides, Mayday has a "happy life", but it's way far away from a "happy ending". I mean, everyone thinks MC2 is like a "happy place" full of sassy stuff where everything is right; but they are wrong. The only "Disney" clue I found in this world is the fact that, although horrible things can always happen, there's always hope for a future. Just think about all the horrible things that it happened to Mayday, because I don't call this a "happy ending":
    + Her little brother turned into Carnage Junior, and his ears almost lost after using a sonic weapon against him which could have left him deaf.
    + Her body stole by Araña and his life stole by a symbiote-clone.
    + Norman Osborn resurrected in his father's body and almost makes him her family.
    + Almost killed by the Scrier and several other killers.
    + An apocalyptic future caused because of her lunatic clone.

And the Spider-Family is not the only one trapped inside nightmares, but with a potential hope for a future where it can be solved. Let's see:
    + After saving the Invisible Woman, the Fantastic Four lose Reed Richards as his mind is sent to a limbo along with Dr Doom's.
    + Franklin Richards absorbs a great dose of cosmic rays that turn him into a "Ghost Rider's parody" and now needs to seal himself into a containment helmet.
    + The Hulk is trapped inside a limbo along with Loki, after he ruined his life on Earth.
    + The Mutant problems of the X-Men (who seem to have died in their last mission) has cursed several of May's friends too, like Nancy Lu (Push) and Sarah Hingle (Nucleus).
    + The Avengers lost one of their members in a mission, Crimson Curse; not to mention the death of Captain America against Loki's latest scheme.

Sure, thing always have to change as life itself, but there are "limits" for those changes to be allowed. "Superior Spider-Man" was a clear proof of that. So, under no circunstances, the Parker's family must NOT being "reduced" after this saga. Besides, there are several factors that could aim for the survivance of Mayday's family. Let's check these points:
    + Unlike her father, May has a lot of friends who could help her to protect her family, like they did in the past: Phil Urich (Green Goblin), Kaine, Darkdevil, the Avengers Next, the Fantastic Five... etc.
    + There's actually several spiders in her reality, asides of her family, which could cause Morlun to modify his objective: Gerry Drew (son of Spider-Woman I), Darkdevil (son of the Scarlet Spider), Kaine and even April (Mayhem). The latter was never seen again after her supposed death, but I suspect she could crearly survive.
    + Some of the other Spiders could have predicted the inminent danger of Morlun, so they could have taken some measures to protect the Parker family. I'm talking about Kaine's visions of the future, Araña's use of Madame Web's equipment, or maybe Black Tarantula's powers.

In the worst of the acceptable scenarios, Peter (Mayday's dad) would die. Why?, easy, because he has been asking for it. Let me explain. If you have noticed it, Mayday has a power that his father never had: spider-redemption. She has been able to turn her enemies into friends, many of them followed their father's evil legacy: Normie Osborn (Green Goblin), Venom's symbiote, Brenda Drago (daugther of the second Vulture), Kaine and even Aftershock (Electro's daugther). However, his father has always been an obstacle for May's modus operanti, as he has the old mind of a "old soldier" thinking "once a monster, always monster". And he has been always trying to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl, not because he's worried about her, but because he's actually jealous of his own daugther; as she has triumphed where he failed over and over. He last attempt to make Mayday stop being Spider-Girl was disguising himself as a mercenary called "Wildcard" and subduing May with weapons designed against her; only for Mayday to surpass those weapons and knock him with one though "spider-punch". (Peter was really asking for that).

So, what can actually happen? Easy, Spider-Girl battles Morlun with everything she has, but it's not enough. Then, Peter jumps to action to protect his family, an act that cost him the life. After devouring Peter, Morlun tries to attack Mayday and Little Benjy, but a sudden attack from Spider-Girl's friends (like the ones who helped her to stop Seth), obligates him to retreat. This is as much as I can accept about affecting Mayday's world. If Peter ressurects at the end of the story with the other killed spiders, perfect. If he does not, I can accept it. Anything else happening to my girl, I swear to you that I will be worse that puting together a group of the worst berserks of Marvel: Hulk, Wolverine, Ghost Rider and Venom.
    These are all good guesses to the issue and sometimes it's best to have In-between stories that would help the reader understand things more....

One of my ideas would be a in-between .1 Spider-girl issue that would have taken place after the Invisible woman return and have the Parkers being invited to casual dinner at the Freedom Plaza, a.k.a the Fantastic Five headquarters, where Mayday would finally meet the original Fantastic Four and the reader would be treated to learning the history between Peter and the Fantastic Four in the MC-2 Universe and see how it differs from the regular Marvel Universe since everyone's there is older and wiser.

One of the things that I enjoyed about Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz's Spider-girl is while this was Mayday's story, the rest of the Parker Family had their roles to play in the series. I mean it truly showed the aspect of the Family concept that is often lost in today's comics.

Spider-girl's series may not be perfect and she has her share of tragedies, but she persevered through them all coming out shining.

If Peter does die to save his family it would be tragic, but I rather have the MC-2 Universe Peter be place in a coma than dying and recovering at the end of Spider-verse, there by preserving the MC-2 Universe from a horrible death.

Like I stated before, the one I'm really worried about is little Benjy who actually has ORGANIC WEBBING in his blood and could be a target for Morlun.
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 07-18-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

How about the Earth-X version of Mayday? Isn't she a target as well? Then again, she's know as Venom instead of Spider-Girl.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    How about the Earth-X version of Mayday? Isn't she a target as well? Then again, she's know as Venom instead of Spider-Girl.
    Depends when Spiderverse happens since currently Earth-X May is on Kang's team and we aren't sure if she'll even be able to return to her own universe if it was restored. Especially if she betrays Kang to aid the Unity Team because she's a Hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Like I stated before, the one I'm really worried about is little Benjy who actually has ORGANIC WEBBING in his blood and could be a target for Morlun.
    Perhaps Morlun decides to abduct Benjy and hold him prisoner until he is fully mature, as at his age he'd be a light snack if anything, and that is Mayday's motivation for joining the quest, I just don't see vengeance being her primary driving point in this story. Slott may give each Spider-Man a different objective in this story to keep things interesting, in Mayday's case a rescue mission.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 07-19-2014 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

And yet the only rage, nerd related or otherwise, that I've seen on this thread has only come from one source.
    Good to see that's all ya got.