World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man 5 spoilers/discussion thread

Okay, since no one has made this yet, and as far as I can tell, no one is even talking about this book yet, I thought I'll make this thread.

Discuss!
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 10-18-2017 at 06:40 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

So I've been one of the biggest critics of this book so far, but I have to say I found this issue quite enjoyable.

I think this was the only issue in this series which didn't portray Peter (and most of the other characters) as complete idiots and incompetent fools. So, not only was this the best issue in this series so far, it was actually quite good overall. I really liked the throwback to Gathering of Five with Peter holding up that building (one of my favorite iconic Spidey moments), though it made much more sense now since Peter's armor is augmenting his strength to actually be enough to hold up a building.
    After the fight scene, the story kinda slowed down, but it was still quite interesting. Hopefully Zdarsky writes more like this in the next few issues as well. There were still some flaws - I don't think Kubert is doing his best work, at least not on Spider-Man, and the writing/dialogue was at times a bit too Silver Age-y (like that whole conversation between Teresa and Mason as they fell) kinda like Slott sometimes.

Overall though, I do hope Zdarsky can use this issue as a fresh start for his Spider-Man run, since the past 4 were abysmal. Hopefully we can put that behind us, and this issue will be a better indicator of the average quality of this run once it is done.

This one was okay. The last one was better. Zdarsky's humous is still cringy. "This is... Ben." Ugh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This one was okay. The last one was better.
    I did like #4 more than #5, although I think both issues represented a noticeable turn for the better for the book.

This was a pretty decent issue. The opening challenge was intense, and did show pretty well what it would be like for Spider-Man moment by moment.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This series is much better when it isn't trying to be a goofy comedy book.

Action was good, characters were good, vulture felt menacing, and JJJ played a prominent role. Couldn't ask for more, really.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.