View Poll Results: Is Blink Being Over-Sexualized in CABLE?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this outfit choice is inappropriate for the character. She needs a re-design.

63 63.00%
  • No, I think she looks fine the way she is.

28 28.00%
  • It's not our place to say either way.

9 9.00%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Bleeding Cool's "Fanboy Rampage": CABLE Artist Wars with Blink Fans

oh my, this is very unexpected.

it seems that the artist for cable (jon malin) is warring with blink fans on twitter over blink's sexualized new looks.

there have been a many bitter exchange of words so far, and unfortunately it does not look settled ...

you can read more about this here: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...ble-153-cover/

what do you guys think? is blink's new outfit appropriate? imo this is not necessarily the blink that i remember but perhaps she has changed over the years.

including a poll to let you weigh in.

Is this AoA Blink or 616? If not, don't see much use in spending energy arguing over what another alt universe character is wearing

The artist's counterpoint about how male characters' costumes are never criticized for being sexualized is kinda odd. I'm trying to think of some examples, I guess the most obvious is Namor but his modern costumes have him pretty covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    The artist's counterpoint about how male characters' costumes are never criticized for being sexualized is kinda odd. I'm trying to think of some examples, I guess the most obvious is Namor but his modern costumes have him pretty covered up.
    It's not a very good counterpoint at all. One is much more common than the other.

The worst thing about Blink is she isn't drawn very well at all on that cover.

i think the counter argument is about how disproportioned male super heroes are. one way or the other, I don't care. Psylocke had a skimpy costume too. it's a comic. does blink look too chesty? yes. does it affect my reading of the issue? not at all

BANNED

I mean, there WAS Havok when he was Maddie's consort, but examples there are few and far between.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    Is this AoA Blink or 616? If not, don't see much use in spending energy arguing over what another alt universe character is wearing
    I'm pretty sure they are saying this is 616 Blink, and based on the modified costume I would say this is right after she got captured by the Phalanx or right before/after she "died" during the Phalanx Covenant. Those blue costumes had the boob windows and the weird leg windows on the women.

I think the problem when people say that women are oversexualized in comics and men aren't is that they think they are comparing apples to apples.

But that's not the case. Men and women are more apples and oranges. While over sexualized women wear less clothes and have big breasts, oversexualized men come in many different forms since women have a wider range of preferences. This includes too muscular, too hairy, outright handsome and only in rare cases wearing only underwear.

If you acknowledge and understand the differences in preference, its not really that hard to see that either sex is being over sexualized. They're quite equal just in different ways.

Wolverine has been shown to be damn near butt nekkid several times in his comic history and nobody bats an eye. I swear his costume must be made the cheapest out of all the X-Men since his seems to tear apart easily than the rest while in battle.

There is no denying it women are definitely more objectified then men in Comics but it does happen to men occasionally I mean Nightwing's Butt has a Twitter Account https://mobile.twitter.com/Nightwing_Butt I searched as a joke and yup it does

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Wolverine has been shown to be damn near butt nekkid several times in his comic history and nobody bats an eye. I swear his costume must be made the cheapest out of all the X-Men since his seems to tear apart easily than the rest while in battle.
    Well that could be a simple argument of circumstantial nudity vs. routine objectification, as it were.

That being said, Blink's outfit looks most reminiscent to her Necrosha outfit, albeit heavily exaggerated(?) in the chesticle region.

It's pretty sexualised and busty, but I assumed it was just part of the cheesy 90s aesthetic you expect from a team with members like Cable and Shatterstar.

Quote Originally Posted by GarDian View Post
    I think the problem when people say that women are oversexualized in comics and men aren't is that they think they are comparing apples to apples.

But that's not the case. Men and women are more apples and oranges. While over sexualized women wear less clothes and have big breasts, oversexualized men come in many different forms since women have a wider range of preferences. This includes too muscular, too hairy, outright handsome and only in rare cases wearing only underwear.

If you acknowledge and understand the differences in preference, its not really that hard to see that either sex is being over sexualized. They're quite equal just in different ways.
    This has to be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Well that could be a simple argument of circumstantial nudity vs. routine objectification, as it were.

That being said, Blink's outfit looks most reminiscent to her Necrosha outfit, albeit heavily exaggerated(?) in the chesticle region.
    I'm not arguing against what Blink fans think about her costume, I agree with them actually. I'm also agreeing with the fact objectification happens with male characters also and nobody makes a big deal of it.

Wolverine doesn't need to be naked in these panels, but he is. You can also make an argument he's being objectified in these panels which clearly show Kitty and Jubilee being "marveled" at his suggested large penis. It's especially bad since those are suppose to be his daughter figures... smh Marvel.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I'm not arguing against what Blink fans think about her costume, I agree with them actually. I'm also agreeing with the fact objectification happens with male characters also and nobody makes a big deal of it.

Wolverine doesn't need to be naked in these panels, but he is. You can also make an argument he's being objectified in these panels which clearly show Kitty and Jubilee being "marveled" at his suggested large penis. It's especially bad since those are suppose to be his daughter figures... smh Marvel.
    OMG that's hilarious and can't be unseen now.