Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASM 790 preview

16 grand? Johnny, you've got BILLIONS of dollars!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlinger1997 View Post
    From a Preview only I was really surprised how much I enjoyed those pages. ASM # 789 was the most refreshing issue in ages and this looks set to continue! And I don't honestly think it's because Parker Industries is over; the writing really feels as if we're big in the Big Time era again. Since Superior Spider-Man ended I've grown a bit tried of Slott's run but it honestly seems as if Slott is writing at his best again.
    More like a revese big time.

Mighty Member

From a Preview only I was really surprised how much I enjoyed those pages. ASM # 789 was the most refreshing issue in ages and this looks set to continue! And I don't honestly think it's because Parker Industries is over; the writing really feels as if we're big in the Big Time era again. Since Superior Spider-Man ended I've grown a bit tried of Slott's run but it honestly seems as if Slott is writing at his best again.
    Perhaps because instead of toning down the parker luck like he did in the PI saga, Slott is now shifting it back and forth between Peter and Spidey.

BANNED

From a Preview only I was really surprised how much I enjoyed those pages. ASM # 789 was the most refreshing issue in ages and this looks set to continue!
    Are you kidding? You do realize this is Gage right? Anytime he steps in, the writing quality and characterizations go WAY up

789 is largely considered a mean-spirited train-wreck and typical tired, spent Slott.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-19-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually it was the Thing with the billions. At least until the first civil war.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You do realize this is Gage right?
    Which is why the preview is so good.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Perhaps because instead of toning down the parker luck like he did in the PI saga, Slott is now shifting it back and forth between Peter and Spidey.
    I think you're correct in saying that. While I do rate Slott quite highly as a writer he does tend to make Spider-Man's life bigger than Peter Parker's at times, especially during the Parker Industries era when it should be the opposite.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    This is probably before those issues of Uncanny Avengers where Johnny finds out about his billions. That aside, I can understand it's a lot easier to deal with being hated when you've got a mask on so no one can see your face, but at some point, Peter's gonna have to face his problems. It's not fair to him to be treated the way he's been by the public and the media and even people who should know better, but it's not fair the way he's treating his closest friends (Harry and Johnny), either.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

johnny shouldn't carry on as he caused the company a loss at least according to harry of millions in property damage when he took on peter in the annual after finding out he had brought Baxter building which they didn't try to recover from him.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    It is actually better than the PI storyline.
    Yeah, but anything is better than the PI Era. Talk about a low bar. Sorry, I couldn't resist lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

789 is largely considered a mean-spirited train-wreck and typical tired, spent Slott.
    No.

The fact that you and some other fans want to perceive it that way does not make it a fact. Either that the issue itself is mean-spirited or that is "largely considered" to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No.

The fact that you and some other fans want to perceive it that way does not make it a fact. Either that the issue itself is mean-spirited or that is "largely considered" to be one.
    The reason why it feels so mean spirited is because of how much Slott S*** on the character of Peter Parker at that issue by using every single classic character that he could to drive home the message of how much Peter Parker sucks.

And someone brought up an excellet point over at Tumblr about Peter and Bobbi. Doesn't what she does sound familiar ?
    Because that was something that Mary Jane used to do. However instead of being mean spirited to drive home that Peter is a loser, she did that to support him. To shield him from more critique that the general public had at the time about Spider-Man.

And you know what let me quote directly what mrsspidermanmaryjanewatsonparker said :

When Peter is humiliated as a coward during one tiny incident involving his entirely secret identity and one lone loser super villain, his wife and long time lover Mary Jane tried to sheer him up by giving him a paper that removed the article she knew would hurt his feelings by further reinforcing that narrative.

But it’s because Peter has much BETTER chemistry with Mockingbird than he had with Mary jane that when he became an international laughing stock and derided as incompetent everywhere he turns (including by his old friends) his brand new girlfriend (who doesn’t even let Peter share her food) cut out an article that she knew would hurt his feelings and further enforced him as an incompetent loser and made sure to shove it in his face whilst basically laughing at him.
    So let's compare it shall we :

https://78.media.tumblr.com/49de4ff2...vfjzo1_540.jpg
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/99664067...vfjzo2_540.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/792bc29f...s16be1_540.jpg
    https://78.media.tumblr.com/e6a0a5d1...s16be1_540.jpg

So yeah, that issue was mean spirited. You might have a different idea of what mean spirited is however this is what I see as mean spirited towards the character of Spider-Man!

Astonishing Member

Great preview.
    Looking forward to get my copy of Amazing Spider-Man:790.
    Great art and storywise this story is looking to be quite intriguing.

Spectacular Member

Are you kidding? You do realize this is Gage right? Anytime he steps in, the writing quality and characterizations go WAY up

«Largely considered» by you?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRstarkiller360 View Post

So yeah, that issue was mean spirited. You might have a different idea of what mean spirited is however this is what I see as mean spirited towards the character of Spider-Man!

Fictional characters shouldn't be treated as some sort of «idols», otherwise everything that not depicts them in the best light will be perceived as «mean spirited», «the writer hating the character» and similar weird things. It's the faster and easier way to stop enjoying any fictional stories, if not for any other reason that every story need to have a moment where the main character is down/in crisis/seemingly defeated to work. What Bobby did in the issue is called “downplay” an issue, making fun of the issue, not of Peter, and that's something people do in real life. The example you posted about the article being cut from the paper anyway, could be seen as patronising Peter, treating him as a child that can't face a negative article about his persona. The truth is, it's just comics, no way to think so much about them.
    Last edited by SignorMiracolo; 10-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.