Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASM 790 preview

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SignorMiracolo View Post
    Fictional characters shouldn't be treated as some sort of «idols», otherwise everything that not depicts them in the best light will be perceived as «mean spirited», «the writer hating the character» and similar weird things.
    That's what happens when years of care and attention to characters casts them in a certain light. Evolution is not weird. Deconstruction for no reason other than to push the plot a certain way is. It takes you completely out of the moment.

]The truth is, it's just comics, no way to think so much about them.
    Except the best Marvel and Spider-Man comics always made you think.

Fictional characters shouldn't be treated as some sort of «idols», otherwise everything that not depicts them in the best light will be perceived as «mean spirited», «the writer hating the character» and similar weird things. It's the faster and easier way to stop enjoying any fictional stories, if not for any other reason that every story need to have a moment where the main character is down/in crisis/seemingly defeated to work.
    I actually don't see them as "idols", I see them however as fictional characters that I'm invested in and the stories that they go through.
    And when they go thorugh bad stuff, we should be able to sympathize with the character because the writer actually makes us, the reader, understand the bad circumstances that the characters are under.
    Here on the other hand is just Dan Slott saying over and over how much Peter Parker sucks as a character.
    All you have to do is read A Song of Ice and Fire. Whenever George R.R Martin killed a character off, it didn't feel like he was mean spirited toward the characters. What he did was give us a solid reason why the character died : Because the character made a mistake without them being against their characterization.
    Ie the exact opposite of what Dan Slott did to Peter through out the intere Vol 4 of ASM, because I don't know about you but I sure as S*** know that Peter Parker would never walk away from a billion dollar deal in order to play with a kid, nor do I belive that Peter would ignore Harry's calls in a time where PI is being destroyed!

What Bobby did in the issue is called “downplay” an issue, making fun of the issue, not of Peter, and that's something people do in real life. The example you posted about the article being cut from the paper anyway, could be seen as patronising Peter, treating him as a child that can't face a negative article about his persona.
    So we are tossing out the intere history between the characters of MJ and Peter, where she wants to help her husband through a tought situation and she explains this to him and not patronising him.
    Where with Bobbi, all we have is her putting up a picture of Peter where it paints him in a bad light and saying "HA, HA, HA".
    Downplaying is one thing where we can support to someone in bad time however this is not it. It's more like putting salt on the wound.

The truth is, it's just comics, no way to think so much about them.
    It is comics, however in them we can have meanifull stories with characters that can make us cheer, that can make us laugh and give us something to hope for.
    It is comic however it can always be something more!