Mighty Member

Default Was Spawn inspired by Lovecraft?

I mean Mcfarlane whom is a horror fan probably loves Lovecraft's works for his comics of Spawn even the idea of a magic shroud to heaven/hell being dimensions.

Maybe not directly, but Lovecraft was so influential to the horror and supernatural genres as a whole, I wouldnt be surprised if many aspects of Spawn can be traced back to his work.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Last time I checked Spawn was rooted in Roman Catholic myth but its been a few. Spawn always felt similar to Darkman and Venom to me.

I don't really think so. In Lovecraftian horror, the old gods and their creatures exist beyond human comprehension. They are so other worldly and alien that they just don't make sense to the human brain. They don't care about humans. We're simply bugs to be exterminated without feeling. I'd say Spawn is more Faustian in nature. Spawn is a deal with the devil for power, involving Heaven and Hell. Just like Faust. Both Heaven and Hell clearly have interest in humans and their souls. So it doesn't feel very Lovecraft to me.

I doubt it. McFarlane has long said that the original concept of SPAWN he was more of a sci-fi character, with story set in the future. Admitting that he was inspired by Star Wars in that creation. The religious angle came much later. He seems to have pulled from a lot of different sources regarding the devil and Hell and all that to use for the character.