View Poll Results: Who SHOULD be the Queen of Marvel?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Widow

5 1.74%
  • Captain Marvel - Carol

42 14.58%
  • Elektra

3 1.04%
  • Invisible Woman

40 13.89%
  • Jean Grey

40 13.89%
  • Jessica Jones

5 1.74%
  • (Lady) Thor - Jane

2 0.69%
  • Ms. Marvel - Kamala

10 3.47%
  • Scarlet Witch

13 4.51%
  • She-Hulk

19 6.60%
  • Spider-Woman

4 1.39%
  • Squirrel Girl

8 2.78%
  • Storm

71 24.65%
  • Wasp

7 2.43%
  • Other - please explain

19 6.60%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

I vote for Emma Frost, and if not Emma, then my 2nd pick is Jessica Jones. The fact that they are both in Jessica's book together has been one of my favourite reads in a long time.

What people don't like to admit it is self fulling prophecy. If It feels inorganic or artificial all pushes are inorganic on some level.It is beginning with a popular character like Spiderman or Captain Marvel. They get a book/Spotlight because they are popular. Very few characters except ones from new companies get pushed without some level popularity.

Spiderman is created,He becomes popular because he has amazing creative team and they great stories, The character keeps getting more and more popular, The great creative team goes away the character becomes less popular but remains very popular. When great creative team comes on the book popularity begins to skyrocket again.

Captain marvel is changed from Ms Marvel, She is popular gets a good creative team, That creative teams leaves and character popularity stagnates doesn't get Iconic stories and villains, She remain a popular character but doesn't explode because she isn't getting great creators. But Marvel keep pushing because the concept is sound. She gets a break as she is selection for Marvel to make a movie with her. Which makes her priority like Spiderman or Captain America.

Priority characters consistently get top creative teams,Top creative teams create good stories, Fans love good stories so character become very popular during that period and make the company money once character is proven money maker company will be willing to use them. The consistent thing about Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, etc is that they get the best creative teams. And of course this only happen because they are popular but they became popular because of good stories and What is the best way to get good stories Top Creative teams.

Push being "inorganic" doesn't matter if they keep on giving her good creative teams because good creative team makes good stories. If you keep giving a character "importance in the world" and "good stories" over years they will become popular then Iconic. You can disagree with me but it is really a chicken and egg thing. Is Spiderman popular because he is amazing creation that people gravitate to or Is Spiderman popular because he has years of push with the best creators and given importance in prime stories and gets prime outside projects that build more of fanbase. The easy answer it is combination of the two but answer some fans don't like to hear you can take moderately popular concept and give it great support and it will become just as Iconic in time as popular concept with moderate support.

Difficult call between Jean, Storm, Rogue, Scarlet Witch and Invisible Woman for me.

Voted Scarlet Witch as I think her powers are very 'on point' to a lot of beliefs and philosophies that are not fads or trends, they are up in the gestalt of thoughts and will be forever. She encourages people to 'think' more about their thoughts, contributions and discipline.

Rogue, Storm and Jean do the same though, so ultimately there should be no 'Queen' dammit you triggered me, what am I even doing typing and voting in this!
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 03-07-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Too true. It's exactly why, instead of SOLELY pushing Carol, also push the women that have the massive exposure that comes with the "team setting." What would it hurt? Storm, Jean, Sue, and Rogue deserve as many chances to succeed as Carol. What could it hurt? Seriously?
    Storm, Jean, Sue, and Rogue work best with the teams their associated with. Marvel's flagship team in the Avengers. They also needed someone 'neutral', and I supposed Marvel felt that Danvers fit those requirements. The people you mentioned are a part of teams that also have important team dynamics and/or have gotten overshadowed by their male teammates (Wolverine, Black Panther, the FF "family"). I agree with the previous post. Ms Marvel is independent of any ties because they made the nuhumans more indepedent, and had little baggage when it came to a backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Storm, Jean, Sue, and Rogue work best with the teams their associated with. Marvel's flagship team in the Avengers. They also needed someone 'neutral', and I supposed Marvel felt that Danvers fit those requirements. The people you mentioned are a part of teams that also have important team dynamics and/or have gotten overshadowed by their male teammates (Wolverine, Black Panther, the FF "family"). I agree with the previous post. Ms Marvel is independent of any ties because they made the nuhumans more indepedent, and had little baggage when it came to a backstory.
    We always get the "works best in a team" thing, but how can anyone know that if they haven't been given the proper shot to operate outside of their team? It's also a phrase that is used more for the female characters than the males. I've never seen it used against The Thing, Human Torch, or Gambit with their multiple shots at solo books.

So that belief is baseless as it can only be confirmed if the characters in question actually got a proper push and failed. Seeing as they haven't, no one can say for sure.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    We always get the "works best in a team" thing, but how can anyone know that if they haven't been given the proper shot to operate outside of their team? It's also a phrase that is used more for the female characters than the males. I've never seen it used against The Thing, Human Torch, or Gambit with their multiple shots at solo books.

So that belief is baseless as it can only be confirmed if the characters in question actually got a proper push and failed. Seeing as they haven't, no one can say for sure.
    Storm, Jean, and Rogue did get their own solos at one point. It would be interesting to see a Sue solo without her family. She did kinda go solo in Rage of Ultron. Hope Summers seems more like a solo character to me, and and Ben and Johnny were single. Sue and Reed could have a book like Mr. and Mrs. X if anything.

Storm, Jean, and Rogue did get their own solos at one point. It would be interesting to see a Sue solo without her family. She did kinda go solo in Rage of Ultron. Hope Summers seems more like a solo character to me, and and Ben and Johnny were single. Sue and Reed could have a book like Mr. and Mrs. X if anything.
    The 90s were the biggest era for the X-Men and that was the best time to have a solo book for many of the female characters, especially Storm. Yet her very first solo book was 20 years later, with little to no fanfare. Rogue didn't get hers until the early 2000's, and Jean's is weird as it was teen Jean's book. These three may have eventually gotten solo books, but they weren't pushed. A solo book is only a part of a push, there needs to be promotion, guest appearances, and other things to attempt to elevate a character for it to be a push.

Ben and Johnny being single means nothing. They are just as much team characters as Sue is, yet they got multiple shots at being solo stars too. Sue being married is not a valid barrier to her being getting her chance. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are married to each other and that doesn't stop them having their own books. Being married does not mean being joined at the hip, there is no reason for a Mr and Mrs X style book for Reed and Sue. That's what the main FF book is for and the characters are viable as solo stars imo.

The 90s were the biggest era for the X-Men and that was the best time to have a solo book for many of the female characters, especially Storm. Yet her very first solo book was 20 years later, with little to no fanfare. Rogue didn't get hers until the early 2000's, and Jean's is weird as it was teen Jean's book. These three may have eventually gotten solo books, but they weren't pushed. A solo book is only a part of a push, there needs to be promotion, guest appearances, and other things to attempt to elevate a character for it to be a push.

Ben and Johnny being single means nothing. They are just as much team characters as Sue is, yet they got multiple shots at being solo stars too. Sue being married is not a valid barrier to her being getting her chance. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are married to each other and that doesn't stop them having their own books. Being married does not mean being joined at the hip, there is no reason for a Mr and Mrs X style book for Reed and Sue. That's what the main FF book is for and the characters are viable as solo stars imo.
    It feels as if Sue and Reed have always been together, and Marvel has them as "Marvel's first family." They work as a team and I don't see that as a negative thing and I think it's great that they're a power couple. There aren't that many "couple" dynamics in comics as perhaps there should be.

If Sue were to have a solo mini, Reed would probably appear. Marvel has tried many things, I don't see why they can't try to do a Sue solo. They've been throwing a lot out there and go with whatever sticks. I'm not against it. She should've been on the A-Force, but that didn't happen. I'd like to see Valeria in a solo or on a Champions type book. They're back now, so I hope Marvel pushes them as much as they're pushing the X-Men.

BANNED

Movies like the incredibles 2 make a good case for characters like Sue Storm who're stereotyped as the dutiful wife and loving mother being able to branch out.

I volunteer as tribute.

The 90s were the biggest era for the X-Men and that was the best time to have a solo book for many of the female characters, especially Storm. Yet her very first solo book was 20 years later, with little to no fanfare. Rogue didn't get hers until the early 2000's, and Jean's is weird as it was teen Jean's book. These three may have eventually gotten solo books, but they weren't pushed. A solo book is only a part of a push, there needs to be promotion, guest appearances, and other things to attempt to elevate a character for it to be a push..
    A solo book is not the end all and Storm, Jean Grey and Rogue was most definitely pushed. They got meaningful time in biggest book and across several X-books and Events,Video games,Toys, Halloween costumes and cartoons.And they have consistently been in movies. Solo books are good but X-men Red was a Jean Grey spotlight, Uncanny Avenger was Rogue spotlight, X-men Gold was a Kitty Pryde Spotlight. A solo books would have been nice with support that giving Captain Marvel right now but She Hulk, Spider woman,Mockingbird and Black Widow have all had solos what has it real done for them? Do any them have a higher profile than X-men females? No not really. I think people are overall looking meaningful roles and high profile roles. X-men get to show up in big story events AvX, Inhumans versus X-men, DC vs Marvel and Big X-men events like House of M, Age of Apocalypse, Age of X-man,etc. If you don't get a solo book then the next best things is being the leader and one of the primary focus in the book.

X-women walk on the same level as males,Yeah DC females will get solo books but all females except Wonder woman will differ to males in things. Your real value shows up in line wide crossovers. Supergirl, Batgirl,Harley Quinn,etc have books but men will tell them everything what do(if they show up) and Men will have all the important roles. X-women actually get to lead stuff and make decisions. Solos is one half but the other half is importance and substance.

It feels as if Sue and Reed have always been together, and Marvel has them as "Marvel's first family." They work as a team and I don't see that as a negative thing and I think it's great that they're a power couple. There aren't that many "couple" dynamics in comics as perhaps there should be.

If Sue were to have a solo mini, Reed would probably appear. Marvel has tried many things, I don't see why they can't try to do a Sue solo. They've been throwing a lot out there and go with whatever sticks. I'm not against it. She should've been on the A-Force, but that didn't happen. I'd like to see Valeria in a solo or on a Champions type book. They're back now, so I hope Marvel pushes them as much as they're pushing the X-Men.
    You don't have to sacrifice them being a couple for Sue to have a solo book, and Reed doesn't need to be prominent in her book. Luke and Jessica make it work. Plus Reed goes off and does whatever he wants with no issue, he was apart of the Illuminati blowing up planets and being trapped in different dimensions. There should be no problem at all for Sue, especially when there are characters appearing in multiple books at the same time with no problem. Black Panther is currently somehow in a book trapped in space and also in the Avengers book here on earth. There is no reason for Sue to be attached at the hip to Reed and unable to operate without him or the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    A solo book is not the end all and Storm, Jean Grey and Rogue was most definitely pushed. They got meaningful time in biggest book and across several X-books and Events,Video games,Toys, Halloween costumes and cartoons.And they have consistently been in movies. Solo books are good but X-men Red was a Jean Grey spotlight, Uncanny Avenger was Rogue spotlight, X-men Gold was a Kitty Pryde Spotlight. A solo books would have been nice with support that giving Captain Marvel right now but She Hulk, Spider woman,Mockingbird and Black Widow have all had solos what has it real done for them? Do any them have a higher profile than X-men females? No not really. I think people are overall looking meaningful roles and high profile roles. X-men get to show up in big story events AvX, Inhumans versus X-men, DC vs Marvel and Big X-men events like House of M, Age of Apocalypse, Age of X-man,etc. If you don't get a solo book then the next best things is being the leader and one of the primary focus in the book.

X-women walk on the same level as males,Yeah DC females will get solo books but all females except Wonder woman will differ to males in things. Your real value shows up in line wide crossovers. Supergirl, Batgirl,Harley Quinn,etc have books but men will tell them everything what do(if they show up) and Men will have all the important roles. X-women actually get to lead stuff and make decisions. Solos is one half but the other half is importance and substance.
    But those pushes aren't consistent, they have been sporadic and short since the 90s ended. When was the last time Storm was really pushed? Jean Grey is currently getting a bit of a push, but for how long? The X-Men merchandise situation has been bad (mainly because of the films) and the last X-Men cartoon was 10 years ago. The past X-Men events show the strength of the brand as a whole not just the female characters. They're not an individual push of their female characters, but one of the entire X-line.

It's great that the women on the X-Men are treated equally to the men, but we're talking about being pushed as solo characters. Where are the female equivalents of Wolverine, Deadpool, or Cable? I agree a solo is not all there is to being pushed, but I've yet to see a consistent push with any of the X-Women. Maybe things will change with the Fox purchase and maybe the current Jean push will last. We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-07-2019 at 06:28 AM.

You don't have to sacrifice them being a couple for Sue to have a solo book, and Reed doesn't need to be prominent in her book. Luke and Jessica make it work. Plus Reed goes off and does whatever he wants with no issue, he was apart of the Illuminati blowing up planets and being trapped in different dimensions. There should be no problem at all for Sue, especially when there are characters appearing in multiple books at the same time with no problem. Black Panther is currently somehow in a book trapped in space and also in the Avengers book here on earth. There is no reason for Sue to be attached at the hip to Reed and unable to operate without him or the kids.

But those pushes aren't consistent, they have been sporadic and short since the 90s ended. When was the last time Storm was really pushed? Jean Grey is currently getting a bit of a push, but for how long? The X-Men merchandise situation has been bad (mainly because of the films) and the last X-Men cartoon was 10 years ago. The past X-Men events show the strength of the brand as a whole not just the female characters. They're not an individual push of their female characters, but one of the entire X-line.

It's great that the women on the X-Men are treated equally to the men, but we're talking about being pushed as solo characters. Where are the female equivalents of Wolverine, Deadpool, or Cable? I agree a solo is not all there is to being pushed, but I've yet to see a consistent push with any of the X-Women. Maybe things will change with the Fox purchase and maybe the current Jean push will last. We'll have to wait and see.
    Storm was the Headmaster of the Xavier school and leader of all the X-men before kitty, So couple years back, She was one in charge during IvX. Obvious the Fox stuff mess up the X-men push over the years but I think being spotlighted in a great brand is equivalent of a solo books

Where are the female equivalents of Wolverine, Deadpool, or Cable? They are none not because they are being pushed but because those characters are anomalies, It is like asking where is the male version of Wonder Woman.There is nothing like those characters not including Cable those are just elite characters they are part of a group of 7 to 9ish characters in superhero comics that just sell Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Deadpool, Wolverine, and Harley Quinn. Now here is the point I want to make look at X-23 and Wonder Woman the flagship character for DC over a similar stretch, The numbers are pretty similar and Batgirl and Harley Quinn in about the same range of sales. X-23 is a book that isn't being "pushed" doesn't have big-name artist and writer and numbers aren't degrading crazy.

Wonder Woman 50 $3.99 07/11/18 DC 38,375
    Wonder Woman 51 $3.99 07/25/18 DC 50,901
    Wonder Woman 52 $3.99 08/08/18 DC 36,259
    Wonder Woman 53 $3.99 08/22/18 DC 34,990
    Wonder Woman 54 $3.99 09/12/18 DC 34,966
    Wonder Woman 55 $3.99 09/26/18 DC 33,851

X-23 1 $4.99 07/11/18 Marvel 93,880
    X-23 2 $3.99 07/25/18 Marvel 36,340
    X-23 3 $3.99 08/29/18 Marvel 33,490
    X-23 4 $3.99 09/12/18 Marvel 33,575
    X-23 5 $3.99 10/10/18 Marvel 35,518

Overtime X-23(Ms. Marvel, Spidergwen) don't hold numbers as well Batgirl, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman but those characters also have had way more years to develop a consistent fanbase. Things aren't as bad people are making it sound for Marvel, It is more of a creative team issue than these books are way out the range of what best females lead book in comics do imo. It is a process to build a fanbase consistent enough to hold a solo.Better creative teams will help but just time is needed. X-23 is your "Cable".

Spider-Gwen Ghost-Spider 1 $3.99 10/24/18 Marvel 88,923
    Spider-Gwen Ghost Spider 2 $3.99 11/28/18 Marvel 32,715
    Spider-Gwen Ghost Spider 3 $3.99 12/12/18 Marvel 29,016
    Spider-Gwen Ghost Spider 4 $3.99 01/09/19 Marvel 27,721

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I honestly don't think Marvel has a single female character that comes close to Wonder Woman, and she certainly has met all of this criteria, maybe not consistently, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    eh, i think She-Hulk fits the bill. people knock her because her powers are gamma radiated. but she has something Bruce, classically, didn't; control over herself. she had accomplishments outside of being a superhero. she had a supporting cast. and she's had several titles.

niche
    Aside from fitting the bill it is also very pleasant to me that the character will be headlining her own Disney+ series

BANNED

Wonder Woman & She-Hulk

A piece focused on their brains and brawn by Mike Perkins