View Poll Results: Who SHOULD be the Queen of Marvel?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Widow

5 1.74%
  • Captain Marvel - Carol

42 14.58%
  • Elektra

3 1.04%
  • Invisible Woman

40 13.89%
  • Jean Grey

40 13.89%
  • Jessica Jones

5 1.74%
  • (Lady) Thor - Jane

2 0.69%
  • Ms. Marvel - Kamala

10 3.47%
  • Scarlet Witch

13 4.51%
  • She-Hulk

19 6.60%
  • Spider-Woman

4 1.39%
  • Squirrel Girl

8 2.78%
  • Storm

71 24.65%
  • Wasp

7 2.43%
  • Other - please explain

19 6.60%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast
    BANNED

The only character big enough is Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think Marvel(and DC) should be pushing to market any good female characters because audiences would probably enjoy that much more and it would mean less pressure on that "alpha female" character to perform
    I think both companies are doing this already.

Traditionally DC has had better luck with solo female titles and has usually had at least a few in the air at any given time, plus team books like the Birds of Prey. Marvel, historically, has lagged behind and struggled with this but even at their worst they had numerous, popular females in the X-Men, at least a couple Avengers, and a solo title or two.

If you look at that Marvel Rising thing, you've got several female characters getting attention who haven't seen the spotlight before.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

They clearly want Carol. I have no problem with. She does have the "look." But I hear no one really cares for her.

Storm could potentially IF they make her leave the freaking X-Men. She proved herself to that team/series many time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    not after Carol's movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think both companies are doing this already.

Traditionally DC has had better luck with solo female titles and has usually had at least a few in the air at any given time, plus team books like the Birds of Prey. Marvel, historically, has lagged behind and struggled with this but even at their worst they had numerous, popular females in the X-Men, at least a couple Avengers, and a solo title or two.

If you look at that Marvel Rising thing, you've got several female characters getting attention who haven't seen the spotlight before.
    True but few are on footing with Thor and Cap and etc where there name rings bells or has a similar presence. I think like some have said they are trying to make Carol that person but its not sticking and she honestly is such a boring character that its disappointing that if there has to be only one that its her.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-11-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Please..... her own franchise doesn't do much with her.

She could be but like Cyborg at DC-a LOT of folks would have to do work in and out of comics.

Fantastic Member

I personally feel that Marvel shouldn't have a "queen". DC has always had a relatively defined heirachy. Marvel, on the other hand, while there are heroes who are more or less powerful, and there are A-Listers, B-Listers and C-Listers, has always felt more egalitarian and less united. There's no real need for one character to rule them all.

it's got me thinking. Wonder Woman is clearly DC' s queen/their most iconic female character. so who is #2? and how big of a drop is it? Marvel seems to have a top tier of female characters. but, as evidenced by this thread, it's sort of a photo finish. Storm would certainly be the most iconic x-female; with Jean Grey, arguably, being a close second. Invisible Woman has no competitors in her corner of the universe. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    True but few are on footing with Thor and Cap and etc where there name rings bells or has a similar presence. I think like some have said they are trying to make Carol that person but its not sticking and she honestly is such a boring character that its disappointing that if there has to be only one that its her.
    Its true that comics don't have many women or PoC who are the equal of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man in terms of social profile (honestly, only Wonder Woman can claim such pedigree). It's the unfortunate legacy of social bias from when these characters were created and became popular, and is a difficult thing to overcome.

I disagree about Carol being a boring character, personally. She's amazingly versatile and a great mix of "soldier" and "maverick" archetypes with the same kind of appeal that has made the various Green Lanterns popular. But to each their own of course, and I can't argue that her solo book often hasn't been what it could, or should, be.

And since Marvel has decided to try to elevate Carol to A-list status "artificially" there were always going to be fans who resent her for getting that push over their personal preference. In that, I dont think its about Carol at all, and all about their pet favorite not getting the attention. Im not saying you're guilty of this or anything, but I think there are people out there with such a mindset. They'll never accept Carol as a big name just because it wasnt Janet or Storm or Jean or whoever it is they like more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's got me thinking. Wonder Woman is clearly DC' s queen/their most iconic female character. so who is #2?
    Depending on the year in question either Harley Quinn (champion for the last several years) Catwoman, or Lois Lane.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's got me thinking. Wonder Woman is clearly DC' s queen/their most iconic female character. so who is #2? and how big of a drop is it? Marvel seems to have a top tier of female characters. but, as evidenced by this thread, it's sort of a photo finish. Storm would certainly be the most iconic x-female; with Jean Grey, arguably, being a close second. Invisible Woman has no competitors in her corner of the universe. etc.
    Supergirl (own title, had a movie, TV series), Catwoman (was on a few Movies and TV shows, own title), Batgirl (was on a movie, a few TV shows, and has her own title, plus features quite actively on others), Black Canary (Features prominently on many titles, seen quite often on TV shows, etc...). And that's just the good gals. Ivy and Harley are also quite famous. There are others that I'd say are more known than many of Marvel Top tiers.

Peace

No one. The fanbase for Marvel is, generally, split between X-Men fans and fans of other books like the Avengers. DC doesn't really have that kind of split.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    No one. The fanbase for Marvel is, generally, split between X-Men fans and fans of other books like the Avengers. DC doesn't really have that kind of split.
    This is a very good point. And I agree.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Captain Marvel. If not now, she will.

Storm, Jean Grey, and Ms. Marvel all have/had great shots at the title though. Storm was huge in the 90s and had she been pushed outside of just the X-Men, she'd still have this title.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its true that comics don't have many women or PoC who are the equal of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man in terms of social profile (honestly, only Wonder Woman can claim such pedigree). It's the unfortunate legacy of social bias from when these characters were created and became popular, and is a difficult thing to overcome.

I disagree about Carol being a boring character, personally. She's amazingly versatile and a great mix of "soldier" and "maverick" archetypes with the same kind of appeal that has made the various Green Lanterns popular. But to each their own of course, and I can't argue that her solo book often hasn't been what it could, or should, be.

And since Marvel has decided to try to elevate Carol to A-list status "artificially" there were always going to be fans who resent her for getting that push over their personal preference. In that, I dont think its about Carol at all, and all about their pet favorite not getting the attention. Im not saying you're guilty of this or anything, but I think there are people out there with such a mindset. They'll never accept Carol as a big name just because it wasnt Janet or Storm or Jean or whoever it is they like more.
    Yeah even Wonder Woman has suffered because of those years of bias and she is just starting to get some ground though its still very shaky.

I think my dislike of Carol has most to do with my limited exposure to her character. I've only read a few issues and I did not like the writing. I was drawn to the idea of her because of the archetypes that you mentioned being written for a female character, but I also haven't been much of a fan of the Green Lanterns so I guess it could also be that she just isn't to my tastes.

I can't deny her status with all thats going on for her nowadays, but knowing so many other female characters that I enjoy more got so close to where she is and could have been successful if they got the push she got, I can't help but resent her even if just a little.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-12-2017 at 06:14 PM.