Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default It's been a year since Marvel has deemed Moon Girl the "smartest person"

the smartest person in the Marvel Universe

has that title been justified yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLR4EnRNaDw (here is the top 10 canon smartest heroes, so marvel with this video double downed on this claim having her first)

or do you think the title should revert back to Reed eventually

Reed doesn't need it, so as long as it's something the Moon Girl book wanna runs with, I guess it's fine.

I'm not sure I ever understood what the problem was with her having that in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don't care. I think having a title of smartest person is kind of the opposite of smart, there's no exact way to measure it.

Not sure what's the point of this label when, no matter what may happen in the Marvel universe, even the smartest characters can be subject to the dumbest writing decisions.

I would argue that the problem with having a little girl as the smartest person in the MU is two-fold: The first is that there was an established hierarchy that had a majority of characters who earned their intelligence, they didn't get smart as a power, but that is literally Moon Girl's "gift", she's smart for nothing. I personally don't like such characters, who have not earned a status or position, i.e. Hulk, Sentry, etc. for strength. The second is that the more and more people that are added to that list, the harder it becomes to accept that disease, famine, etc. still exist; if even a little girl can be on that list, there's no reason that the MU should still be suffering from those things. Marvel needs to think about the ramifications of their storytelling decisions or we end up with Ms. Marvel's three-day pregnancy.
    Last edited by Hizashi; 10-19-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: My original wording suggested that her power was super-intelligence, but I am aware that her power is mind projection.

Oh goody, another chance for people to demonstrate that they don't understand what was actually meant by her being the Smartest There Is. What fun.

I think Lunella should remain the smartest, even when Reed comes back. In fact, I'd even have some sort of glimpse of the future that serves to prove Lunella is smarter than Reed. Reed and an adult Lunella are working on a problem together, and she's consistently just a bit quicker when making suggestions or completing tasks. Nothing too major, show them as being very nearly equal, but a close reading shows she has just that little bit of an edge over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Oh goody, another chance for people to demonstrate that they don't understand what was actually meant by her being the Smartest There Is. What fun.

I think Lunella should remain the smartest, even when Reed comes back. In fact, I'd even have some sort of glimpse of the future that serves to prove Lunella is smarter than Reed. Reed and an adult Lunella are working on a problem together, and she's consistently just a bit quicker when making suggestions or completing tasks. Nothing too major, show them as being very nearly equal, but a close reading shows she has just that little bit of an edge over him.
    Could you let me know what was actually meant? Honest question.

It's an arbitrary title anyway, it's fine that she has it if it inspires little girls. It has no negative effect to Reed.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Like I said a year ago it means nothing and will rarely be brought up outside her book.
    We need better comics

Mighty Member

Who care ? I think it's stupid that a kid is the smartest Marvel character, but people vote with their wallet and she is not in a lot of titles.Contrary to, for example, ms Marvel she is not a popular character. In 2 or 3 years, if the fanbase doesn't change their view, she will disappear or be a c/d-list character like the thinker, Lila Rhodes, Forge, Karl malus, June Kovington etc.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Could you let me know what was actually meant? Honest question.
    It was essentially a measure of her raw brain power. Creative thinking, pattern recognition, stuff like that. It's not about depth of knowledge or accomplishments, it's all about her being good at thinking, basically. (Though, of course, intelligence is separate from wisdom. Brilliant people are capable of making stupid decisions, and Lunella's as capable of that as anyone.)

Basically, give Reed and Lunella the same resources, and Lunella will get better results. As it is, Lunella has none of the resources Reed has always had access to. So instead, she makes a flame-spitting triceratops mech out of Lego.

I just really loved that triceratops mech.

Also, hasn't Reed himself said that Valeria is smarter than him so him not being the smartest isn't new?

Shouldn't it go?:

1. Lunella
    2. Valeria
    3. Reed
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Also, hasn't Reed himself said that Valeria is smarter than him so him not being the smartest isn't new?

Shouldn't it go?:

1. Lunella
    2. Valeria
    3. Reed
    I mean, I'd say Lunella, Valeria, Stilt-Man. But I guess Reed works, too.

Pretty much if them constantly adding more geniuses who were the x smartest in the world didn’t cheapen the title enough, this basically killed it. The title basically has no meaning anymore since they could literally just insert a new character into the MU and just say they’re the smartest based off of little to nothing. If anything, all they did was use it to build publicity to Moon Girl and nothing more as if the fact that she’s a prodigy wasn’t good enough. Honestly, I don’t know what’s wrong with a character being a genius these days rather than the x smartest person in the world.