Amazing Member

Default Help with Marvel's Star Wars collections

Hey! I’m interested in diving into Marvel’s SW comics. I was wondering what are the best ones - as there seems to be a few - and what would be the best way to read them - TPB or HC? I was thinking maybe the VADER Omnibus to get that whole book, the first two STAR WARS HCs and maybe a handful of the TPBs (Han Solo, Obi and Analin, Shattered Empire, maybe Screaming Citadel when that comes out). Any thoughts or help on this? Should I just stick to trades entirely or mix the formats? I'm trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to dive into these books. I'm not looking to read all the books, namely just the core titles and maybe a few of the mini-series. But I'm also open to recommendations!

I'm in a similar boat as I'm only just venturing into Marvel's Star Wars stuff. I opted to go for the hardcovers for the main title and Darth Vader, and then TPBs for the rest. I decided against the Vader omnibus as it's the same content as the 2 hardcovers for more money. I've only got the hardcovers for Vader volume 1 and Star Wars volume 1, and the Princess Leia TPB so far, but I'm aiming to get them all. I've not actually read any of them yet so I can't comment on quality sorry!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I'm in a similar boat as I'm only just venturing into Marvel's Star Wars stuff. I opted to go for the hardcovers for the main title and Darth Vader, and then TPBs for the rest. I decided against the Vader omnibus as it's the same content as the 2 hardcovers for more money. I've only got the hardcovers for Vader volume 1 and Star Wars volume 1, and the Princess Leia TPB so far, but I'm aiming to get them all. I've not actually read any of them yet so I can't comment on quality sorry!
    No worries - it all helps! I think I might go OHC for the two core titles - STAR WARS and DARTH VADER - and do TPBs for the mini-series and such. Seems like a good way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    No worries - it all helps! I think I might go OHC for the two core titles - STAR WARS and DARTH VADER - and do TPBs for the mini-series and such. Seems like a good way to do it.
    They released "heroes for a new hope" which was an OHC collecting three of the mini series (Leia, lando and Chewbacca).
    They're now releasing a Han Solo OHC that has his mini and also some issues from the main SW series that is somewhat Han-centric.

The SW series is setup after A New Hope but before Empire.
    Gillen's Darth Vader series was set in the same time period.

Doctor Aphra spun out of Gillen's Vader series - She was in that book as well. it's really fun.

Then there's Poe Dameron, which is set before Force Awakens. unsure if it'll eventually 'catch up' and then keep going between AFW and Last Jedi. it's pretty good, too.

For some of these, you might want to check your local library, grab a TPB or two and see if they're to your liking. That's how I read the bulk of these to see if they were good and/or if I'd ever re-read them again.

Hope this helps you.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by James Harvey View Post
    Hey! I’m interested in diving into Marvel’s SW comics. I was wondering what are the best ones - as there seems to be a few - and what would be the best way to read them - TPB or HC? I was thinking maybe the VADER Omnibus to get that whole book, the first two STAR WARS HCs and maybe a handful of the TPBs (Han Solo, Obi and Analin, Shattered Empire, maybe Screaming Citadel when that comes out). Any thoughts or help on this? Should I just stick to trades entirely or mix the formats? I'm trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to dive into these books. I'm not looking to read all the books, namely just the core titles and maybe a few of the mini-series. But I'm also open to recommendations!
    I don't know how you feel about digital, but Marvel Unlimited has all of their Star Wars material uploaded to it. Except for material that is less than 6 months old. You can even try the app out for free.

Personally I could never get into the 70's and 80's Marvel Star Wars or any of the Dark Horse books.
    But tried and loved the Marvel/ Disney books launched a few years back.
    So far I just got the Darth Vader Omnibus.
    I am holding off on Star Wars because I expect there will be at least 2 omnibus down the line.
    For the most part all the new Star Wars comics are good and probably actually helped Marvel keep
    a strangle hold on the top sales numbers for the past few years.