Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How to Fix the Inhumans?

I've been working on a fanfic Marvel Comics alternate universe for a long time now. Recently, I've learned how extremely problematic the Inhumans' history has been, with many people have been calling them out on their isolationist and xenophobic behavior, their belief in their notorious caste system, their slavery over the Alpha Primitives, and their Genetic Council's decisions regarding Attilan's citizens.

I need help on how to make my version of the Inhumans as very unproblematic or not problematic at all.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

All of these issues were resolved years ago, genetic council disbanded, alphas were freed of servitude and aren't isolationists anymore since Black Bolt's T-Bomb. All pretty common knowledge, if you read the books.

Next.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    I've been working on a fanfic Marvel Comics alternate universe for a long time now. Recently, I've learned how extremely problematic the Inhumans' history has been, with many people have been calling them out on their isolationist and xenophobic behavior, their belief in their notorious caste system, their slavery over the Alpha Primitives, and their Genetic Council's decisions regarding Attilan's citizens.

I need help on how to make my version of the Inhumans as very unproblematic or not problematic at all.
    Fix in what way? In a way that makes them not isolationist, xenophobic, caste and slavery driven eugenic society?

Some say that's what made them truly... well... inhuman.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    All of these issues were resolved years ago, genetic council disbanded, alphas were freed of servitude and aren't isolationists anymore since Black Bolt's T-Bomb. All pretty common knowledge, if you read the books.

Next.
    Wow. Didn't know that. Can you direct me to the comic issues where these problems were resolved?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Fix in what way? In a way that makes them not isolationist, xenophobic, caste and slavery driven eugenic society?

Some say that's what made them truly... well... inhuman.
    True, but they can be better people if they wanted to be.

Wow. Didn't know that. Can you direct me to the comic issues where these problems were resolved?
    The council were discharged of having power over attilan between atlantis rising and the jae lee run i think The characters are still there but they don't have any real power anymore.

Alphas we're all left to form their own society, with a handful choosing to continue serving the royals last seen in realm of kings.

New Attilan is in NYC so no longer isolationist ever since Inhuman/Inhumanity.

True, but they can be better people if they wanted to be.
    Personally? Barring the whole slavery angle, part of what I enjoyed about their society is how they weren't a society how we value one. Their values, goals, and even conduct were very different from our own and warranted distrust from both sides, making them wary partners on a planet they had to share with the greater heroic world. Sort of like Wakanda. Turning them into something, "more acceptable to us," drained some of that special nature for me.

The council were discharged of having power over attilan between atlantis rising and the jae lee run i think The characters are still there but they don't have any real power anymore.

Alphas we're all left to form their own society, with a handful choosing to continue serving the royals last seen in realm of kings.

New Attilan is in NYC so no longer isolationist ever since Inhuman/Inhumanity.
    Jae Lee sounds about right I think.

The Royal family just up and skipped town. I think Karnak is the only one left on Earth right now and maybe Triton, though he's probably still in a prison. Black Bolt just got out of Inhuman prison and Gorgon and Medusa are hooking up right now. One of the Nuhumans are tentatively in charge of New Attilan and if I'm remembering right and is trying to get some elected council going on. Basically they've sort of become, "Mutants if mutants had their own society and the world wasn't conspiring to make them not have one and were primarily American."

Jae Lee sounds about right I think.

The Royal family just up and skipped town. I think Karnak is the only one left on Earth right now and maybe Triton, though he's probably still in a prison. Black Bolt just got out of Inhuman prison and Gorgon and Medusa are hooking up right now. One of the Nuhumans are tentatively in charge of New Attilan and if I'm remembering right and is trying to get some elected council going on. Basically they've sort of become, "Mutants if mutants had their own society and the world wasn't conspiring to make them not have one and were primarily American."
    one thing missing from the Inhumans franchise atm is proper differentiation between western values and Attilan values. There's very little discussion or mention of what the Attilan culture is or how it meshes with the Nuhumans.

one thing missing from the Inhumans franchise atm is proper differentiation between western values and Attilan values. There's very little discussion or mention of what the Attilan culture is or how it meshes with the Nuhumans.
    You have no clue how much I agree with this.

It feels like Attilan and Inhumans in modern times are just sort of some weird non-developed people who sort of congregated together for the sake of doing so without any real goal or reason to feel that way. You'd really think a super isolationist millennia old society, steeped in eugenics, genetic worship, and feudal sort of thinking would have a really hard time meshing and adjusting to the world around them. But it's almost like they have no real opinion or practices of their own and so they're happy to adopt Western, and specifically American, culture for their own.

It's just sort of weird.

You have no clue how much I agree with this.

It feels like Attilan and Inhumans in modern times are just sort of some weird non-developed people who sort of congregated together for the sake of doing so without any real goal or reason to feel that way. You'd really think a super isolationist millennia old society, steeped in eugenics, genetic worship, and feudal sort of thinking would have a really hard time meshing and adjusting to the world around them. But it's almost like they have no real opinion or practices of their own and so they're happy to adopt Western, and specifically American, culture for their own.

It's just sort of weird.
    That and the constant having excuses to make him talk / nerfing of Black Bolt are the two biggest weaknesses of the Soule run.

Royals is in space, so it'd be nice for Secret Warriors of the next Inhumans ongoing to start unpacking the role of the Attilan Inhumans and the Nuhumans and their cultural odds.

After Endgame they should consolidate the various books into a single title (barring Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl) and get Saladin Ahmed or Christopher Priest to write it. Black Bolt and The Once and Future Kings are easily the best non-Ms. Marvel Inhuman books being put out.

That and the constant having excuses to make him talk / nerfing of Black Bolt are the two biggest weaknesses of the Soule run.

Royals is in space, so it'd be nice for Secret Warriors of the next Inhumans ongoing to start unpacking the role of the Attilan Inhumans and the Nuhumans and their cultural odds.
    Those excuses really start to grate on my nerves and removes some of the mystery and air of oddity around Black Bolt. Especially when we think back to how much Black Bolt could use these talking abilities in his adult life.

What's the run called right now where he's running around as a teenager and Maximus quickly developed that little trinket that lets Blackagar talk regularly? That sucked. The Black Bolt mini in the prison? It was okay, but I think it just removes something about him in general when his voice is there. Sort of like if Daredevil kept getting excuses to get his sight back or something. I'm also not a fan when Black Bolt sometimes gets the ability to "tactically" use his power as a very small and effective ability, begging the question why he doesn't use it more often.

Secret Warriors wouldn't be a bad little spot for dealing with some of the cultural falling out between the Inhumans and Nuhumans, particularly with views on what is "ideal," or even how one should conduct themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    After Endgame they should consolidate the various books into a single title (barring Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl) and get Saladin Ahmed or Christopher Priest to write it. Black Bolt and The Once and Future Kings are easily the best non-Ms. Marvel Inhuman books being put out.
    A single title would leave too much ground uncovered, a book for the royal Inhumans and a book for the Nuhumans would be fine.

All-New and Uncanny were the perfect balance imo

YUP! The only part of their histories I would like to see resolved or clarified is

Sub-Inhuman groups like Bird People. How did they come about? How did they get their floating island, etc.

Possible historic/ancient connections to Eternals or Deviants?

Do we really know for sure that "mutant x-genes and Inhuman genes" cancel each other out - or what are the possible variations that could occur?

The Externals? Said to be Mutants who live forever or very, very long. Selene, etc. What is that true low-down? Are their gene/mixing from other off races; Eternals, Deviants, etc.

Just for starters.