View Poll Results: Which Of These X-Men Do You Like More?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magneto

55 66.27%
  • Polaris

28 33.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Weekly Poll 10-21-17 - Which Of These X-Men Do You Like More? (Round 3)

Please, read this before commenting:

*For future reference, keep in mind that although these polls are called "X-Men", it doesn't necessarily mean the characters will have been a member of any X-Men team. They just have to be a mutant or have been on a mutant team. Some polls will feature an X-Man/Woman vs a villain or an X-Man/Woman vs another mutant who has never been on an X-Men team. Thank you*

The last poll result was Gambit receiving 49 votes, beating Nightcrawler, who received 48 votes. (One vote was the difference! Make sure you vote!)

Thank you for participating in the last poll. This is the 3rd rd of polls. Please vote in this one:

Magneto

VS:

Polaris

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

My vote is for Polaris

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm wondering if this poll will be biased by Lorna appearing in the TV show?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Never got into Polaris. Her O5 debut didn't do much for me, nor her Claremont presentation. I just recently read some of the 90's X-Factor, didn't like her there, either. Compared to Magneto, there's not a whole lot to go on.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I voted for Magneto. He's just great.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Polaris. One of my all time favorites.

Had to give this to Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Lorna may be on the show, but the odds are still heavily against her for a poll on here. CBR's a board that's really only frequented by hardcore comic book fans. Even without that, Magneto's been in every X-Men movie that isn't character-specific, and he's been a focal character in all sorts of media besides (cartoons, video games, etc) for decades. It's also really early on for Lorna on Gifted. Poll might change if the show manages to last several seasons and she's given more of a presence than she's been getting in episodes to date.

One interesting poll I ran across on Twitter was about whether people prefer Scarlet Witch as played by Elizabeth Olsen, or Polaris as played by Emma Dumont. Lorna won the poll by about double, but the poll wasn't really fair or 'valid' because it had extremely low response (like single digits or in the tens).
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Polaris is a character that deserves more than she ever got. That said there is not caparison with Magneto. UXM1 - UXM 600 Magento have been there and beyond. Mags has my vote.

Polaris - She has so much potential and is experiencing a comeback today after being mostly ignored or on the X-Men guest list for decades.

BANNED

Both. But I love Magneto much more. The Master of Magnetism. He's one of my top 5. Maybe top 3.

Daddy Mags
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Ultimate Member

if you'd asked me a couple months ago, it would have been Magneto. I've never cared for Polaris, at all, but I've never actually disliked her, either.

But The Gifted's portrayal of her has changed my tune.

As much as I've liked various portrayals of Magneto in the past, he's been written super-inconsistently, and for every good memory I have of him, for every good portrayal, there's an awful one there bagging me down. The ties to WW2, which aren't as easily bumped up as Stark's Vietnam origin being bumped to Afghanistan, also are increasingly putting a suspension-of-disbelief gap on the character. He's, what, *ninety?* Yikes.

Polaris has somehow managed to thread the needle and play with her inconsistent portrayals, making it part of her character, and while I'm wary of 'oh, X is crazy, so it's okay that we've done a crap job of writing them consistently!' being a go-to writer's cheat for explaining away bad writing choices (since it kind of cheapens the issue of mental illness to make every character who has been written crappily, like Lorna or Hank Pym pull out the bipolar/mental illness card), used in moderation, it's actually kind of neat. We've got blind dudes and dudes in wheelchairs, so someone with a different sort of handicap is potentially cool, if handled well.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

No doubt for me, I've always hugely loved Magneto, maybe because I started reading X-books in middle '80s when he was 'Professor-M'.

I know, though, that Polaris' got a wide and strong fanbase, so this poll is probably going to be as hard as the previous one --BTW, I'm so sorry, Kurt :'( !

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Not in my case, my appreciation for Magnus has nothing to do with movies.

I'm honestly pleasantly surprised by the results so far. Right now, Lorna's just shy one vote of half Magneto's total. Based on Marvel's history of treatment for both, I expected Lorna to have much fewer votes.

One thing I've learned about favorite character polls is that when you have heavily popularized and promoted characters against characters not so fortunate, the real gauge becomes how well the less fortunate one performs in spite of the handicaps placed on them. I think how well Lorna's performing in the poll so far says a lot.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)