Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy 55th Anniversary of the Human Torch solo series "Strange Tales"! 1962-2017

Strange Tales #101 Oct 1962

"The Human Torch!"
    Johnny Storm and his sister Sue have taken up residence in Glenville, New York, where nobody is aware that they are members of the Fantastic Four yeah right.
    The town has recently begun construction of a new amusement park which has been the target of sabotage,
    by somebody who has also been sending threatening letters to the local newspaper, calling himself the Destroyer.

Johnny, as the Human Torch, decides to get to the bottom of things and find out why this is happening.
    He foils a number of acts of sabotage and saves people from getting hurt.

His efforts netted him a challenge being issued by the Destroyer through the newspaper.
    When the Thing arrives to give the Torch some help thinking that Johnny is in over his head, the Torch refuses.

Going to the meeting place, a cabin in the woods, the Torch has his flame doused with a bucket of water and is easily duped by the Destroyer who manages to escape.
    Johnny later decides to see why the Destroyer is targeting the amusement park. Upon closer inspection, he finds that there is a Soviet submarine off the coast.

With the help of the US military, he captures the spies, and the Torch learns the hide out of the Destroyer.

The Torch easily defeats the Destroyer this time and reveals him to be Charles Stanton, editor of the newspaper company which published the Destroyer's letters.
    He was working for a newspaper to learn what he could about the goings on in America to report back to his superiors,
    and he targeted the amusement park because its construction near the waterway would have made the Soviet sub visible to others.

Plot by Stan Lee, script by Larry Lieber, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Dick Ayers.

Yeah right, is right. It was later revealed they were just playing along. The FF title had the team as celebrities from the very beginning.

BANNED

I love the playful side of Johnny. He was always on my team of elementals in the MUA games, #1 & 2. It also helps that he likes women that cosplay as Storm. He wins in my book!

I miss when Johnny used to interesting things with his powers, like create duplicates, constructs out of fire, and other interesting things. Recently he just seems to do the basic flamethrower and fireball stuff.

Makes lasso's out of flame

Creating duplictaes

Freezing a room by absorbing all the heat
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-24-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

How was Johnny written in Robinson's volume of Fantastic Four a couple years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    How was Johnny written in Robinson's volume of Fantastic Four a couple years ago?
    Moping about and being self-destructive after losing his powers, he even had to have interventions from his friends. It wasn't the best depiction of Johnny, but I think Robinson was building up to something that got derailed by the cancellation.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Moping about and being self-destructive after losing his powers, he even had to have interventions from his friends. It wasn't the best depiction of Johnny, but I think Robinson was building up to something that got derailed by the cancellation.
    Ah okay, maybe I won't pick it up then.. Doing some prep for Two-In-One.

I dropped UA after Duggan, Deadpool, and Cable left, but I may pick it up to keep up with Torch.

Astonishing Member

It's time to enjoy more appearances of Johnny Storm and from Today's Marvel.Com is the Sketchbook from MOON GIRL & DEVIL DINOSAUR #25{Part One of the FANTASTIC THREE Storyarc}.

Sketchbook of MOON GIRL & DEVIL DINOSAUR #25.

where is Johnny, age-wise, relative to the original 5 X-Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    at least originally, he'd probably be iceman's age-ish, 15-16, also like spidey-- whether that's how he is officially seen now I have no idea.

What brought on the romance with Medusa? How did Crystal feel about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'd put him a year older than Bobby but younger than the rest. So right in the middle of the bunch. At least when Lee and Kirby were doing both books. After all the shuffling of time continuums, wjo knows anymore?,

Extraordinary Member

I guess I just put him and Peter Parker at about around the same age, which is about 30 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd put him a year older than Bobby but younger than the rest. So right in the middle of the bunch. At least when Lee and Kirby were doing both books. After all the shuffling of time continuums, wjo knows anymore?,
    that sounds right. i was surprised at how young he looked in the first run of Fantastic Four. he wasn't drawn to be a ladies man or anything; like he is now. that reminded me of Bobby who was always depicted as more kid than teenager.

they need to bring back this look.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 10-26-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Ah okay, maybe I won't pick it up then.. Doing some prep for Two-In-One.
    Johnny had a rough patch during that run, for sure--but so did the entire team. Robinson's entire run was a huge arc of the team being torn apart, broken down, and then ultimately overcoming their individual challenges and reuniting to deal with the true problem. Overall I thought the Robinson run was a real love-letter to the history of the FF. It incorporated so much FF continuity (both old and recent) and brought back old supporting characters and allies who used to be very prominent in the series but have fallen into disuse in more recent years (Wyatt Wingfoot, Sharon Ventura, etc). I really quite enjoyed the run.

I'd like to do as much back up reading as possible, even though everyone will say it's probably not necessary. Just how my mind works lol

Working on getting the first half of Hickman's run of Fantastic 4