Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Harlem's Own: Crew Discussion/Appreciation Thread

This thread is meant to celebrate the combined might of Black Panther, Luke Cage, Manifold (is that his name?), the incomparable Misty Knight, and the indomitable "Blue" (Storm, The Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things)
    This series was too short lived. But I love that it played up all the ties to Storm. I just wish we could have seen this team in the thick of things. What are some stories you would have liked to read about this team? Would you add anyone? Would you take anyone away? Do they deserve their own "Crew" specific costumes? If so, what would be he color scheme? Blue has to be included. Lol what are some of you guy's thoughts on this wholly organic team?

Yes, Eden's codename is Manifold.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes, Eden's codename is Manifold.
    Thank you, my friend. How do you feel about Coates pushing this as a BP team book, but all the ties that bring them together are inherently Storm's?

Frankly I think that was on editorial - the book should've just been called The Crew but they wanted Black Panther's name there for marketing. And they maybe should've waited until after World of Wakanda finished? There was briefly three BP books out at once. Which is overkill. Less is more. I also wonder if digital first would've been a better way to release it.

Astonishing Member

I felt it was a missed opportunity on so many levels. My primary issue was the story and concept behind it, but the writing definitely didn't help keep my interest. Here you have a diverse array of characters that represent different facets of blackness, yet rather than place them in a global setting taking on top threats, they're fighting gentrification in Harlem. While it's undoubtedly a real issue that can be dissected in the comic world, it felt lazy and reductive to have these characters get involved in that when there are other potential stories that could've been told.

Let me note I have absolutely no issue with social justice and politics in black comics. In fact I encourage it, because to act as though black superheroes exist in a vacuum and will have the same experiences and relationships to issues as white heroes ignores the identity and potential outlooks black characters may have, which makes them unique. But Coate's heavy handed commentary and poor utilization of Black Panther and Luke Cage really hurt my joy for the book. I want them to explore their identity, be cognizant of their place and space as black heroes, but to constrict such a multicultural group to Harlem taking on what are essentially Nazis felt like an easy route. The Crew could/should be a permanent fixture within the superhero community, and be about social welfare and the interests of "the little guy", with particular attention to black people across the globe.

The lack of imagination on Coates' part also deprived readers of the chance to see T'Challa in a different light. His solo is very insular and Wakanda-centric, which I love from a world building/storytelling standpoint, so this secondary book should've been used as a vehicle to show him operating on a global scale. Ya know, working with other heroes, travelling the world, and taking on international threats. It should've highlighted his leadership ability and explored his relationship with the rest of the superhero community. Ideally, it should've positioned him as a leader in the community with scope and relevance rivaling Captain Marvel and Iron Man.

Overall, it was a disappointment, because a black majority super team shouldn't be hard too create and maintain. I hope these characters get another chance to work together. As for what I would've liked to see, I think the first arc should've been in that Inhuman city in Mozambique. They take on a set of villains related to pollution and stuff, saving Eastern Africa from environmental catastrophe. Storm visits Kenya and gets some development with her family while T'Challa gets major tech/invention feats. Next arc is in the Caribbean. The countries are trying to create a multilateral space program with Wakandan aid. T'Challa needs the Crew's help to protect the series of launches from sabotage by Russian and US agents seeking to stop Caribbean progress. Luke Cage gets to fight the Big Bad, while Manifold's powers are critical in saving the astronauts. He also gets a love interest in the form of a Haitian scientist who is the team's tech support.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I felt it was a missed opportunity on so many levels. My primary issue was the story and concept behind it, but the writing definitely didn't help keep my interest. Here you have a diverse array of characters that represent different facets of blackness, yet rather than place them in a global setting taking on top threats, they're fighting gentrification in Harlem. While it's undoubtedly a real issue that can be dissected in the comic world, it felt lazy and reductive to have these characters get involved in that when there are other potential stories that could've been told.

Let me note I have absolutely no issue with social justice and politics in black comics. In fact I encourage it, because to act as though black superheroes exist in a vacuum and will have the same experiences and relationships to issues as white heroes ignores the identity and potential outlooks black characters may have, which makes them unique. But Coate's heavy handed commentary and poor utilization of Black Panther and Luke Cage really hurt my joy for the book. I want them to explore their identity, be cognizant of their place and space as black heroes, but to constrict such a multicultural group to Harlem taking on what are essentially Nazis felt like an easy route. The Crew could/should be a permanent fixture within the superhero community, and be about social welfare and the interests of "the little guy", with particular attention to black people across the globe.

The lack of imagination on Coates' part also deprived readers of the chance to see T'Challa in a different light. His solo is very insular and Wakanda-centric, which I love from a world building/storytelling standpoint, so this secondary book should've been used as a vehicle to show him operating on a global scale. Ya know, working with other heroes, travelling the world, and taking on international threats. It should've highlighted his leadership ability and explored his relationship with the rest of the superhero community. Ideally, it should've positioned him as a leader in the community with scope and relevance rivaling Captain Marvel and Iron Man.

Overall, it was a disappointment, because a black majority super team shouldn't be hard too create and maintain. I hope these characters get another chance to work together. As for what I would've liked to see, I think the first arc should've been in that Inhuman city in Mozambique. They take on a set of villains related to pollution and stuff, saving Eastern Africa from environmental catastrophe. Storm visits Kenya and gets some development with her family while T'Challa gets major tech/invention feats. Next arc is in the Caribbean. The countries are trying to create a multilateral space program with Wakandan aid. T'Challa needs the Crew's help to protect the series of launches from sabotage by Russian and US agents seeking to stop Caribbean progress. Luke Cage gets to fight the Big Bad, while Manifold's powers are critical in saving the astronauts. He also gets a love interest in the form of a Haitian scientist who is the team's tech support.
    Oh shit, this! I feel like the series was headed towards the global scale. It definitely had the potential to. After reading your opening I do feel like the onew we got was too small scale.

I liked the series and would have liked to have read more. The team line-up was great and I liked that Harlem was in many ways a character of its own in this series. I hope this team can see print again with their own ongoing.

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I liked the series and would have liked to have read more. The team line-up was great and I liked that Harlem was in many ways a character of its own in this series. I hope this team can see print again with their own ongoing.

Yes! They feel so organic now. Every character was in some way tied to Storm. Mr. Coates was very sneaky for that. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Yes! They feel so organic now. Every character was in some way tied to Storm. Mr. Coates was very sneaky for that. Lol
    I loved the team dynamic. Especially Storm and Misty. Plus, Storm looked great in every issue. I don't think she wore her costume/uniform once in the series and she still looked fierce.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I loved the team dynamic. Especially Storm and Misty. Plus, Storm looked great in every issue. I don't think she wore her costume/uniform once in the series and she still looked fierce.
    I loved the dynamic between Storm and Misty. They really seem like they've been girls since way back when Claremont had them meet at her parents old apartment in Harlem. He laced The Crew with so many X-MEN references. It should have been obvious from the jump that he wanted a chance at a Storm solo. It was quite obvious to more than a few BP fans. Lol

Take out: BP/Storm/Eden.

Leave: Misty and Luke.

Add: Kasper/New Nighthawk(Deadly Nightshade)/Blade

Do stories similar to how Bendis is doing Defenders.

Make it digital only and drop the price $1
    Last edited by Cville; 10-23-2017 at 05:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Take out: BP/Storm/Eden.

Leave: Misty and Luke.

Add: Kasper/New Nighthawk(Deadly Nightshade)/Blade

Do stories similar to how Bendis is doing Defenders.

Make it digital only and drop the price $1
    I think I would read that. I wouldn't like that Storm's been removed, but I'd definitely read it for more Misty.

I wish that Dwayne Taylor had gotten involved; as the fish out of water character.

Really like Manifold in this. Wish he had his own series.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I wish that Dwayne Taylor had gotten involved; as the fish out of water character.
    They need to do something with Night Thrasher, else why bother bringing him back from the dead? They'll probably do a New Warriors series next year though, to coincide with the TV show.