Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default The DC "super-power logistics" thread

This thread is for fun ways of psudeo-scientifically explaining and theorizing the logistics of superhuman abilities and the way they interact with the physical world.

I have two questions for you:

1. Under what circumstances should the Flash's feet get stuck in sand? (This one is for a story I'm working on)

2. Is Superman, without the manipulation of his own gravitons, really heavy due to his density?

Post your own and speculate away!

Running on sand is a skill. I would say his feet would never get stuck in sand. So potentially the very first time he ran on sand might see him lost traction and his feet get stuck, but he would probably be able to master it in an afternoon.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    This thread is for fun ways of psudeo-scientifically explaining and theorizing the logistics of superhuman abilities and the way they interact with the physical world.
    1. Under what circumstances should the Flash's feet get stuck in sand? (This one is for a story I'm working on)
    If the sand is electrostatically charged, perhaps having a high iron or iron oxide content (either naturally, because they're a rusting WW2 battleship out in the bay, or artificially, because some super-villain made it that way deliberately), then it might 'cling' more than normal to the Flash's body, which, logically, should pick up a bit of static charge through running (and with all that speed force lightning they draw around him when he runs these days, it sure seems like that would be the case!).

2. Is Superman, without the manipulation of his own gravitons, really heavy due to his density?
    I vaguely recall back in the Who's Who days, he was 300 or so pounds, because of that, but I could be misremembering, and it's hardly like anything from the eighties could be considered canon these days...

If there was even a handwaving attempt at 'science,' he'd have to weigh a hundred tons to be as strong and tough as he is, but that's obviously not the case. His power seems to come more from the solar energy in his cells, than his bodily density, and if his physical body was significantly denser than a normal dude's, he'd retain some measure of increased strength and toughness even when drained of power, under a red son, etc. which clearly isn't the case.

So, as with all things comic book, there's evidence either way you want to go.

BANNED

He has absolutely no speed powers for some reason.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Running on sand is a skill. I would say his feet would never get stuck in sand. So potentially the very first time he ran on sand might see him lost traction and his feet get stuck, but he would probably be able to master it in an afternoon.
    Interesting. That makes sense to me. What if he slid really hard into the sand and got somewhat buried? Hard to think of a real-life example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If the sand is electrostatically charged, perhaps having a high iron or iron oxide content (either naturally, because they're a rusting WW2 battleship out in the bay, or artificially, because some super-villain made it that way deliberately), then it might 'cling' more than normal to the Flash's body, which, logically, should pick up a bit of static charge through running (and with all that speed force lightning they draw around him when he runs these days, it sure seems like that would be the case!).

I vaguely recall back in the Who's Who days, he was 300 or so pounds, because of that, but I could be misremembering, and it's hardly like anything from the eighties could be considered canon these days...

If there was even a handwaving attempt at 'science,' he'd have to weigh a hundred tons to be as strong and tough as he is, but that's obviously not the case. His power seems to come more from the solar energy in his cells, than his bodily density, and if his physical body was significantly denser than a normal dude's, he'd retain some measure of increased strength and toughness even when drained of power, under a red son, etc. which clearly isn't the case.

So, as with all things comic book, there's evidence either way you want to go.
    Awesome theorization there, I didn't even think of the speed force, I could totally see the clinging phenomenon occurring.

And yeah, I suppose there isn't enough evidence to suggest that when under a red sun he's any heavier than a normal dude. But I'm curious about how the solar energy would impact his body in semi-permanent ways. Like, a muscle is still built or habituated to contracting a certain way, so I would expect some kind of after effects. I suppose athletes coming off synthetic testosterone or PED's would be a good parallel.

How strong are the instant shields provided by the GL rings? Can they be sniped?

How many strides does Flash probably take depending on the speed he's going?

Does anyone have a decent explanation as to why the Flash's accelerated healing means a lack of scarification or long-term damage? My understanding was that he could only heal from things a normal person could heal from, just faster (and thus a bit better), but when he got fried alive in Flashpoint and healed from that, it didn't make much sense to me.

BANNED

Does anyone have a decent explanation as to why the Flash's accelerated healing means a lack of scarification or long-term damage? My understanding was that he could only heal from things a normal person could heal from, just faster (and thus a bit better), but when he got fried alive in Flashpoint and healed from that, it didn't make much sense to me.
    Is there anything at all about the Flash's powers that makes even remotely sense?

BANNED

1. If he either sink into quicksand/mud. Or if he steps into a deep enough batch of what is known as 'fesh-fesh' (I think) which is a kind of sand thats as fine as talcum powder, and if you walk out onto it, you literally sink into it like it was water.

2. Theoretically everyone who's either superdurable or super strong, should be much heavier than they appear. But comicbook logic says otherwise.

How strong are the instant shields provided by the GL rings? Can they be sniped?

How many strides does Flash probably take depending on the speed he's going?
    Depends on where they are and what they are being hit with. The Sinestro Corp for instance had had a sniper who could put down a green from several sectors away.

Same as anyone else since hie legs do not elongate while he is moving.

Same reason he doesn't age to a skeleton at the blink of an eye. Basically has an inbuilt healing factor that's also preventing him from wearing down his joints and such.

BANNED

1. Under what circumstances should the Flash's feet get stuck in sand?
    Dude that can walk on water and vibrate through matter? If he doesn't have his powers for whatever reason. I doubt being stuck in solid steel will slow him down much.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    1. If he either sink into quicksand/mud. Or if he steps into a deep enough batch of what is known as 'fesh-fesh' (I think) which is a kind of sand thats as fine as talcum powder, and if you walk out onto it, you literally sink into it like it was water.
    But Flash can run on water. So Flash should be able to run on a substance that resembles water.
    Actually anyone that can run faster than 134 miles per hour can run on water. And Flash is a lot
    faster than that. So even if it is slippery than water, he just need to go a little faster. Mach 1 or
    Mach 2 should be more than sufficient.

https://www.quora.com/How-fast-shoul...o-run-on-water

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Depends on where they are and what they are being hit with. The Sinestro Corp for instance had had a sniper who could put down a green from several sectors away.
    Does anyone know where this shows up? Very cool idea.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

How do super invulnerable characters like Superman get so muscular? Muscles are built by the repeated tearing down of muscle tissue. How does that work when you have such an insane level of durability? I don't think you could find weights heavy enough to account for the muscle mass and definition these characters are usually depicted as having.

Astonishing Member

With Superman, his powers are technically genetic, so he might just naturally get muscular in the presence of the sun the same way jungle cats can get super strong because their metabolisms dictate it, despite lazing around all day aside from eating food and the rare fight. Plenty of species naturally develop incredible strength without having to work out the same way humans do.

Also considering how many times Superman has to exert himself to save the day that might help out. Superman gets tossed into challenging, life or death fights and he's like the poster boy of having to use super strength to carry something heavy.

The Flash wouldn’t get stuck in normal sand.

But if I was trying to write a story using a set-up like that, would probably use a villain like the Trickster preparing a stretch of sand as a trap..making all the stretch look the same, but different parts of it having different consistencies (some hard, some soft, some gooey, some with particles moving under surface) so the Flash..expecting normal stuff, using his standard running technique sank in, got stuck.

Certainly if you used a villain with very precise TK powers..who could move the sand particles as Flash tried to run on it..you could make a good case for Flash getting stuck.

Like the idea of Superman having unusual graviton powers sometime by the way...wouldn’t like it to be a permanent change..but temporary graviton powers could make for some interesting story arcs I think