Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    Nothing makes either one better, it just comes down to your opinion and which one resonates with you more.
    Well, I think the vast majority of the last 50+ years says differently. Despite that era between 1970 and 1975, X-Men have been the more dominant brand by leaps and bounds. The only other Marvel property that kept pace or just underneath was Spider-Man. Avengers have always had their fans, always, but before 2007 (maybe before Civil War), Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, as important as they were/are to the Avengers, were kind of B-list superheroes that wouldn't crack the top 10 maybe not even top 20 (all-time superheroes DC [probably holding spots 1 and 2 with Supes and Bats] and other brands included). Supporting cast members like Falcon, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye were even lower than that, in terms of wide-spread recognition outside of the greater sphere of comic readers. It wasnt until Marvel decided to force them above the X-Men did they start making leeway IMO. It's crazy how its changed thanks to the success of the MCU.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    No it isn't. I agree though that in every other area, X > A
    Yeah, in terms of overall quality? MCU over the XCU, Fox has put out too many duds.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, in terms of overall quality? MCU over the XCU, Fox has put out too many duds.
    100% agree on that. MCU hasn't had a single failure. While some did better than others, even the low-cost/tier character movies have killed it. Antman, I believe, made more than 500M. We all know what GoTG did. Thor 1 (450m) and 2 (645m), while often considered ok, did way better than just about any X-Men movie outside of DofP. Not saying that Fox had a "flop" but the numbers are different, especially being ensemble casts.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 10-23-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Simple.

The Avengers are the clasic superheroes stories. Even when they have great and amazing stories, the center of their "role" in the Marvel Comic comunity will be of the "Big heroes fighting, and punching and things exploding around".

The X-Men deal in more deep issues, like racism, ideology diferencies, etc.. Their cast is toghether not because they have super powers, but because they share the same problems as individuals (beeing hated and feared bla bla bla...). So their personalities and relationships are the focus. At least this was the concept of the X-Men along the years. It´s drama... and of course explosions.

This is for me the main reason why I will always consider the X-Men comics more interesting. This doesn´t mean Maverl had always delivered within this concept of what i enjoy about the X-Men.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I've always enjoyed the X-Men more the Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I like the Avengers. Cap is cool, so is Thor and Black Panther. But the core of the Avengers has always been Cap, Thor and Iron Man with various members coming and going every few years. Sometimes the teams have been amazing, but overall, IMO, the teams have been too much of a mis-mash of characters. I would love to see my dream team of Avengers (Hickman came close).

The X-Men, on the other hand, have stuck with the original 05 for the most part. Whether together or on another team, those were the mainstays. Then you add in Logan, Rogue, Colossus, Kitty, etc. and they are truly a family.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Both teams have good stories but I believe the X-Men have the edge with the characters that are exclusive to their line. Avengers is one big crossover book of the Marvel Universe. They still have some exclusive guys like Black Knight, Vision and Wonder Man.

Just a reminder. Every member of the original Fantastic Four has been an Avenger. That's crazy.

ATM the only thing that makes the X-Men better than the Avengers is history or nostalgia and I would say connection to the characters. Avengers books have been better for quite a few years now and the movies are leaps and bounds making them the more recognizable franchise. We’re all X fans so we love them but younger kids are coming up in an Avengers world.

Nostalgia. Mostly the X-Men written at their best are better than the Avengers written at their best imo. That said over the last couple years I've bought more Avengers books than X-men books because I thought they were doing more interesting stuff/written better than the X-Men. Sometimes using X characters in better ways than the X books were.

Regarding movies, it varies. I think the best comic movie between the two is Logan, but I thought X3 and Wolverine Origins were hot garbage. So I guess it applies there too, the X-men have higher potential but seem to crash and burn more often.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I think it's because the xmen have diversity woven into their DNA so anyone could be an xman. I've almost felt like one of the family when I read xmen comics

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I think it's because the xmen have diversity woven into their DNA so anyone could be an xman. I've almost felt like one of the family when I read xmen comics
    That's kind of a moot point. The Avengers are pretty diverse too, but they don't limit themselves to just mutants.

BANNED

And for once I thought I could go this forum without someone starting a dumb fanboy but I was wrong, ugh so hard to be X-Men fan when the rest of fanbase acts like this.
    Really fucking pathetic if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    And for once I thought I could go this forum without someone starting a dumb fanboy but I was wrong, ugh so hard to be X-Men fan when the rest of fanbase acts like this.
    *go to this forum
    *acting like a dumb fanboy (or) creating a dumb fanboy post
    *ugh, it's so hard to be a X-Men fan when the rest of the fan base acts like this.

Also, you should probably read the thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    *go to this forum
    *acting like a dumb fanboy (or) creating a dumb fanboy post
    *ugh, it's so hard to be a X-Men fan when the rest of the fan base acts like this.

Also, you should probably read the thread.
    I did, that's why I wrote post in the first place.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It's not so much better, as it is appealing. Growing up the X-Men were more diverse, but particularly the family feel and that they were trying to fight persecution resonated more with me than a bunch of heroes who come together to fight bad guys and then nada till the next threat. The writing of the interpersonal drama and elements was really the hook for me. I think both titles have waxed and waned over the years, and currently Uncanny Avengers has some of the X-beats I miss from the X-line currently. I have a personal investment in more X characters than I do Avengers, so X-titles will be my go to.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    No one asked (shrug).

Personally I agree with those saying that the X-Men (lol) have a stronger library of female characters. I've never related to most of the Avengers women and in general I dislike legacy characters, which a bunch of them are, so that put me off of the franchise for a long time.

Meanwhile the X-Men had the Clarmazons, which while he did tend to fetishize them to an extent, he also wrote them as containing depth and drive. They were all their own characters with unique identities, which is a big plus in my books. The character designs don't hurt either, as many mutants tend to be eye-catching with weird hair colors and mutations.

The oppression and discrimination metaphor is also a lure. Underdog stories are fun and while I agree that the X-Men in particular representing that is somewhat ridiculous considering 90% of are good-looking and rich, though there's still the macro issues of power that'd apply to them within a system that discriminates which is why a group like the Hellfire club works, I just view them as the 'champions' for the group instead of the average representation. Or heroes, if you will.