Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What still makes the X-Men better than the Avengers?

Considering just how big and successful the MCU is nowadays, It is probably true to say that the Avengers are far more known and even more popular than our Merry Mutants as of right now. However, as someone who's always been very fond of the X-Men, I've always preferred the X-Men as a super hero team over the Avengers and I suppose that a vast amount of us on here think the same as well. There's no denying that we're in the minority on that so I'm just interested why we consider the X-Men as the better team in Marvel even in 2017.

I will state that while I also find the X-Men slightly less colourful and even fun than the Avengers, they're far more investable as a group. They're misfits; not adored in the public eye. The books cover far more serious material and themes than most Avengers books do and reflect real life minorities, added with their mythology being far more vast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlinger1997 View Post
    Considering just how big and successful the MCU is nowadays, It is probably true to say that the Avengers are far more known and even more popular than our Merry Mutants as of right now. However, as someone who's always been very fond of the X-Men, I've always preferred the X-Men as a super hero team over the Avengers and I suppose that a vast amount of us on here think the same as well. There's no denying that we're in the minority on that so I'm just interested why we consider the X-Men as the better team in Marvel even in 2017.
    comics and tv shows... that's what is better than Avengers counterparts.

I will state that while I also find the X-Men slightly less colourful and even fun than the Avengers, they're far more investable as a group. They're misfits;(..). The books cover far more serious material and themes than most Avengers books do and reflect real life minorities, added with their mythology being far more vast.
    Ignoring this in the movies hurt x-men popularity
    Last edited by Xelossik; 10-23-2017 at 04:30 AM.

Spectacular Member

To me, the main thing Avengers lack is the sense of reality. They are süper powered people who get together only for crisis. There is a constant fight. Always some big thing is happening so we don't see their everyday life and it is not possible to bond with these characters.

But on the X-books it is their everyday life. They live in their headquarters and we see their normal problems. They are not heroes every second. We see some real problems.

BANNED

I don't see why one has to be better than the other. Ego? Pride? False sense of ownership? Pissing contest?

Sometimes I enjoy the current Avengers stories more; sometimes the X-Men. Sometimes I'm super lucky and can enjoy both!

A few random X-Men mini-series and one-shots helped me discover what an actual "comic book" was. The Avengers got me into reading them as a hobby. I don't need one to be better than the other. And they can both be good in different ways.

Ultimate Member

There's a slightly more consistent tone and theme, with the mutant-group issues, than with the Avengers, which are as likely to include mutants, science experiments gone wrong, dudes with tech, etc. A much larger percentage of X-foes derive from those mutant-centric themes, while the Avengers might be fighting Ultron one week and Thanos the next and Loki after that, with a dash of Graviton and the Master of Evil, none of which have much of anything in common. (Granted, there are plenty of X-folk who dip into other wells, such as Magik or Warlock or Longshot!)

The X-Men have often felt like they had more of a core group, ranging from the original five to the all-new, all-different additions of Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. The Avengers also have a core line-up of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wanda, Vision, Hank, Jan, etc. but there have been so many variations on that, with characters like Simon and the She-Hulk and Hawkeye, some of whom have limited interactions with the others, that I feel like the X-Men, for all their drama, are a bit more of a family (if far less so than the Fantastic Four!), while the Avengers are looser-knit and more prone to people like Quicksilver, the Black Knight, the Black Widow, Hercules, Namor, Monica Rambeau, Tigra, etc. coming and going and yet still being, in most cases, primarily seen as 'Avengers,' even if they are rarely actually on Avengers teams.

I like both, and I love that a comic-book 'team' can include a mythological god, a mutant, a space alien, a magician, a dude with a bow and arrows, and a robot, so I'm not at all convinced that the X-Men are 'better' than the Avengers, it's just a more consistent flavor, more likely to stick to it's socially-relevant mutant-issues themes, and, that sort of outsider-y persecuted minority alienist perspective obviously appeals to people, in some cases in a way that a group like the Avengers does not. Even when the Avengers has line-ups that include persecuted outsider-y types, former crooks, actual mutants, etc. it's never really the theme of the book.

So, anywho, 'different' more than 'better.' It's a matter of taste, IMO. Sometimes the X-side of things can get a bit grim and predictable. There's *always* a mutant genocide looming. Sometimes being relentlessly 'on-theme' can get kind of same-same-y.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-23-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

Nothing makes either one better, it just comes down to your opinion and which one resonates with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Despite how I feel about AvX, I still enjoy the Avengers, and many of my favorites are members. I agree that staying on theme can get repetitive and that this really comes down to preference anyways. The X-Men used to be the main attraction, it's the Avengers' turn now; I just wish it were all being handled a little better.

BANNED

The Avengers only have better movies.

The X-men still have better characters, better costumes, better stories.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The Avengers only have better movies.

The X-men still have better characters, better costumes, better stories.
    Even the Avengers having better movies is debatable for sure.

As others have said, the X-men feel more like a family trying to survive together and I find that more compelling. You learn more about them as individuals and their struggles. And I enjoy their interpersonal relationships.

Another point is that the X-men have more compelling and strong female characters, mostly courtesy of Claremont. I remember watching the animated series and thinking how nice it was that there were 4 girls and 4 guys and all 8 of them were fleshed out and had great moments. That's not to say that the Avengers don't have great female characters, they do. But it's quite telling that when the question of who the most popular female Marvel heroes are and who could be the equivalent of Wonder Woman that mostly X-women come up, such as Storm, Rogue and Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    As others have said, the X-men feel more like a family trying to survive together and I find that more compelling. You learn more about them as individuals and their struggles. And I enjoy their interpersonal relationships.

Another point is that the X-men have more compelling and strong female characters, mostly courtesy of Claremont. I remember watching the animated series and thinking how nice it was that there were 4 girls and 4 guys and all 8 of them were fleshed out and had great moments. That's not to say that the Avengers don't have great female characters, they do. But it's quite telling that when the question of who the most popular female Marvel heroes are and who could be the equivalent of Wonder Woman that mostly X-women come up, such as Storm, Rogue and Jean.
    Absolutely, the X-Women are in a class of their own at Marvel.

Astonishing Member

I don't care much for Avenger's villains. They are generally a very powerful person who is evil for no logical or relatable reason, the whole thing about Thanos and his love of Death (the person of Death) for example. Or think of Graviton. Perhaps thats why they fight each other so much.

I prefer the evil Mengele style geneticists of the X-Men, or the Hellfire Club who are pretty much Freemasons with superpowers, or the cult like fanatics, they seem more relatable.
    In the new Avengers event someone steals planet earth and I just don't care about that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Absolutely, the X-Women are in a class of their own at Marvel.
    this is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Atom View Post
    Even the Avengers having better movies is debatable for sure.
    No it isn't. I agree though that in every other area, X > A