View Poll Results: did Marvel push Emma as Queen of Mutants?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 52.50%
  • No

19 47.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what are your thoughts on X girls: Jean Grey, Psylocke, Storm, Emma Frost, Kitty

Would like to hear you answers, opinions and suggestions.

what do you think?/do you want?/do you agree?/dont agree that :

1) X books needs more A list adult non-white female characters?

2) Jean was dead for reason. That reason was called "keeping Cyclops and Emma Frost together"?

3) X girls tolerated Emma because of Scott Summers?

4) who will be the next Queen of mutants? Adult Jean Grey? Storm?

5) teen Jean, Kitty, Storm, Emma should be dead or "take a break" from X books, so other female characters will have a chance to shine.

6) Psylocke should receive more attention and proper treatment. The same can be said about Rogue, Polaris, Dazzler, Magik, Rachel. Or they do not deserve it?

6) Would you like to see other characters in the role of leader instead of the repeated Storm, Emma, ​​Jean, Kitty?

7) do X teen girls have to stay teen forever or become adults?

8) Kitty. is she a good leader?

9) Teeen jeen . Does she deserve to be a leader in Blue?

10) While Cyclops was the leader of X - race, Marvel tried to "promote"/ make Emma as co-leader/X number 1 female, while ignoring other female characters? (Rogue, Dazzler, Storm, Psylocke)

11) should Storm restore the lost position of the leader? Or enough solo book?

12)
    according to Emma Frost fans her relationship with Cyclops has not given Emma any favor / benefit / development / privilege or at least permanency in main X books. She was just arm candy. Do you agree with this?
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

BANNED

1 - Sure.
    5 - I say this about the 80s/90s nostalgia wank in general, not just for the ladies.
    6 - Constantly rehashing the same characters makes the line stagnant.
    7 - Let them GROW UP.

1. Yes.
    2. Probably.
    3. Maybe at first, for a few of them.
    4. I'd vote for Storm, but Jean is coming back...
    5. They should simply be written better.
    6. Let JEAN lead, but get JEEN outta here.
    7. Yeah, let them become adults, breathe new life into the X-teams.
    8. Not as she's written.
    9. Nope, she's horrible.
    10. I'm not sure.
    11. Solo book is fine, if she takes a level in badass like most hope, she won't even need a team.
    12. I think as the years went by she (and the X-books in general) was handled very poorly, I can see why some feel that way.

In the '90's the "Big four" X gals were Rogue, Jean Grey, Storm, and Psylocke. Joe Q becomes EIC and decides to make the X-Men over in his image. So what happens. Jean and Betsy end up dead, Rogue loses the abilities she had for 20 years and Storm is stuck with the Black Panther! That allows Emma Frost to become Queen sh** of Turd Island of Mutants.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

the most badass of them all... and while emma is cool its hard for me to see her as a hero, is weird, and i would love to see the new mutants girls having big roles on the new comics, some are cooler than kitty, and x23 is very important, wishing some newer mutants were important as hers
    we can be heroes, just for one day

2) No. Emma was/is irrelevant to Jean returning.

3) No. Emma was asked by Xavier to be a teacher for both Massachusetts and Genosha. Xaiver had a large part in them being okay with her.

4) Jean. She's coming back, and Storm was leader post Secret Wars. People seem to act like she hasn't had time to shine recently, probably because of Guggenheim.

5) I don't think they should be dead or in limbo if you want someone else to have time to shine. Just put them on books without those characters, and make the focus of those books other characters (they'd be a teacher with the focus being in the students).

12) When written poorly (and the X-books have been on the decline for a while), that's what happened. Written well she wasn't arm candy, but there weren't good writers for a bit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    Yes. It's basically Storm, at the moment. (I don't count Psylocke. She's a Brit in yellowface.)

More focus on pre-existing non-white mutant ladies who aren't (or are no longer) teens, like Cecelia Reyes, Dani Moonstar, Monet and Shan Coy Manh would be a good start.

2) Jean was dead for reason. That reason was called "keeping Cyclops and Emma Frost together"?
    No. Jean was dead because the writers can't stand married couples, and her coming back in the first place was a boondoggle that had no end-game and just cheapened her heroic sacrifice on the moon (taking her one amazing accomplishment and giving it to the Phoenix entity pretending to be her, and replacing it with 'Jean Grey - homewrecker who may or may not actually want to be with Wolverine...').

Some, maybe. Many of the X-girls never faced her as a villain and so had no reason to dislike her, other than her 'frosty' personality. Kitty made no pretense of liking her, no matter who she was schtupping.

Do mutants need a Queen?

But probably Jean Grey, since they seem to be bringing her back for no good reason. It feels like a desperate attempt to keep Storm back 'in her place' and out of the spotlight.

5) teen Jean, Kitty, Storm, Emma should be dead or "take a break" from X books, so other female characters will have a chance to shine.
    Teen Jean and the rest of the teen X-Men can go away any time now.

Emma can spend some time being ambiguous like Magneto or Namor. If the dudes can do it, why not Emma?

6) Psylocke should receive more attention and proper treatment. The same can be said about Rogue, Polaris, Dazzler, Magik, Rachel. Or they do not deserve it?
    I'd be fine with more of some of those ladies. Or Frenzy, Dust, Dani Moonstar, Rahne, Monet, Unuscione, Fixx, Wicked, Loa, etc.

6) Would you like to see other characters in the role of leader instead of the repeated Storm, Emma, ​​Jean, Kitty?
    Eh, there's only so many teams to go around, and it doesn't make sense for someone other than Storm to be leading a team, in place of those other three.

As long as they are going to keep dropping another half-dozen or so 'new, new, new' mutants every couple of years, there's no reason why the earlier introductions, like the New Mutants, or Generation X, etc. can't grow up.

Not a fan.

I'd prefer she (and the others) go away, or be somehow merged into their adult versions to explain a new perspective / characterization tweak to those characters (giving Hank back some of his youthful exuberance, giving Warren back a sliver of his old memories and personality, etc.).

10) While Cyclops was the leader of X - race, Marvel tried to "promote"/ make Emma as co-leader/X number 1 female, while ignoring other female characters? (Rogue, Dazzler, Storm, Psylocke)
    Nah, she was as bossy as she was as a teacher to Generation X or the White Queen of the Hellfire Club. Nothing changed about her.

I'd be fine with both. Wolverine can be in six places at once, why not Ororo?

12) according to Emma Frost fans her relationship with Cyclops has not given Emma any favor / benefit / development / privilege or at least permanency in main X books. She was just arm candy. Do you agree with this?
    I have no idea, and I don't care to pick sides between you and these alleged 'Emma Frost fans.'

I suspect she was arm candy when a writer wanted her to be arm candy, and relevant when a different writer wanted her to be relevant.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-23-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

No. Jean was dead because the writers can't stand married couples, and her coming back in the first place was a boondoggle that had no end-game and just cheapened her heroic sacrifice on the moon (taking her one amazing accomplishment and giving it to the Phoenix entity pretending to be her, and replacing it with 'Jean Grey - homewrecker who may or may not actually want to be with Wolverine...').

this
    jean most iconic moment was sadly the dark phoenix saga in wich she died. thankfully she came back but i feel some writers feel her resurrection cheapened the story
    her dead/live had nothing to do with hooking up with scott or wolverine

BANNED

Yes.

Nope. Editorial just preferred Jean dead as a symbol.

Nope.

Jean seems likely. Storm is a joke.

Only Jeen needs to go.

Psylocke is racist trash, who has been shoved down our throats since Remender's UXF. Bring back Caucasian Psylocke or finally kill her off. Polaris, Magik and Rachel deserve more attention and/or good writing.

I would like to see Kitty written as an INTERESTING leader.

Grow up.

She technically is a good leader, which is what makes her BORING. There was no learning curve, no mistakes, no starting with a B-list team to lead. Claremont has been setting her up for a leadership role way back in the '80s and Guggenheim fucked it up so hard that she will never be a leader again.

Sure, why not.

Yes.

Storm almost killed the X-books while she was leader recently.

12) according to Emma Frost fans her relationship with Cyclops has not given Emma any favor / benefit / development / privilege or at least permanency in main X books. She was just arm candy. Do you agree with this?
    Unfortunately, yes. Emma deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Yes.

Nope. Editorial just preferred Jean dead as a symbol.

Nope.

Jean seems likely. Storm is a joke.

Only Jeen needs to go.

Psylocke is racist trash, who has been shoved down our throats since Remender's UXF. Bring back Caucasian Psylocke or finally kill her off. Polaris, Magik and Rachel deserve more attention and/or good writing.

I would like to see Kitty written as an INTERESTING leader.

Grow up.

She technically is a good leader, which is what makes her BORING. There was no learning curve, no mistakes, no starting with a B-list team to lead. Claremont has been setting her up for a leadership role way back in the '80s and Guggenheim fucked it up so hard that she will never be a leader again.

Sure, why not.

Yes.

Storm almost killed the X-books while she was leader recently.

Unfortunately, yes. Emma deserves better.
    Why Psylocke racist trash?
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

1) Yes, certainly.
    2) Never liked that decision, but it was what it was.
    3) Not sure that's true.
    4) No idea. Either would be good, not sure either would want it.
    5) The whole "make 'em dead for a bit" thing is terribly overplayed. Killing a character to open a slot for another is definite overkill.
    6) Yes, I think they deserve it.
    7) That's a genuinely difficult question to answer. It's nice to see a character progress and mature, but not to see them "age" too quickly. Not sure if that makes sense. In Jubilee's case that choice has been taken from her - she's a vampire and therefore can't age any further physically. She'll be 18 for a thousand years, but she's matured quite a bit in terms of personality. So I guess my answer is that I think it's best to physically age them slowly, and let them grow in terms of personality at a faster rate.
    8) With all things in comics, it depends on the writer. Characters shine in some writer's hands and seem to stagnate or even regress in others. But in general I'd have to say yes she is. She was particularly good in the first issue of the new Gen X.
    9) No idea.
    10) I don't think the others were ignored as much as Emma was pushed a bit harder.
    11) Not exactly sure what you're asking here. I thought Storm made it clear she didn't want to be leader.
    12) Not sure I'd ever describe Emma as "arm candy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Kill them all ex for Emma.......

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    Would like to hear you answers, opinions and suggestions.

what do you think?/do you want?/do you agree?/dont agree that :

Yes. Hispanics, especially, given that at least some of the X-Men are still U.S.-based.

Yes. That, and Quesada-era editorial's stated antipathy toward superhero marriage.

Yes.

Adult Jean.

Storm and Emma, yes. Jeen and Kitty, no. There's still mileage left to cover with Jeen and Kitty.

Deserves doesn't really have anything to do with it. Each of those characters' development arcs were finished years ago. They've all long since self-actualized. I'd prefer they "graduate" to leader/mentor roles and for character development to shift focus to newer characters.

Yes.

Become adults. There are only so many teen stories you can tell about a character before you're rehashing stories you've already told.

No opinion.

She should have her turn. As they're all teenagers who are still learning and growing, they all should.

Yes, Marvel promoted Emma at the expense of other female characters. IMO, Emma usurped not just Jean's role, but Storm's as well.

Storm would be a logical choice, yes.

RE: another solo book, I'm skeptical that she can sustain one. She needs a supporting cast of her own and a personal nemesis or two beyond Mystique.

I don't think Scemma did any favors for Emma's character, no. It diminished her IMO. Properly written, Emma is a peer of Xavier's, Shaw's, and Magneto's. She should've been Scott's boss, not his partner/second-in-command.

Yes

Maybe but it was not the only reason.

Most yes others probably believed that she could have redemption by following the example of Rogue or that she was a powerfull chess piece and that could help.

The truth is that Emma's situation has always been complicated, but she has earned some trust at least until AvX happens.

Probably Jean but I do not know if that's a good idea.
    She is away a long time and if she returns with the powers of Fenix it will be difficult to win the trust of others. Personally I prefer Kitty or Storm in charge despite loving Jean.

You do not have to kill characters to do this. In fact this is in part one of the reasons why marvel has received much criticism.

Of course they deserve it's just a matter of getting a good writer and a good story .It's a waste to have Old Man Logan on so many teams with so many characters not being well used.

It depends on the character some have no vocation or aptitude for leadership.Personally lately all the characters that were leaders of the X-mens had a bad destiny so I do not want any other characters I like to become the leader of the X-mens.

Hard question do not know how to answer this.

Yes she has the necessary skills but unfortunately the writer has not done a good job. And to make matters worse as I said anyone who occupy this position will end up burned for the next to assume. I think Kitty will be sacrificed for Jean to become the next leader.

9) Teen jeen . Does she deserve to be a leader in Blue?

Why not? My problem with the O5 is the concept and not with a woman as a leader or a version teen of Jean. In fact it can be an experiment to know how readers would react if the adult Jean becomes the leader of the X-mens.

10) While Cyclops was the leader of X - race, Marvel tried to "promote"/ make Emma as co-leader/X number 1 female, while ignoring other female characters? (Rogue, Dazzler, Storm, Psylocke)?

I do not think that Emma's relationship with Cyclops t mean that she gained more space or importance.

For now it might be better for her to stay away from the leadership of the X-mens this position did not do her any favor and her readers or fans.But one thing I can say she will always be the third best leader of the X-mens for me as much as writers and editors have ruined everything.

12)
    according to Emma Frost fans her relationship with Cyclops has not given Emma any favor / benefit / development / privilege or at least permanency in main X books. She was just arm candy. Do you agree with this?

She won a little more space but nothing significant. The fact that she was dating Cyclops passes a false impression on the other hand whenever the writers needed internal conflict she was the most obvious choice.
    Last edited by Knives; 10-23-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Sure

You know how the consensus in the X-office now is to bring her back. Well the consensus back then was she never should have been ressurected and it cheapens the DPS. Also every generation needs a Dark Phoenix Saga.

Depends on who is writing them one day Polaris and Rogue like her the other day no. But also depends who you consider x-girls. The C-list ones don't have many issues with her.

Xavier will be

I'd make the argument that Rogue and Psylocke have received more attention then Emma these last few years.

It was Emma's school she rebuilt it.

You mean according to one non Emma fan. Emma has made her place as the only other qualified teacher at the school. Her place is headmistress. She wasn't given a story arc that did not link back to Cyclops post 2007. But no X-Men was.