Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My pitch for a new Superman cartoon:

An all-ages action-packed superhuman version of KING OF THE HILL.

Hank = Clark
    Peggy = Lois
    Bobby = Jon
    LuAnn = Kara
    Ladybird = Krypto

Dale = John Henry
    Nancy = Lana
    Joseph = Conner
    John Redcorn / Bill = Bizarro

Lucky = Mon-El / Jimmy

Khan = Lex

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The simple and most likely answer is Superman & Son, and it's exactly what it sounds like.

Or

Do a Superman show that cribs off the God Butcher arc from Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder. The idea being that we follow 3 distinct periods in Superman's life (Ben 10 Omniverse's first season did something similar) and build interconnecting and standalone stories with them.
    *Era one: a pretty overt homage to the golden age and Fleischer cartoons and all that entails. Chip-on-his-shoulder young guy. You know the deal.
    *Era two: play it like the "silver age" from The Dominus Effect story line. Superman's well known, and his adventures are strange.
    *Era three: it's the modern age complete with a married Superman with Jon as Superboy.

Gives DC the chance to use the OG suit, classic suit, and some new deal that's similar to the Rebirth one. With this format you can do stuff like the first time Superman meets Batman and the fight in one era, but Clark and Bruce watch their sons go off on adventures together in another (insert Super Sons here). Also, totally check out the nascent days of the Trinity, and the implication of a Justice something brewing in the future. Given the climate of the DCU (and the fact that Johns would assuredly be involved in this) and the nature of the show, Legion involvement would be pretty (rightly so) unavoidable.

The art style for the whole show would be pretty consistent all the way through, but each era would have its own distinctive flavor and slight alterations between them. You know the deal. Cameron Stewart is one of my go-tos, so no surprise that I'd envision that the animation and design team would use his style as a template. It's pretty versatile.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The simple and most likely answer is Superman & Son, and it's exactly what it sounds like.

Or

Do a Superman show that cribs off the God Butcher arc from Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder. The idea being that we follow 3 distinct periods in Superman's life (Ben 10 Omniverse's first season did something similar) and build interconnecting and standalone stories with them.
    *Era one: a pretty overt homage to the golden age and Fleischer cartoons and all that entails. Chip-on-his-shoulder young guy. You know the deal.
    *Era two: play it like the "silver age" from The Dominus Effect story line. Superman's well known, and his adventures a strange.
    *Era three: it's the modern age complete with a married Superman with Jon as Superboy.

Gives DC he chance to use the OG suit, classic suit, and some new deal that's similar to the Rebirth one. With this format you can do stuff like the first time Superman meets Batman and the fight in one era, but Clark and Bruce watch their sons go off on adventures together in another (insert Super Sons here). Also, totally check out the nascent days of the Trinity, and the implication of a Justice something brewing in the future. Given the climate of the DCU (and the fact that Johns would assuredly be involved in this) and the nature of the show, Legion involvement would be pretty (rightly so) unavoidable.

The art style for the whole show would be pretty consistent all the way through, but each era would have its own distinctive flavor and slight alterations between them. You know the deal. Cameron Stewart is one of my go-tos, so no supervise that I'd envision the animation and design team would use his style as a template. It's pretty versatile.
    Where do you get these ideas? Its awesome. Its pretty similar to Morrison's idea. Why are you not the boss of DC?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Where do you get these ideas? Its awesome. Its pretty similar to Morrison's idea. Why are you not the boss of DC?
    I appreciate the kindness, Soubhagya. As for why I'm not the boss of DC? The only thing that comes to mind is that it's pretty unlikely that they'd appoint a random 24 year old black dude with no publishing history or experience who's just messing around on the internet
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I appreciate the kindness, Soubhagya. As for why I'm not the boss of DC? The only thing that comes to mind is that it's pretty unlikely that they'd appoint a random 24 year old black dude with no publishing history or experience who's just messing around on the internet
    If they ever hold elections for DC top posts. You have my vote. I will get this show if you are there. I love the second idea. First one's a given.

BANNED

Go hang around the DC Comics office. Maybe you can a job the Scott Lobdell way.

Astonishing Member

My take would be a more tongue-in-cheek humor take on the character.

Superman would be the straight man. Pretty much the classic Clark/Superman set up with Clark pursuing stories to report and Superman dealing with various dangers.

But he'd be dealing with ...

Lex Luthor who is shown to be the type of guy to create Rude Goldberg machines to perform simple tasks. He'd create an elaborate death-trap that was designed to negate Superman's advantages but have overlooked Superman using obvious human-level things to escape (like not putting a lock on the door). Basically Wiley Coyote without the painted tunnels, being pummeled by anvils, and such.

Jimmy Olsen who in every appearance is either wearing a paper-thin disguise or else has ben mutated in some way. One day he's wearing a black mustache (with his normal red hair), the next he's got an arm growing out of the back of his neck.

Batman who is almost all ego and self-absorbtion. For example he gushes over his new Bat-municator totally oblivious that it is basically just a run-of-the-mill smartphone. Or he is telling Superman about his latest battle with the Joker (one punch) while Superman is stopping a flood, dealing with a rampaging dinosaur and putting out a rging wildfire.

Ma and Pa Kent- with Ma constantly sending him care packages of sweaters ("so you don't catch a cold in that drafty Fortress") , chicken soup and red underwear. She's also be asking about Lois and Diana, then mention that Lana isn't seeing anyone. Pa on the other hand keeps mentioning his farm and all the equipment he needs to run it ("I swear it was so much easier and cheaper back in the old days")

Diana who is part Peanut's Peppermint Patty, but acts just as dumbfounded as Superman by the constant suggestions that the two should date.

Lois who always makes exactly the wrong choice. ("I'm good friends with Superman, Mr Armed Thug, so I'd put that gun away", Sees criminal duck into building and decides to ignore passing police car and simply follow the crook herself, Headline: Lex Loonytoon Loses ... AGAIN "What? It's not like Luthor can get mad at me for telling the truth.")

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

At the moment, I think something closer to Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Justice League Action is what would work if it were going for the traditional approach - not necessarily as silly or stylized, but with that same kind of freewheeling anything-goes one-shot spirit, since even if I particularly wanted it I don’t trust the powers that be to do a more buttoned-up take on him and his world justice. I’d have it jump around in time throughout his career a lot from his Golden Agey early days to the present where he’s married to Lois and working with his son as Superboy, and maybe even the odd episode in his childhood or the distant future. Tonally, I’d want it to focus less (if by no means rarely) on fighting supervillains - his aren’t typically well-served, and I don’t see this changing that - so much as big concepts and big emotions with lots of exploration, from the distant future with the Legion and Superman Squad to far-away galaxies to underwater civilizations, each one with some kind of psychological or moral backbone built in ranging from giddily uplifting and hilarious to bloody-raw grief and wistful, unfulfillable longing. In other words, the Silver Age except it knows what it’s doing, ala All-Star Superman. A richer, more vibrant approach visually would fit that approach, I think, making all those settings really POP in the way they should. Juan Ferreyra’s take on Superman and his world seems pretty close to what I’m visualizing:

And there needs to be room for full-on diversions, whether in a wholly different animation style for an episode (it could be a Mxyzptlk trick if you have to justify it, or simply a noir take for a Lois investigative story for instance), starring another universe’s Superman, an old-fashioned imaginary story, a Superman Squad epic or Jon in the future as Superman Secundus teaming up with Damian's trenchcoat Batman, whatever. Really, even if this were allowed to be a more ‘mature’ Superman show I’d have it take pretty much this approach, just with a higher budget, a few long-term plots, and more room to go heavy and truly weird. And get Jason Lewis or Nolan North to voice Superman, they both have I think a hell of a lot of potential in that regard.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Don't sell yourself short. I'm still trying to figure out how Geoff Johns went from writing a random letter in 1996 to essentially running the place in less than a decades time!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. I'm still trying to figure out how Geoff Johns went from writing a random letter in 1996 to essentially running the place in less than a decades time!
    Now Now there's

!

I did not know that.

1y5qrx.jpg

1y5req.jpg

All one needs is love for Superman!
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

The whole thing of different eras of Supes would be cool, but I don't think that anyone at DC is remotely capable of handling that, at least the current leadership.

After the last 6 years of so and the whole downplaying of Superman by Dc, I'd be happy with anything that just portrays the character in a traditional and canonical way. Using his intellect and exploring his power set in different ways to battle super-villains, god forbid they use his supporting cast or the Super Family to any effect and I'd probably be thrilled.

Hopefully by 2020 all the red tape and people ruining DC will be gone so a decent Superman animated can actually happen.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

I'd pitch a kid's show. Seems like the stuff I like the most lately don't appeal to people who want to see inner turmoil and limits put on Superman. I feel the kiddie stuff tends to be unabashed about showing how cool Superman can be when you take off the restrictions and don't apologize that Superman is indeed too good/smart/cool. My favorite Superman stuff over the past couple years have been either JL Action or Lego things, so that's my building block right now.

Astonishing Member

I'd pitch a show that's kind of like The Batman in that it charts the arc of the beginning of Superman's career, mines the rogues gallery deeper than most and will zig in some places where STAS zagged.

Season 1- Superman and Clark Kent arrive in Metropolis. Clark has to deal with working with Lois and rival reporter John Corben while Superman has to fight various super-villains and a criminal think-tank formed by Lex Luthor to stop Superman.

Season 2- Clark and Lois's personal lives get a shake-up as Clark meets his new co-worker Cat Grant and Lois meets social worker Hector Delgado. Meanwhile, the stakes are raised for Superman as he finds out that a global terrorist organization called SKULL is recruiting both super-villains and local gang members. Superman finds that he may need to team with a local vigilante named Gangbuster to stop them.

Season 3- Superman heads to space! Word has reached Superman that a number of alien warlords are searching for a legendary weapon. A weapon created partially by the Kryptonians to defeat a greater threat. Its name: Warworld. Now, with astronaut Hank Henshaw and the ever-present Lois Lane in tow, Superman sets out to stop them. Meanwhile, on Earth, Jimmy Olsen and Gangbuster investigate the return of the long dead hero Guardian.

Season 4- DOOMSDAY! Released from a prison taken from Warworld, a horrible monster fights through Metropolis forcing Superman to make the ultimate sacrifice. Luckily, he left a legacy behind . . . of 4 different Supermen?

Season 5- The coming of Apokolips! Superman may have just returned but he's not getting a day off. Warworld has been captured by the very threat it was meant to fight: the gods of Apokolips and it's headed to earth. Now, Superman must unite the heroes of Earth (and some of its villains) to mount an offensive. Introducing: The Justice League International.

Among the villains I already mentioned, some of the one-off ones I want to include are Parasite, Prankster, Toyman (Jack Nimball), Puzzler (Valerie van Haaften), Rampage, Neutron and a whole bunch of others.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pretty much This:

start out with the current "return" stuff-- married Clark and Lois, with their son. Crossovers with Batman and Damian. Supergirl, Steel, and the rest are around.