Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    To be completely fair, it's not really comparable since a teen thinking of suicide is far more likely to read and find comfort the words of fictional character than a warlord will change his ways based on the aforementioned fictional character. Simply put: Superman (and fiction in general) have far more influence on the day to day image of self-worth of a person than he would on a geopolitical level. So, not a very smooth comparison to make, but I understand what you're saying.

That said, it still could've very easily have been written better with a more careful and thoughtful word choice by the writer.
    On that note, also helps that with All-Star it's clear that a fair deal of thought actually *did* go into what Superman said. The original script for that page was at a recent Quitely exhibit, and the dialogue was quite different:

"PLEASE, DON'T. COME ON. IT'S OKAY. YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE."

There's a fair deal to unpack there. Instead of the imploring "come on" and starting with a request of her with "please, don't", he instead tells her an objective uplifting truth: that the person she'd thought had given up on her was still trying to help. Instead of claiming "it's okay", he simply lets her know that it's not as bad as it seems. And only after then telling her about her strength does he make a request: simply to trust him that there's at least the possibility of things changing for the better. I'm sure you could still quibble with it, but it's clear that thought ultimately went into how Superman should phrase things in that delicate a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yeah... I had to.. LOL

Attachment 56819
    Maybe not word-for-word, but I frankly would have prefered something like this if it was always going to be handled with a hammer rather than a scalpel.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't doubt that among the times Superman has literally reached out to people on a ledge, D.C. did receive the best feedback from that story and Morrison himself must have gotten a lot of direct credit. I just think any real world issue is a can of worms that only gets nastier considering how different the world the characters would have to be to compensate for the shenanigans of superheroics and villainy. They're certainly different scenarios, though.

Maybe some writers should pick and choose differently when it comes to prying at those cans, but I guess the place where I personally diverge from other opinions is that I just consider it enough that they dabbled and just take it in stride. If Superman is in a comic where he does his best for others, I'm cool as a cucumber.

I look at it as making the point that unless the people with power to change things change themselves, things will still stink. It takes more than one oppressor to turn a new leaf, but if you can only go for one person it'd have to be the individual dictator, I think.
    Definitely. At least with the dictator, he can order those below him to do better if he himself wants it. The only ways things change are, as you say, for those with the power to change things change... or at the most extreme, change who it is that has the power to change things.
    Last edited by JAK; 10-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    On that note, also helps that with All-Star it's clear that a fair deal of thought actually *did* go into what Superman said. The original script for that page was at a recent Quitely exhibit, and the dialogue was quite different:

"PLEASE, DON'T. COME ON. IT'S OKAY. YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE."

There's a fair deal to unpack there. Instead of the imploring "come on" and starting with a request of her with "please, don't", he instead tells her an objective uplifting truth: that the person she'd thought had given up on her was still trying to help. Instead of claiming "it's okay", he simply lets her know that it's not as bad as it seems. And only after then telling her about her strength does he make a request: simply to trust him that there's at least the possibility of things changing for the better. I'm sure you could still quibble with it, but it's clear that thought ultimately went into how Superman should phrase things in that delicate a situation.

Maybe not word-for-word, but I frankly would have prefered something like this if it was always going to be handled with a hammer rather than a scalpel.
    Very much agreed. Didn't know about the original scrip though. Cool. I also agree on preferring Kuwagaton and JAK's more blunt version.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    ...holy crap, he isn't. Oh my god, is he finally being phased out? Because that would be the first legitimate ray of hope for the long term the Superman line's seen in years.
    Today's issue of 'Superman' had him listed as group editor.

False alarm.

The Countdown to Action #1000 has begun.

But that’s subject for another thread.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Today's issue of 'Superman' had him listed as group editor.

False alarm.
    Yep looks like Berganza isn't going anywhere. I don't know what he's contributing to the Superman line, most of the good stuff has come from Tomasi, Gleason and Jurgens, even the assistant editors seem to be contributing more than him.