Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
To be completely fair, it's not really comparable since a teen thinking of suicide is far more likely to read and find comfort the words of fictional character than a warlord will change his ways based on the aforementioned fictional character. Simply put: Superman (and fiction in general) have far more influence on the day to day image of self-worth of a person than he would on a geopolitical level. So, not a very smooth comparison to make, but I understand what you're saying.

That said, it still could've very easily have been written better with a more careful and thoughtful word choice by the writer.
On that note, also helps that with All-Star it's clear that a fair deal of thought actually *did* go into what Superman said. The original script for that page was at a recent Quitely exhibit, and the dialogue was quite different:

"PLEASE, DON'T. COME ON. IT'S OKAY. YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE."

There's a fair deal to unpack there. Instead of the imploring "come on" and starting with a request of her with "please, don't", he instead tells her an objective uplifting truth: that the person she'd thought had given up on her was still trying to help. Instead of claiming "it's okay", he simply lets her know that it's not as bad as it seems. And only after then telling her about her strength does he make a request: simply to trust him that there's at least the possibility of things changing for the better. I'm sure you could still quibble with it, but it's clear that thought ultimately went into how Superman should phrase things in that delicate a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Yeah... I had to.. LOL

stop.jpg
Maybe not word-for-word, but I frankly would have prefered something like this if it was always going to be handled with a hammer rather than a scalpel.