Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I like the way they're playing with the logo on the variants. Seems like they're having fun with it.
    Interesting, it looks like every issue is getting a variant cover.

Rather than boosting sales figures, I would like it if DH would back some new comic titles. More financially risky, I suppose, but I think they could add to the diversity of their holdings and maybe broaden the market, too.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This series continues to be fantastic, I love the character work with the Professor here.

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Interesting, it looks like every issue is getting a variant cover.

Rather than boosting sales figures, I would like it if DH would back some new comic titles. More financially risky, I suppose, but I think they could add to the diversity of their holdings and maybe broaden the market, too.
    But, would Dark Horse be able to handle additional titles on the production schedule?
    Variant covers don't take up as many resources as all the writing/ art/ lettering/ coloring/ editing/etc. that each additional issue does, not to mention scheduling the print run, packaging and shipping the books, and that's if they can get support of stores all across the world to make it worthwhile.
    And even if it was offered digital-only, you still have all the writing/ art/ lettering/ coloring/ editing/etc. required.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This might be Roberson's best Mignolaverse entry yet.

It can be a little heavy on the dialog, but none of it feels completely fucking unnecessary.
    Totally agree! He’s doing a good job on this one. I think the story here suits his writing style. I’d hate to see him writing something like the Lobster, but these dialogue heavy interactions are perfectly suited to him. It’s almost a complete flip of the Strode miniseries where she was talking to herself all the time to reveal plot information because there was nobody else in the scene.

Did anybody else notice that in issue #1, in the pub scene near the end of the issue, Bruttenholm was saying
    I really don't speak German. I can understand it a little, but...
    but during the séance in issue #2, he seemed to have no difficulty conversing in German with the spirit of the German soldier who had been used for the transference at Mayhew's grave?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Did anybody else notice that in issue #1, in the pub scene near the end of the issue, Bruttenholm was saying but during the séance in issue #2, he seemed to have no difficulty conversing in German with the spirit of the German soldier who had been used for the transference at Mayhew's grave?
    Maybe shoot an email to Hellmail. That's the sort of thing they like to fix for the trade.

Fantastic Member

Good catch! Hopefully they can repair this one.

Man, I loved seeing Sandhu again! This issue had a great Indiana Jones feel to it that I loved.

I liked the action, but I'm starting to feel the lack of Rasputin here.

Spectacular Member

Seeing Bruttenholm so violence oriented is weird, he's younger so it's fine but he's always been a very non-weapon oriented character - hope we see him develop more complex methods like charms and such.

So, I thought this was fine.

Multiversity thought it was a little anticlimactic, which maybe it was, but a lot of Mignola books have an anticlimactic ending to an action sequence (and not in a bad way) so it didn't bother me.

What did bother me, though, was how the ending was done. They did a heavily front lit scene from behind, rendering Remy in heavy black, so he looked like Rasputin. I found that really confusing. Then Remy just crumbles to bones and dust (another Mignola trope that I adore) but I was like, wait, did Rasputin kill Remy? What's going on? I guess Remy just dies after killing Mayhew?

I liked the scene in general, I just had to re read it to understand who was doing what.

Also, yeah, this definitely felt like it was setting up another mini series or two.

All-New Member

Just finished the last issue of this mini series.
    I enjoy stories about the "secret battles of World War 2" but I found this a little bit of a filler mini series.
    Not bad but not very exceptional either.

I may need to read the entire mini series one more time to fully put down my thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Also, yeah, this definitely felt like it was setting up another mini series or two.
    I certainly hope so... I'd like a trilogy of Rasputin books.

All-New Member

I had not considered that option but it makes sense that this would be the lead in to another mini series.
    So this would be sort of a bridge to fill in the period of '41, '42, and '43, years that have not been addressed yet in the Hellboy/BPRD verse?

It wouldn't surprise me if this potential trilogy lead directly into Seed of Destruction.