Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rasputin: The Voice of the Dragon general discussion thread

Well, since issue #1 will be here in a few weeks, . . .

All-New Member

I really enjoyed this first issue. Looks like it'll be a pretty awesome series if it keeps up. The direction was not what I expected

I love having a 23-year-old Bruttenholm as the main character, before he has the confidence of experience.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I love having a 23-year-old Bruttenholm as the main character, before he has the confidence of experience.
    Yeah, I loved those short early Bruttenholm stories from Myspace and then in the back ups to the 1940's stories so I'm glad to see more.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Yes!! Loving that cover, Mr. Tweedale. A nice variation on issue 1's variation

I knew Roberson had a lot to bring to the table, but up til now I feel we've only had glimpses of it. I feel this is the strongest thing from him yet. This book is going to be amazing.

Pretty heavy on the narration, but I enjoyed it overall. One of the better offerings from Roberson.

I hope he tones down the word count in future issues, but it all served a purpose, unlike in other issues.

It was an interesting first issue, but . . . I was expecting a little more of Rasputin in this first issue for some reason?

(Silly me.)

Issue #2 is scheduled for December 6th.

Rasputin: The Voice of the Dragon #2

A seance reveals that Bruttenholm's mission may be more than he bargained for when the stakes become more dangerous but the enemy only more mysterious.

Writer: Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson
    Artist: Christopher Mitten
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Mike Huddleston
    Genre: Horror
    Publication Date: December 06, 2017
    Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
    (U.S. Cover) Price: $3.99
    UPC: 7 61568 00206 5 00211

WOW... One comic with Rasputin... I want to see this..

Here's the variant cover for issue#2. Cover art by Greg Manchess.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Here's the variant cover for issue#2. Cover art by Greg Manchess.
    I like the way they're playing with the logo on the variants. Seems like they're having fun with it.

This might be Roberson's best Mignolaverse entry yet.

It can be a little heavy on the dialog, but none of it feels completely fucking unnecessary.

Spectacular Member

Roberson's never been short on good story concepts, he just has a great deal of trouble translating it into a well built story. I really like the idea of Bruttenholm working at Bletchley Park and being recruited into covert stuff, but the "everyone stands around and explains the plot" parts are so frustrating on top of what is basically voice over narration. it's so much expositing, I feel like Roberson needs to learn to rely more on visual storytelling.

Mitten started off this issue a bit weak in the way he drew Rasputin, something just seemed sloppy about it. The end monster sequence was fantastic though, really the highlight of the issue for me. Please don't blow this cool concept Roberson.

I thought it was good all the way through. I didn't mind the exposition dialog. Prefer it to the sometimes "left things unsaid" that goes on in some other titles.
    And Mitten was first rate. I might have enjoyed The Visitor if he had drawn it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!