Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-23 Movie Rumors, News, and Speculation

Ok, maybe a little early, but screw it. We had an official Gambit thread while it was stuck in limbo, so...

The news as of now is Mangold is drafting the script alongside X-23 co-creator Craig Kyle. As of yet it hasn't been officially announced for production by Fox, but we do have confirmationthat there's active development ongoing. Dafne Keen is almost certain to reprise her role as Laura, but the story and potential rest of the cast is up in the air.

Personally, I think a loose adaptation of Target X, with Laura being sent to ground with a Canadian foster family by the X23 kids' unidentified benefactors would be the ideal focus. Maybe they decide that the best way to protect the kids his to separate and hide them, rather than keep them all together where they'd be more conspicuous. Use Megan and Debbie (Megan should totally be played by Milly Bobbie Brown) as the family who accepts her. Think coming of age story with a violent twist as Laura learns what it is to be a normal kid while what's left of Transigen tries to hunt her down.

If Kimura is in, I hope they actually redeem her as a proper villain. The comics have never let her live up to her potential in terms of storytelling.

Bring in Kiden Nixon and the rest of the NYX gang. Definitely change aspects of the story but it could lead towards a great film. Especially with the whole sense of being a "runaway" (no relation to the other Marvel group).

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    Bring in Kiden Nixon and the rest of the NYX gang. Definitely change aspects of the story but it could lead towards a great film. Especially with the whole sense of being a "runaway" (no relation to the other Marvel group).
    I don't think they would do NYX tbh. Craig Kyle is helping out with the script, and all of the interviews that I've seen with Craig about how Laura moved to the comics universe has just been him low-key lamenting how she was brought into the comics, after her first appearance on XME. You could tell that he was happy to see his creation move up in the world, but also bitter by the means used to do it. I would want this movie to come together the way he originally hoped for her in comics. He deserves this!

Her introduction was rather messy. But they don't need to put X-23/Laura in the position she had in NYX. They could use some of those characters as ones to surround her with. Especially when Mangold knows of that source material... her screentest had her talking/asking about Kiden.

Her introduction was rather messy. But they don't need to put X-23/Laura in the position she had in NYX. They could use some of those characters as ones to surround her with. Especially when Mangold knows of that source material... her screentest had her talking/asking about Kiden.
    True. I do wonder if any of the NYX kids were mixed in with the kids in Logan

Her introduction was rather messy.
    Yeah, I really don't know who thought it was a good idea to use a children's cartoon character in a Max-level series. Also, I've gathered that Laura's first appearances in NYX and Uncanny X-Men have a lot of consistency problems with the later-written tales like Innocence Lost and Target X (case in point, Laura seemed a lot more functional in Target X than what I've heard about her characterization in NYX). While those stories had to have happened (Laura's time in the red light district is mentioned often on and is the root for her well-established hated of human trafficking), it also seems like there's a lot of papering over to try and make them fit.

But they don't need to put X-23/Laura in the position she had in NYX. They could use some of those characters as ones to surround her with. Especially when Mangold knows of that source material... her screentest had her talking/asking about Kiden.
    Well, I suppose that you could pull them in as classmates or something. However, A.) would that be the best use for them? and B.) Does Fox even have the rights to NYX? (It may have mutants, but is it counted as part of the X-Men franchise?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I suppose that you could pull them in as classmates or something. However, A.) would that be the best use for them? and B.) Does Fox even have the rights to NYX? (It may have mutants, but is it counted as part of the X-Men franchise?)
    This is actually a very good question. I don't think I've seen anybody bring that up yet.

BANNED

X-23 was a child in Logan, but she should be a teenager in the next film, as Dafne Keen would be about 14 by then, assuming the film comes out in 2019. Children grow and change very quickly at that age, so a story about a teenaged Laura would fit the actress better.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Thumbs up for Craig Kyle's involvement! He's been writing Marvel movies forever now and it's about time he joined the X-Men Cinematic Universe, too. Especially appropriate if he starts with his co-creation.

I'm not terribly enthused about Kyle's involvement, tbh. I think Yost delivers less cluttered stories when he's writing solo, so I tend to view Kyle as the weaker half of that writing team. But we'll see how it goes, especially since this is essentially a reboot version of Laura anyway.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

A little early. But, going off of LOGAN then x23 would feature a bunch lf kids staying off the rader from Transigen. Unless they have Cable bring her to Xforce. We dont know what state transigen is in. Or if sinister is in charage considering the clone espect of Laura and X24. Would be cool if they develop Kimura as a weapon to retrieve the kids after pierce and x24 failed
    X-Men Forever

I really hope they don’t go down the Weapon X path again. Can we have this be something other than Stryker/Sinister/etc. We’ve had them for almost every film possible and it’s been a little painful. Explore something new and not retread paths they have already done with Logan. Hence why I think it’d be interesting to pair her with some of the NYX kids.

Yeah, I really don't know who thought it was a good idea to use a children's cartoon character in a Max-level series. Also, I've gathered that Laura's first appearances in NYX and Uncanny X-Men have a lot of consistency problems with the later-written tales like Innocence Lost and Target X (case in point, Laura seemed a lot more functional in Target X than what I've heard about her characterization in NYX). While those stories had to have happened (Laura's time in the red light district is mentioned often on and is the root for her well-established hated of human trafficking), it also seems like there's a lot of papering over to try and make them fit.

Well, I suppose that you could pull them in as classmates or something. However, A.) would that be the best use for them? and B.) Does Fox even have the rights to NYX? (It may have mutants, but is it counted as part of the X-Men franchise?)
    Im pretty sure they do. They were created in 2002 or 2003? If not, then they could trade for things like they did with Deadpool.

BANNED

Uncanny is the only one that's truly hard to reconcile, as KYost took measures to directly contradict it, whereas they generally skirted around NYX instead. I think narratively NYX works best if you slot it into the time after Laura leaves Megan and Debbie at the border, but before she goes to confront Logan. That's when she's at her most vulnerable, and more likely to fall into the depression we see her in during NYX. It's then Kiden's actions of bringing her out of it that forces her to reexamine her situation, and leads her to seek out Logan to end everything.

Anyway, it's been a while, but I recall in some of the earlier interviews around the time of Logan's release that Mangold mentioned looking at NYX as one possible direction they might go with her down the line, but not something they'd jump right in. So I'd imagine that we wouldn't see that story until at LEAST a second film. I do see how it could potentially work as the second part of a trilogy. Basically it would be her "Empire."

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    X-23 was a child in Logan, but she should be a teenager in the next film, as Dafne Keen would be about 14 by then, assuming the film comes out in 2019. Children grow and change very quickly at that age, so a story about a teenaged Laura would fit the actress better.
    I imagine she'll look quite different compared to the first movie lol. She looked tiny in that but looking at recent pictures on set of her current movie she already looks like she's having a growth spurt. It gives them more room to work with what they want to do at least since she can become a bit more of a mature character. As for what they'll do next we'll see but at least they have the right person on board from the start to make sure things are done properly. If they could take elements from NYX,Target X and even maybe New X Men that could be interesting but I wouldn't like to see a straight adaptation of either at this point. Target X especially would probably fall too hard into the teen high school drama in movie format because they have to fill the time up.

I guess it depends where they want to go next with the story because they left things so open. The kids went off towards what they hope is their utopia but who knows what's waiting for them.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.