Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics#990 Discussion and Spoilers

We have a name for Jor-El's utopia...Bliss. Jon to his credit does try to counter-argue Jor-El though he was ultimately swayed, and Jor-El was very complimentary of Lois once more, saying her mind is her super-power. Clark disposing of those two guy's whole cache of weapons reminds me of the story where Clark ended WW II, and a little bit of "Quest for Peace" (and yes, I enjoy that movie unironically)

Lois used the signal watch. Liked the little touch of Clark saying he expected to see Jimmy.

It is a breath of fresh air to see a Kryptonian from Krypton that doesn't rant and rave about "pure Kryptonians". And Jor definitely likes Lois and Jon.

BANNED

Jurgens is doing the whole misguided Jon angle a lot better than what we got in Black Dawn. The art is great.

That is all.

BANNED

Also, this week's issue of Detective Comics takes place at the same time as this story is unfolding (at least the evening portion), with Bruce and the team distracted by an attack from Future Tim and spoilers:
    Brother Eye
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Also, this week's issue of Detective Comics takes place at the same time as this story is unfolding (at least the evening portion), with Bruce and the team distracted by an attack from Future Tim and spoilers:
    Brother Eye
    end of spoilers
    Yep. Things are ramping up for the Super and Bat families, to be sure.

Jor-El's motivation is clearer. There is no hope in trying to save Earth. Humans will never give up killing each other. Another reason is the one against whom they have no chance to survive is going to make his move. He admitted that to save his son he captured Doomsday, Mr. Mxyzptlk and killed Metallo. (Didn't he kill Kara's father?)

Things are still not clear. It appears that he has no control over his followers. He seems to want to save Lois yet the 'followers' seem to try to kill everyone in the city. And the followers are kind of insane. They keep hoping that Jor-El will save them while they try to kill everyone including themselves.

It seems that Action and Detective are coordinating quite well. I heard the news from Action: the public ones like Lombada and Metropolis gas bombs over at 'Tec.

Suffice to say i am satisfied till now. Contrary to the tasteless covers, story is not so.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-25-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Unhappy

I wanted Superman hitting his face but the kid stopped him... WHAT A SHAME..

I like the construction of Oz as a villain, a coherent ideology and a believeable way of acting acording to it. Still, there's something in the way Jurgens writes the scripts that doesn't make me invested on the story. I can't quite grasp what it is, but I think after this arc ends I'm going to drop this book. The art was great btw

The linework was a lot more crisp in this issue without the scrawly-feel some past issues have had. This art was on par with the best of New Super-Man.

As for the story, I agree Jurgens is doing a lot better and organic a job of playing up the "Jon is being misguided" storyline. Hell I don't even know if he is being misguided at this point, which shows its developing nicely, even if I could do without another "Father vs. Son" deal which looks to be coming next issue.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I like the construction of Oz as a villain, a coherent ideology and a believeable way of acting acording to it. Still, there's something in the way Jurgens writes the scripts that doesn't make me invested on the story. I can't quite grasp what it is, but I think after this arc ends I'm going to drop this book. The art was great btw
    Its not a bad motivation. I just hope Jurgens realizes Oz is wrong.

Oz has the same problem we have. Namely, he can now see the entire world the way we kind of can. He didn't have these powers on Krypton but he has them on Earth.

You see, violence worldwide is on the decline, it actually has been throughout human history. As we get more sophisticated and more comfortable we fight less often. But we think there's more violence because we can see more of the world than we ever could before.

I think Superman is a little naive to assume that destroying the weapons will end the violence. If anything, our greater capacity for violence has led us to become increasingly hesitant about using it. I'm reminded of a Star Trek episode where two civilizations fought using simulations, the people who died in the simulations were executed in real life. This was to prevent the utter devastation of infrastructure and all the other secondary effects of war. Kirk surmised that war had continued for so long because everyone had gotten comfortable with the war. He destroyed the simulation machines in order to leave them with no choice but to fight for real. This led to peace talks. Essentially Kirk did the opposite of what Superman did.
    Last edited by KingDragonlord; 10-25-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Jor-El's motivation is clearer. There is no hope in trying to save Earth. Humans will never give up killing each other. Another reason is the one against whom they have no chance to survive is going to make his move. He admitted that to save his son he captured Doomsday, Mr. Mxyzptlk and killed Metallo. (Didn't he kill Kara's father?).
    He killed both.. He killed Metallo in the begin of one solicitation.. In action comics, I think... I saw the same design of Metallo of the last antisupermen squad.
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.

I enjoyed the arc more that i was expecting and i'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingDragonlord View Post

I think Superman is a little naive to assume that destroying the weapons will end the violence.
    He mentions that with their weapons destroyed they'll have to use rudimentary ways to attack each other. Essentially, he realizes that it's not about the weapons but about people changing, but since he can't force them to change he figures he'll at least make it harder to cause destruction.

What I think of with an opposite of this is the For Tomorrow story where he destroyed the weapons in a big gesture, and then they threw rocks at him. That to me made him look naive.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Jurgens was never the best writer. If you follow him for a long run his writing style becomes recognizable for how basic it is.

That said, as a child of the 80s and 90s, I was grateful to have him back after five years of Nuperman. It was nostalgic, like I was getting Superman back after so long.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He mentions that with their weapons destroyed they'll have to use rudimentary ways to attack each other. Essentially, he realizes that it's not about the weapons but about people changing, but since he can't force them to change he figures he'll at least make it harder to cause destruction.

What I think of with an opposite of this is the For Tomorrow story where he destroyed the weapons in a big gesture, and then they threw rocks at him. That to me made him look naive.
    If this were real life, all this would have accomplished would be to make a weapons dealer some money.

In this particular case, one side had wealth and the other didn't. The wealthy side would get weapons back more quickly, then there would be asymmetrical violence possibly leading to genocide. Superman might have actually made things worse.