Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

If you want to get really technical, the collapse of Parker Industries isn't a 'regression' since Peter never built it in the first place. This wasn't the life that Peter ever imagined for himself and that's why he wasn't equipped to keep it going. He can't be faulted for trying to roll with the punches when he got his body back and not knowing how to handle something that doesn't play to his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    If you want to get really technical, the collapse of Parker Industries isn't a 'regression' since Peter never built it in the first place. This wasn't the life that Peter ever imagined for himself and that's why he wasn't equipped to keep it going. He can't be faulted for trying to roll with the punches when he got his body back and not knowing how to handle something that doesn't play to his strengths.
    A clear explanation of a valid point, good job.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    That's exactly why professional gamer would work. Unlike the Olympics, it doesn't involve testing athletic prowess, which would certainly cause suspicion for someone like Peter. However, professional gaming doesn't require those same physical demands. It's not like the Olympics where you have to worry about steroids or performance-enhancing drugs. In gaming, the most you might have to worry about is players using stimulants. Peter could beat that easily. Because of his advanced reflexes, he would be uniquely equipped to handle the competition and those skills wouldn't show up on a drug test.

But like I said, professional gamer is just one suggestion. The idea that he always has to end up back at the Daily Bugle is just too predictable and frustrating. I would levy this same criticism against Clark Kent in the Superman comics. I don't see why Peter couldn't get another job like the one he had at Horizon Labs. I think that was good for him and showed progress. But going back to the Bugle and losing most of his money just feels like Marvel dragging him backwards. I know that's not on Dan Slott. That's more a Marvel policy in that Peter just isn't allowed to grow and progress. I don't think that's good for the character in the long run. Given the success they've had shaking things up with other characters like Black Panther, Wolverine, or Tony Stark, I feel as though Peter Parker is just falling farther and farther behind.
    Yeah, but other than legality, I think it's been shown that Peter has ethical issues with using his powers to be an awesome professional athlete, and these issues would persist with being a professional gamer - he still has an unfair advantage over others.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It's gonna be a rough ride till Venom Inc. I wasn't expecting Pete to stay CEO of Parker Industries but it could've stayed around in some capacity especially since it was the Baxter Building and Avengers HQ.

As for ASM #790 it had less Peter bashing and more Spidey action so it's A-Okay.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

That's exactly why professional gamer would work. Unlike the Olympics, it doesn't involve testing athletic prowess, which would certainly cause suspicion for someone like Peter. However, professional gaming doesn't require those same physical demands. It's not like the Olympics where you have to worry about steroids or performance-enhancing drugs. In gaming, the most you might have to worry about is players using stimulants. Peter could beat that easily. Because of his advanced reflexes, he would be uniquely equipped to handle the competition and those skills wouldn't show up on a drug test.
    It's the same thing, Peter's spider sense and superhuman reflexes could be used when playing videogames which would mean he is cheating against normal humans and his conscience would not allow it.

The idea that he always has to end up back at the Daily Bugle is just too predictable and frustrating. I would levy this same criticism against Clark Kent in the Superman comics. I don't see why Peter couldn't get another job like the one he had at Horizon Labs. I think that was good for him and showed progress. But going back to the Bugle and losing most of his money just feels like Marvel dragging him backwards. I know that's not on Dan Slott. That's more a Marvel policy in that Peter just isn't allowed to grow and progress. I don't think that's good for the character in the long run. Given the success they've had shaking things up with other characters like Black Panther, Wolverine, or Tony Stark, I feel as though Peter Parker is just falling farther and farther behind.
    To sum extent I agree, although I do also love him working at the Bugle.
    It looks like Robertson is gonna make him head Science writer or whatever, so I guess that's a step up from freelance shutterbug.
    Peter working at Horizon was legit one of the best things Slott ever did for Spidey, because it showed him using his Scientific prowess to it's potential, - the type of job Uncle Ben had always envisioned for him......

But once he got his mind/body back, Peter resuming as CEO of PI just made no sense to me and again highlighted Dan Slott's whacked out understanding of the character, (and some of you may disagree with me on this but...) Imo what the real Peter would have done is a) strategically and swiftly disassemble the company because it was built from the ground up by one of his greatest enemies and could be indirectly funding all kinds of nefarious schemes ...and b) the other reason he would do this is because since he did not build the company, I don't think he would feel he deserves to reaping the rewards of it, I guess the counter argument to this would be he felt it was deserved payback after Superior underoos.

And if you wanna talk about dragging Spidey backwards, the biggest ever culprit there was OMD/BND.
    Spidey being married and having their daughter May would have been the biggest and best progression he could ever have and they wiped it out.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 10-31-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm not a fan of the PI concept and I have yet to read most of the issues.

But I have no problem with the way Slott is moving forward from it. I think it's typical Peter Parker to do the right thing, but not in the most optimal way.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the past two issues more than anything since the "Big Time" era, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm not a fan of the PI concept and I have yet to read most of the issues.

But I have no problem with the way Slott is moving forward from it. I think it's typical Peter Parker to do the right thing, but not in the most optimal way.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the past two issues more than anything since the "Big Time" era, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.
    I have enjoyed the last 2 issues quite a bit as well; and #790 more than #789----perhaps not coincidentally, whenever Gage is involved in the script, I enjoy the book----and Peter's characterization---moreso than when Slott is the sole writer.

BANNED

I for one havent read a amazing spiderman comic since the other, PI brought me ack because it allowed me interest in peters life outside the costume which was bored me to tears how peter still didnt have much exitiment when he was married and tonys lap dog, as a buisness man he got me exited and i looked forward to brand new takes to his life as someone who was not a mankid and poorly looked down on.

Now im just into the mcu spidey now, at least he has the student of ironman mythos as part of his story. I just dont like the underdog side to him since hes been depicted a brillant genius like ironman and mr fantastic recently and in the past.

BANNED

Well im dropping this till pi comes back, or peter isnt treated as a average nobody living a low income life.