Default Kyber crystal "Bleeding"?

How do you like the introduction of the Sith's red lightsabers being created by making an existing kyber crystal "bleed"? For years I just figured there was a planet the Sith went to that had red kyber crystals different from Ilum where the Jedi went.

Its certainly a dark and creepier concept, but I only question it because it requires them to take a crystal from a Jedi's lightsaber, which seems problematic depending on what Star Wars era you're in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    How do you like the introduction of the Sith's red lightsabers being created by making an existing kyber crystal "bleed"? For years I just figured there was a planet the Sith went to that had red kyber crystals different from Ilum where the Jedi went.

Its certainly a dark and creepier concept, but I only question it because it requires them to take a crystal from a Jedi's lightsaber, which seems problematic depending on what Star Wars era you're in.
    I love it. In the old EU they were simply artificial crystals as opposed to the Jedi's natural ones (this was long before Jedi got their crystals on special vision quests in a Jedi Temple). I also like that a Lightside user can reverse it, yielding white crystals.

But I don't think they can just find a new, unused crystal "in the wild" and bleed that. No reason it has to come from a Jedi (other than style points and bragging rights).

iMan 42s

I think it works for the Sith though I have several questions regarding it but as a concept it seems cool enough.
    Beyond that the synthetic crystals are still a thing so it's only a matter of time before we see them in use again in lightsabers. Currently lightsabers seem to be commonly replaced which means that Jedi/potential Sith not only have the weapons on hand, but know how to make them themselves. I'd imagine Sith would take Jedi lightsabers but then again if you already possess one then you lack a reason to get a separate one which seems to have been the intended case with Vader.

Actually as an aside here, we seem to have a pretty good idea of how they get the sabers presumably being that most former Jedi likely just bleed the existing crystals. Vader seems to have intended to just bleed his own, Dooku likely turned his old blade, but what about Maul or the inquisitors? Savage Opress just kind of had one.
    Last edited by SuperiorIronman; 10-25-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I think it's one of the craziest fanfic-ish ideas to come out of the new Star Wars canon. I preferred the original idea that the Sith simply used synthetic crystals, which always produced red blades. Heck, they could have just had it that Sith always use red blades out of some ancient tradition and the Jedi stay away from that color for their lightsabers as a result.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I think it works for the Sith though I have several questions regarding it but as a concept it seems cool enough.
    Beyond that the synthetic crystals are still a thing...
    I don't think they are. That was old EU.

I'd imagine Sith would take Jedi lightsabers but then again if you already possess one then you lack a reason to get a separate one which seems to have been the intended case with Vader.
    Except it is a point of doctrine for the Sith.

Actually as an aside here, we seem to have a pretty good idea of how they get the sabers presumably being that most former Jedi likely just bleed the existing crystals. Vader seems to have intended to just bleed his own, Dooku likely turned his old blade, but what about Maul or the inquisitors? Savage Opress just kind of had one.
    The Inquisitors have the new canon bleeded crystals. Ahsoka got the crystals for her new white Lightsabers from an Inquisitor and 'healed' them.

Dooku, being Darth Sidious's aprentice at the time, likely was required by his Master to kill a Jedi and get his Saber.

The crystals as a concept kind of date way back to the earlier Star Wars drafts, and of course showed up as the Macguffin in "Splinter of the Mind's Eye".

They didn't seem to be a major deal in the EU I think until around the prequel era, where they were kind of worked back into things...and became the major explanation for how lightsabers worked, although I think it was Clone Wars and Rogue One that kind of used them as an explanation for the Death Star's power as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think they are. That was old EU.

Except it is a point of doctrine for the Sith.

The Inquisitors have the new canon bleeded crystals. Ahsoka got the crystals for her new white Lightsabers from an Inquisitor and 'healed' them.

Dooku, being Darth Sidious's aprentice at the time, likely was required by his Master to kill a Jedi and get his Saber.
    They reappeared in one of the mobile games which is apparently canon. Apparently synthetic crystals had been relatively recent and explosive so they aren't normally used.

But then why would Sidious be mad at Vader for losing his prior lightsaber? According to him "the crystal from any Jedi's lightsaber will do" and Anakin still had his up until Mustafar so why couldn't he just bleed that (it worked well enough for him following his heel turn)? Most Sith in the franchise are also prior Jedi. Is it established they need a completely separate lightsaber as that to my knowledge hasn't been established if any crystal works well enough. Even according to Sidious the resulting lightsaber is no different than any other lightsaber except that the color is red. If any will do and that Sith already possess one then why do they need to get another? And isn't that problematic in eras where there are less Jedi or a ton of Sith? The Sith had an Empire prior to the movies so did all Sith at the time possess crystals taken from Jedi, and did all ancient Jedi who turned steal others before they left (on Malachor there was at least 1000 sith)? That also doesn't answer the older lightsaber designs preceding the design Kylo Ren uses as if things like the Darksaber and Bane's pike was early forms of it, than do they use crystals? If they don't and work fine against modern sabers then why do Sith need crystals? When did this practice start since Sith clearly didn't exclusively go red until after the rule of two which was ultimately a thousand years prior to Phantom Menace since Bane had orange.

Also how do you get black as you would think that would come from the bad guys but it came from a mandalorian Jedi.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    They reappeared in one of the mobile games which is apparently canon. Apparently synthetic crystals had been relatively recent and explosive so they aren't normally used.
    I'll take your word for it. I don't play games on my phone.

But then why would Sidious be mad at Vader for losing his prior lightsaber? According to him "the crystal from any Jedi's lightsaber will do" and Anakin still had his up until Mustafar so why couldn't he just bleed that...
    Because Anakin is not a Jedi.
    And the important bit is "The Saber of a Sith is not given. It is taken."
    The Sith needs to take the Saber from a Jedi, not use just any old Jedi saber he found lying around somewhere.

Most Sith in the franchise are also prior Jedi.
    Only Dooku and Anakin, I think.
    That's half the Sith in the movies not most. Ex-Jedi become a small minority once you look at the rest of canon and at the EU.

Is it established they need a completely separate lightsaber as that to my knowledge hasn't been established if any crystal works well enough. Even according to Sidious the resulting lightsaber is no different than any other lightsaber except that the color is red. If any will do and that Sith already possess one then why do they need to get another?
    Sith can use any Lighsaber, even if it's a green or blue one. No problem whatsoever.
    Sith are a religion though, and religions have rules that are often not logical or rational.

And isn't that problematic in eras where there are less Jedi or a ton of Sith? The Sith had an Empire prior to the movies so did all Sith at the time possess crystals taken from Jedi, and did all ancient Jedi who turned steal others before they left (on Malachor there was at least 1000 sith)?
    The Sith Lords get formerly Jedi Sabers, and the Sith Mooks will just have to make do with what is available.

That also doesn't answer the older lightsaber designs preceding the design Kylo Ren uses as if things like the Darksaber and Bane's pike was early forms of it, than do they use crystals?
    These are things that need explaining?
    The Darksaber is built using Mandalorian trade secrets and I don't understand what the question is about Kylo Renn's saber.

If they don't and work fine against modern sabers then why do Sith need crystals? When did this practice start since Sith clearly didn't exclusively go red until after the rule of two which was ultimately a thousand years prior to Phantom Menace since Bane had orange.
    Some Sith are less devout or dogmatic than others?
    It's a religious rule, not an immutable law of nature.

Also how do you get black...
    Rule of cool, which in Star Wars trumps every other rule.