Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    There are no big changes nor big shake ups nor change of directions but a continuation from what precede the special.
    If you like it the Marvel from the last two years, you are lucky.
    If you don't like the Marvel from the last two years, try again in 2019.
    Yes, Marvel Legacy is a continuation of the Marvel Universe. It's not a reboot.

But returning characters like classic Steve, Odinson Thor, Logan, and Tony Stark, etc., is a "shake up" and "change of direction". It's giving certain fans what they say they wanted - a return of the original heroes. It's just happening as storylines naturally unfold, not in an abrupt, all-at-once, across the board return.

Mighty Member

Yes, you can buy it, but it makes more sense to just skip the story that not knowing what happens in issues 2 and 4 and how the story ends.
    I have done this. If I do not like a writer, I really do not care what happens in the issues they write. Alternatively, if the writer has technical skill, I am less interested in the surrounding issues. (Kieron Gillen is a good example. He writes in varying tone and style. At the very least, reading something he wrote is a chance to see how to write.)

I have no problem with crossovers and "mini"-events, but I am also scared that Marvel's going to see the inevitable success of Venom Inc, Phoenix Resurrection, and No Surrender, and try to replicate it on a bigger scale like they've been doing for the last decade.
    This is more or less my concern. I barely got through "Secret Wars". I only read maybe half of it, and that was time and money that I did not have. (It is not sustainable when my file is backed up by two months, despite me picking stuff up every fortnight, and then more drops before I read what I last bought.)

The only workable solution might be for that event to consume my entire pull-list. But, I am not sure that I want my pull-file to be so focused on what is essentially one series. (I like Slott and Costa. But, do I want them to be my entire pull-file?)

I can kind of get it, at least in small children. But it makes no sense at all when it comes to adults. But it's also the way Marvel and DC have conditioned their audience for decades.
    Chickens and eggs.

Did Marvel and DC train the bulk of their fans to think this way? Or, did Marvel and DC recognize that a number of fans already thought that way and then start playing to those fans? I agree that adults (even older kids) need to get over it. But, I am not sure where the blame for the current situation lies.

It wasn't really a continuation of the old cartoon. Like it was, but it wasn't. It was only pseudoly connected in a tangential kind of way. It was more playing off an idea of the X-Men from that era of X-Men. If they'd of just given Chris Sims and Chad Bowers a X-Men comic in continuity to do the same thing they were in '92, it'd probably have lasted longer.
    I am not sure that the tone of "X-Men '92" would have fit with the current X-series. And, the joke would have been lost, as a 90s riff would be harder to do while staying consistent with the rest of the X-series.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    WebLurker :

but it wasn't like x-men tas.
    this was parody of x-men tas.
    and...
    this series had much more x-men and that's why no one had any personal story.
    almost all x-men had 1-2 panels per issue because they added like 40 additional x-men to tas roster.
    Okay.

I guess I might need to read it myself to fully understand what, exactly, the comic series was (given that the '90s cartoon is of zero interest to me, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for reading it). But fair enough.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Okay.

I guess I might need to read it myself to fully understand what, exactly, the comic series was (given that the '90s cartoon is of zero interest to me, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for reading it). But fair enough.
    depends.
    If You want really light story about x-men then You will probably like this.
    I prefer X-men as personal stories about small group of x-men (and rotating so different characters are focused in different stories). X-men 92 is not for me.

depends.
    If You want really light story about x-men then You will probably like this.
    I prefer X-men as personal stories about small group of x-men (and rotating so different characters are focused in different stories). X-men 92 is not for me.
    Maybe I should pass, too? While I tend to like light-hearted stuff more in general, I have pure apathy for the source material in the first place, I'm not very fond of team-based comics in general, and the only thing I like about X-Men in comic form is X-23.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Maybe I should pass, too? While I tend to like light-hearted stuff more in general, I have pure apathy for the source material in the first place, I'm not very fond of team-based comics in general, and the only thing I like about X-Men in comic form is X-23.
    I think that Marvel have many books better than X-men 92(especially vol 2).

"sugahtoooom"?
    how do You like this sound of blow?
    we had this sound when Rogue was punching her enemy (probably because she has accent - Sugah instead of Sugar)

I think that whaam, boom are better.

for me that was closer to parody than continuation. Really, really light

and in one arc(5 issues) we had X-men, brood, generationx, Apocalypse and his horsemen, magneto, shi ar, joseph(magneto clone), x factor(team), cassandra nova, deadpool and his mercs, x-men from future, doom, i probably missed someone
    but that;s still incredible big number of characters. Not even single one of them had a lot of panels.
    Last edited by Xelossik; 11-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.

I think that Marvel have many books better than X-men 92(especially vol 2).

"sugahtoooom"?
    how do You like this sound of blow?
    we had this sound when Rogue was punching her enemy (probably because she has accent - Sugah instead of Sugar)
    I think that whaam, boom are better.[/quote]

I'll never be able to picture Rogue saying "sugar."

for me that was closer to parody than continuation. Really, really light
    I see your point (although I'm not sure continuation and parody are mutually exclusive).

and in one arc(5 issues) we had X-men, brood, generationx, Apocalypse and his horsemen, magneto, shi ar, joseph(magneto clone), x factor(team), cassandra nova, deadpool and his mercs, x-men from future, doom, i probably missed someone
    but that;s still incredible big number of characters. Not even single one of them had a lot of panels.
    My head's starting to spin.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I just read "Marvel Legacy #1" and, so far so great -- anyone know the release dates for the rest of this crossover?

BANNED

That person is wrong.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

X books need a lot of help. Not a Venom crossover

Mighty Member

It is fair to call "X-Men '92" a parody. But, it is not just a parody of X-Men. It is a parody of the 90s. I generally avoid comics with sound-effects (because the Bronze Age is over). But, in the case of "X-Men '92", it worked because it was not supposed to be good, it was supposed to evoke a decade known (not without some justification) for bad comics.

The problem was that a parody can only run so long before the joke plays out.

X books need a lot of help. Not a Venom crossover
    Speaking of the 90s...
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I just read "Marvel Legacy #1" and, so far so great -- anyone know the release dates for the rest of this crossover?
    It was a one shot. Not a crossover. And the next chapter of that specific story... Not clear. Maybe GotG, maybe 2-in-1, maybe Thor. Dr.Strange could offer a most direct answer to the Loki's quest but outside that, you only can guess.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    It was a one shot. Not a crossover. And the next chapter of that specific story... Not clear. Maybe GotG, maybe 2-in-1, maybe Thor. Dr.Strange could offer a most direct answer to the Loki's quest but outside that, you only can guess.
    When people are talking about Legacy here it's in reference to Marvel's latest/greatest rebranding of their comic books, just like "Marvel NOW!" and "All-New All-Different" were.

Well, some of the Domains became ongoing series (e.g. A-Force, X-Men '92, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows) and there was that Contest of Champions series that took place on a re-formed 2005 Battleworld. Not all of them lasted (is RYV the last of the '05 Secret Wars series still running?) and it's not quite what you were describing, but they did kind of keep it going.
    I would have liked no Multiverse formed and just Battleworld the only reality for about 18 months after Dooms overthrow, rather than what we got - a hotch potch of a jumbled mess trying to make the real 616 viable again with added OML, etc. I’d much rather Battleworld in the state it was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I don't think they really needed to keep Battle World around, but they should have kept some more stuff from Secret Wars, and went about keeping the stuff they did differently.

Some of titles should have become ongoings in bigger ways. Weirdworld was great, but post-Secret Wars Weirdworld sucked. X-Men '92 should have just been the main X-Men comic; being out-of-continuity was probably the thing that killed that comic, because comic fans are weird and out-of-continuity comics aren't "important". There were some people that were brought on during Secret Wars that should have been kept around for new titles post-Secret Wars, but Marvel seemingly doesn't know how to use an event like that and didn't. The weirdest thing about Secret Wars it it was sold as being this thing that would shake things up, but it went right back to business as usual once it ended, and Marvel did nothing to push the very few good titles they had coming out of it.
    And that’s what bothered me about ANAD. It was more of the same old 616 when we just had this refreshing reinvention of the super heroes in Secret Wars. Dark Reign was something similar to Secret Wars, and that lasted 18 months, where the whole status quo was turned upside down. What Battleworld did was take the reader out of 616 continuity, and to just flush that away with Reed Richards, just fell flat.