Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legacy Invincible Iron Man #594 Spoilers

I just wonder what Riri Williams comes across as in her own book here? She has rockets fired at her and she thinks it’s funny? Riri doesn’t seem to have any immersion in her own book, much like Miles Morales. I’m beginning to wonder if Bendis is aiming to make Riri and Miles a couple, the way they have a similar lack of intensity. But put them on a team and they blossom, because they both, Iron Heart and Spider-Man, then have life and death decisions to make or the team dies, so then responsibility kicks in, but not in their own books. I’m thinking of Riri’s name, Iron Heart. Is Bendis going to make her heart fail and she has to make a synthetic heart to replace her biological heart?

Spoilers

Not much happens here. Tony Starks mum bashes up the big mouth on the board for not going out to find where Tony’s body was taken. Instead, the scumbag board member hires an X-Man to attack Riri to take her Armor off her, by using cars as weapons, then flying vehicles which shoot deadly rockets at Riri who refuses to part with her Armor. All this is taken in a very jovial mood by Riri, when she should be scared to death she is being killed here.

Nevertheless, because MJ and Tony’s mum physically attack the X-Man, Hijack, he looses concentration and all the attacking vehicles collapse, and it’s the boards own fault for equipment damage because they hired the fool.

It ends with Amanda feeling unusually connected to who is in the suit from #593, as she feels Tony is alive.

Oh, and there is a little tif with Dr Doom and the escapees who ambush Doom. Who would believe that? They even remove Dooms face plate and they are jealous Doom is so handsome. But Doom escapes them. He has to escape them?

End of Spoilers

I could really see Miles and Riri hook up one day. Teenagers nowadays are so vague, uninterested, and they mumble. These two are MFEO.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Bendis is leaving both books in May, with Spider-Man #240 and Invincible Iron Man #600. So it's unlikely they'll be paired up. Even if Riri joins Miles on the Champions, it's whoever takes over his solo who will decide who he dates. Riri's future isn't certain at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Not much happens here.
    You could just have ever review of a Bendis Iron Man book be that. At least MJ actually did something for once. I've started going from completely indifferent to starting to dislike the new mom character.

At this point I just feel bad for Doom and can't wait to read about him in 2 in 1.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The fight with Hijack went as anyone capable of using their brain would expect but it got dragged out.
    The Iron Doom part was passable; the baddies are planning to take over Latveria next.
    The best part was the last page with the 17-year old kid building her own armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    You could just have ever review of a Bendis Iron Man book be that. At least MJ actually did something for once. I've started going from completely indifferent to starting to dislike the new mom character.
    "Face it Tiger...you got maced" .

I know we're supposed to sympathize with the women in this issue, but some of their response to what's going on felt like really unnecessary assault and battery (on-top of probably all the other crimes they're technically committing in this issue).

BANNED

bendis writing doom to flee from b list villains without even attempting to use magic is consistent with him ignoring even his own continuity. in contrast his defenders title is pretty decent even if he craps over the spider books characters.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    bendis writing doom to flee from b list villains without even attempting to use magic is consistent with him ignoring even his own continuity. in contrast his defenders title is pretty decent even if he craps over the spider books characters.
    Poor Hammerhead .

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Poor Hammerhead .
    Now he's [s] Hammerdead [/s]

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yeah, Amanda whateverhername has all the earmarks of a writer's pet here. In order to give her some credibility she brags about bashing Keith Moon (who died in 1978 in the RW) with her guitar and being present at Band Aid. Here's hoping the next Iron Man writer consigns her to oblivion. Adding her to Stark's back story hasn't been worth the effort and writers should learn when to leave well enough alone.

The interlude with Doom and the Raft escapees looks like something Bendis and Maleev had already developed for an issue of Infamous Iron Man. I am beginning to suspect that Infamous Iron Man was supposed to be an ongoing until Bendis started making plans to switch to DC. Or at least it may have had one more arc before the series was planned to end. These pages with the Wrecker were possibly going to be in the following arc which may have been planned to be Victor dealing with the Wrecker and his gang.

The confrontation is mostly with a lot of the criminals that Infamous Doom turned over to SHIELD and then placed in Rykers. A lot of them are former members of the Hood's gang he assembled back in Bendis's New Avengers run. But there is one interesting exception and that is the on called Centurius. He nullifies Doom's power to teleport and then is ticked off because Doom has forgotten him. So have just about all the readers. Centurius had also been mostly wallpaper in the Hood's gang but he really goes as far back as Jim Steranko's Agent of Shield #2 . He was a Bond like villain in that he had his own island with a volcano and a secret base. His origin is worth bring up. He's a Nobel prize winner from the 1930's named Dr. Noah Black who's theories were scorned. He found a way to maintain his youthful appearance by the time Fury encounters him many years later.

[

He was briefly recruited for the Thunderbolts back in issue #156-157. Then he ends up being mostly just an uncredited member in the Hood's gang. His wiki lists several appearances but IMO it was hard to distinguish because he mostly has no dialogue and he's not identified even with a caption. After an impressive debut years ago, he's relegated to being part of a gang with far inferior intellects and saying "Oh snap" It's no wonder Doom has forgotten him if he's come down so far. Centurius is so far above the remnants of the Hood's gang it's ridiculous yet Bendis made him indistinquishable from the rest. I didn't even know he was part of this gang and IIRC this is the first time his name has come up on panel in years.

It's also beyond ridiculous that Doom has to retreat from the likes of the Wrecker and the rest of the escapees when it wasn't that long ago that he rounded up the same bunch single-handed.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-24-2017 at 09:27 PM.

The Hood's gang was poorly crafted, to begin with. You have to ignore the individual motives of a lot of characters to make it work. Wizard's ego wouldn't allow him to answer to someone like Parker Robbins. Hood has nothing to offer Living Laser. Hammerhead is a mob boss. Wtf is he doing there? Crossfire has his own mutually exclusive agenda. The in-story explanation is that they were cowed into submission when the Hood shot the Owl. But half of them are bulletproof. I bet that the artist was given a list of random villain names to include; without consideration for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, Amanda whateverhername has all the earmarks of a writer's pet here. In order to give her some credibility she brags about bashing Keith Moon (who died in 1978 in the RW) with her guitar and being present at Band Aid. Here's hoping the next Iron Man writer consigns her to oblivion. Adding her to Stark's back story hasn't been worth the effort and writers should learn when to leave well enough alone.

The interlude with Doom and the Raft escapees looks like something Bendis and Maleev had already developed for an issue of Infamous Iron Man. I am beginning to suspect that Infamous Iron Man was supposed to be an ongoing until Bendis started making plans to switch to DC. Or at least it may have had one more arc before the series was planned to end. These pages with the Wrecker were possibly going to be in the following arc which may have been planned to be Victor dealing with the Wrecker and his gang.

The confrontation is mostly with a lot of the criminals that Infamous Doom turned over to SHIELD and then placed in Rykers. A lot of them are former members of the Hood's gang he assembled back in Bendis's New Avengers run. But there is one interesting exception and that is the on called Centurius. He nullifies Doom's power to teleport and then is ticked off because Doom has forgotten him. So have just about all the readers. Centurius had also been mostly wallpaper in the Hood's gang but he really goes as far back as Jim Steranko's Agent of Shield #2 . He was a Bond like villain in that he had his own island with a volcano and a secret base. His origin is worth bring up. He's a Nobel prize winner from the 1930's named Dr. Noah Black who's theories were scorned. He found a way to maintain his youthful appearance by the time Fury encounters him many years later.

[

He was briefly recruited for the Thunderbolts back in issue #156-157. Then he ends up being mostly just an uncredited member in the Hood's gang. His wiki lists several appearances but IMO it was hard to distinguish because he mostly has no dialogue and he's not identified even with a caption. After an impressive debut years ago, he's relegated to being part of a gang with far inferior intellects and saying "Oh snap" It's no wonder Doom has forgotten him if he's come down so far. Centurius is so bar above the remnants of the Hood's gang it's ridiculous yet Bendis made him indistinquishable from the rest. I didn't even know he was part of this gang and IIRC this is the first time his name has come up on panel in years.

It's also beyond ridiculous that Doom has to retreat from the likes of the Wrecker and the rest of the escapees when it wasn't that long ago that he rounded up the same bunch single-handed.
    Loved the Steranko sequences, thanks.

So Centurius is a Reed Richards level genius, and that’s how he nullifies Dooms Telepoting ability? It may have scared the pants off Doom knowing Noah Black thinks on a level outside the box. Blacks Valhalla reminds me of Cable’s Island Utopia, Paradise, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Blacks technology could have Cable’s intimidation factor. You may be on to something suggesting the Doom/Raftee convicts being an Infamous Iron Man arc as well. I like the similarity to the Hood Gang you suggest also.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    And Doom using time travel. Don’t forget time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Face it Tiger...you got maced" .

I know we're supposed to sympathize with the women in this issue, but some of their response to what's going on felt like really unnecessary assault and battery (on-top of probably all the other crimes they're technically committing in this issue).
    I was a bit shocked that Amanda went on the attack in the board room, instead of get intimidated by the takeover. She’s just an aging singer after all. It also seems odd Stark Industries, or whatever it’s called now, didn’t have Security details. Just hiring Hijack was a pretty threadbare approach to regaining the Riri Williams Ironheart Armor.

I’m not sure I see the women, led by Amanda, as being illegally violent, because it was a pretty violent takeover bid against the legal administration of the company. Amanda and MJ were not invited to a company meeting to vote on any hostile takeover, so this was a pretty unconventional resolution by the board to do this behind Amanda’s back. I think the board got what they deserved in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I was a bit shocked that Amanda went on the attack in the board room, instead of get intimidated by the takeover. She’s just an aging singer after all. It also seems odd Stark Industries, or whatever it’s called now, didn’t have Security details. Just hiring Hijack was a pretty threadbare approach to regaining the Riri Williams Ironheart Armor.

I’m not sure I see the women, led by Amanda, as being illegally violent, because it was a pretty violent takeover bid against the legal administration of the company. Amanda and MJ were not invited to a company meeting to vote on any hostile takeover, so this was a pretty unconventional resolution by the board to do this behind Amanda’s back. I think the board got what they deserved in my opinion.
    I dunno, assault and battery is assault and battery, especially for non-Superheroes dealing with corporate issues, and I'm not sure if they have much of a legal standpoint to stand against it.

Like, something like MJ socking Nick Katzenberg is satisfying, but this just came across as a tad excessive. And that dialogue...