Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Doesn't Bruce celebrate Christmas........
    Or at least Xmas

Anyway his religion is like Nightwing being romani
    It doesn't matter and is not consistent

It hard to keep religion when you live Bruce does he been to hell and back
    He doesn't pray to god he takes action and makes his own miracles

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Because the subject threatened to derail another Bat thread that I was truly interested in (BatCat wedding planning)

Basically, this whole thing is a thread drift.
    Ah, well, OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I always assumed that Jacob Kane converted to his wife's religion.
    That was my assumption as well. I've seen a lot of people state that it is Kate's father that is Jewish, but I can't seem to find any references to conclusively determine whether or not it was Jacob or Gabrielle that was of Jewish decent. Can anyone tell where it has been stated?

Gabrielle's tombstone is seen in Detective Comics #975 is shown with the Star of David indicating that she was Jewish, but that doesn't say whether or not she has always been.
    Martha Kane has always been shown as having a cross on her tombstone but that is not conclusive either as she could have converted when she married Thomas Wayne.
    However, I haven't found anything to suggest that the Kane's are Jewish. In the DC Rebirth Holiday Special we learned that he and Kate had been going to a special diner in Gotham every year where Jake told Kate the story of Hanukkah. But, since we know that Gabrielle was Jewish that could easily just have been him carrying on the tradition to honor his dead wife.
    Forgot to mention the Menorah seen at Thomas and Martha’s funeral in Detective Comics #939. This seems to be the only time I've seen it suggested that the Kane's might be the ones that were Jewish.
    Last edited by Tenzel Kim; 09-23-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsgirl View Post
    It seems like Bruce likes The Clash.

Who doesn't love the Clash?

I find it funny that Alfred is against it when he himself is British and would probably be in his 20-30s when the music was coming out with the ever shifting time scale.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Bruce has lost faith after his parents died.

He's considered Jewish by Jewish rule from his mother's side of the family but was raised in some variation of Christian/Catholic from his father's side and so celebrate Christmas.

Bruce's enthusiasm in celebrating Christmas also depends on the occasion, such as when they're doing Christmas issue, when it's targeted at kids or when he's particularly cranky. He does give presents and say greetings but It's Alfred or Sasha Bordeaux who hangs the tree regardless he likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I find it funny that Alfred is against it when he himself is British and would probably be in his 20-30s when the music was coming out with the ever shifting time scale.
    He was also in the military. At the time, punk rock and the armed forces didn't exactly mix.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    He was also in the military. At the time, punk rock and the armed forces didn't exactly mix.
    How so? The few military guys I know love rock music, especially punk.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

How so? The few military guys I know love rock music, especially punk.
    Nowadays, sure. But in the 60s and 70s? Not so much.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Nowadays, sure. But in the 60s and 70s? Not so much.
    The Clash was really popular in '79 and the 80s.

Extraordinary Member

Thats really dependents on which origin story is canon at the time. Some times he was in the military, sometimes he was a spy sometimes he was neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Bruce has lost faith after his parents died.

He's considered Jewish by Jewish rule from his mother's side of the family but was raised in some variation of Christian/Catholic from his father's side and so celebrate Christmas.
    I know that Bruce isn't practicing any religion and that if his mother is Jewish then he'd be Jewish by Jewish rule. My question was, where has it been conclusively stated that Martha and the Kanes were Jewish? We known that Batwoman is Jewish, and we've seen the Star of David on her mother's grave, but I don't recall having seen anything to indicate that her father was of Jewish decent. There was the Menorah seen at Thomas and Martha’s funeral in Detective Comics #939 but that is the only time I recall having seen a Jewish symbol associated with Martha, but her tombstone always carries a cross suggesting that she was Christian.

BANNED

yes it did.

BANNED

Batman #53 (?) had him telling a story to the jury about his dad taking him to Church.

So...depends on the writer?

The Clash was really popular in '79 and the 80s.
    I know that. But I find it extremely hard to believe that punk music was popular with anyone in the military during that time, given its anti-authority tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thats really dependents on which origin story is canon at the time. Some times he was in the military, sometimes he was a spy sometimes he was neither.
    And currently, he was in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    yes it did.
    How? That goes against everything I know about the general attitudes toward punk music at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Batman #53 (?) had him telling a story to the jury about his dad taking him to Church.

So...depends on the writer?
    Being raised Christian does not mean one isn't Jewish. Both can be true.
    Last edited by Caivu; 09-24-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    My question was, where has it been conclusively stated that Martha and the Kanes were Jewish?
    There was the Menorah seen at Thomas and Martha’s funeral in Detective Comics #939 but that is the only time I recall having seen a Jewish symbol associated with Martha, but her tombstone always carries a cross suggesting that she was Christian.
    I think you answered your own question.