Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Well I don't know about the character being Jewish but David Mazouz who plays Bruce on Gotham is Jewish.

And Gal Gadot, who is the current Wonder Woman is Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Well I don't know about the character being Jewish but David Mazouz who plays Bruce on Gotham is Jewish.

And Gal Gadot, who is the current Wonder Woman is Jewish.
    Well, Gal Gadot is Israeli, but Diana has always been directly connected to the Greek Pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    He is definitely not interested in any sort of religion. I usually say someone belongs to a religion if such a person accepts its tenets and practices its teachings. That would be the strict definition.

Then there are those who are so from family. Who are identified as belonging to that religion simply because they have parents from such a religion. They may practice something but may not accept its tenets. Can you call them as belonging to the religion? In a way yes. In a way no.

For instance my parents are Hindus. If some person wants to know which religion i belong to, in an official capacity i say i am 'Hindu'. At the personal level i don't consider myself a Hindu. Just as Christianity is based on the Bible, 'Hinduism' is based on 'Vedic Literature'. An umbrella term encompassing lots of books. While people and 99.9 percent 'Hindu' religious leaders use that term, in none of the books the word 'Hindu' is used. Its a word given by the people from the Arab countries. During the early medieval period the Indian subcontinent was under invasion by people from this area. India has a river to its North-West region named Indus.

Those who invaded the land did so from its North-Western side. From their viewpoint India is a country to the East of the Indus river.

Indus was earlier called 'Sindhu' river. They used to pronounce the river as 'Hindu' and the country to its East as 'Hindustan'. 'Stan' is a word meaning land. So 'Hindustan' was a word to indicate the land to the East of the Indus river and the people who live in this area were designated 'Hindu'.

So, i can't call myself Hindu. Its a name given by someone else while the word itself has no presence in the books themselves. It would be like saying i belong to 'Hudson' religion or 'Thames' religion.

At the same time i am more 'Hindu' then those who say they are 'Hindus'. I read those Vedic literatures. I cherish them and try to practice them. Religion in my opinion is a rubber stamp. A designation to divide people. I find all these religions in their core tenets are the same. There really is no 'Christianity' or 'Islam' or 'Buddhisim' and there definitely is no 'Hinduism'. They are all the same thing with each one focusing more on one aspect over the other. The leaders like Christ, Mohammed, Buddha and others essentially taught the same thing but under different circumstances to a different audience. So the differences are simply superficial.

Coming back to my family. My mother and father are both 'Hindus'. My mother has faith in many teachings of 'Hinduism' (Notice that i use brackets). She practices many teachings with faith. My father on the other hand does practice something but his faith is not as strong as the mother. Both are 'Hindus'. Yet i have faith which is based on reading and understanding the books while i try to practice them. I am not one. But in the eyes of society and even my parents i am one. A term which i consider meaningless and derogatory.

As you can see one's religion is a complicated subject. I did not know about Jewish. Assam gave a cool info that if the mother is Jewish the child is considered as Jewish too. So, it depends on how he is raised and how society sees him. Even then it would be more a designation. I don't think that on the personal level he calls himself Jewish. Unless some writer addresses this that is.
    Dang, that was a long and informative post! Thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, Gal Gadot is Israeli, but Diana has always been directly connected to the Greek Pantheon.
    Yes Gal Gadot is Israeli. She was born in Rosh Ha'ayin. She and her family is Jewish and I've watched her interviews where she is speaking Hebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Dang, that was a long and informative post! Thank you for sharing
    You are welcome!

Extraordinary Member

Based on this information, he is Jewish by strict orthodox Jewish standards. But as had been said, he doesn't seem to identify with either the religion or the people, so it has little bearing on his character.

So it's a minor detail of current canon unless they decide to play it up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Except, once again: fictional characters owned by corporations who have their histories erased or altered on a regular basis.

If DC doesn't come out and have Bruce Wayne ever explicitly say on-panel that he is Jewish, then he is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Meh, just don't expect any aspect of his so-called "Jewish" heritage to be explicitly referenced by DC.

If it stays unexpressed then it, for all intents and purposes, does not exist.
    Both of these. I'd rather Bruce not have ANY touch of ANY religion. Being related to nothing makes him more identifiable for different groups.

Selina and Bruce don't need to get married in any religious ceremony. It could be simply civil, or get married in the desert by Talia.

I vote Agnostic...

Extraordinary Member

Even if he is ethnically Jewish, it seems based on published comics that he is still christian (at least on paper). And tends to follow christian traditions (there are for example lots of Batman Christmas stories and no Hanukkah stories).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Even if he is ethnically Jewish, it seems based on published comics that he is still christian (at least on paper). And tends to follow christian traditions (there are for example lots of Batman Christmas stories and no Hanukkah stories).
    That seems to be what DC is doing. His parents could have raised him with both religions, neither or just one. Unless Bruce expressed an interest I don't think Alfred would bother continuing raising him under either religion. Maybe neither Martha or Thomas were practically religious but just made a big deal about Christmas. Personally I don't think Bruce believes in God so he wouldn't identify with either.

I hope that one wedding happens at the church. Hollywood movies and shows are very popular around the world. And the church wedding, ending with the kiss is considered very romantic. I love the wedding between Superman and Lois Lane. The image is very fondly remembered by the Superman fans around the world.

I would love something like this.

I would love it if they wed in the Jewish way too. It would be nice of Bruce to honor his mother. I don't know if someone is born Jewish they are supposed to be wed in the Jewish manner. If its compulsory let there be both kinds of weddings. If not then also it shall be of both kinds. As a mark of respect to his mother. Though i did not know that her mother Martha was Jewish.

And keep away from Talia officiating the wedding. Taken that way aren't Bruce and Talia married even now? Weren't they married by Ra's Al Ghul? (Am i wrong?) And it would be very unsatisfying without the words 'You may now kiss the bride'. Let the wedding be worth remembering for the fans.

Something like this would be perfect.

Though dreamy.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-27-2017 at 03:01 AM.

A part of this debate is mired in the fact that you can be religiously Jewish without being genetically Jewish.

I've know Jewish persons who qualify both ways, and some who have converted, actually a number of rather pale European types but also some black folks too. I also know Jewish by birth who could care less about any of that.

It's only important if the story makes it important. Otherwise it is backstory, explicit or not.

Mighty Member

Who knows what his religion was

I always assumed Bruce was Presbyterian.

An illuminating comment. Thanks.