Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Hey, Shalla!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    That cover is a reproduction of the black and white "Ghost Talk Spooken Here" illustration by Barks that appeared on the inside front cover of Uncle Scrooge #56.

https://www.comics.org/issue/19050/#142666

A colorized version of that drawing was later used as the cover for the 1987 series called Walt Disney's Uncles Scrooge Adventures, issue #21 (this comic includes a reprint of US #56's ghost story).

https://www.comics.org/issue/47917/

Great cover!
    Thanks for that info! I was pretty sure I knew all the classic Barks covers, so them using an inside illustration threw me for a loop.

And congrats on your win.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Way to go, Shalla Bal!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Congrats Shalla! That was one spooky Halloween cover.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-01-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Iron Maiden for the reasons Kirby101 gave. And because it was inked by Bill Everett iirc (And because I swore to print it on a T-shirt a few years ago and never made it... )

Édit : Everett, yes. And a T-shirt in b&w...

Thanks for sharing this Abe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This is completely unexpected! Before I went to bed last night, I checked the ongoing totals and figured I was not in the running. Thanks to those who voted for that cover, I was trying to include Halloween into the spooky cover and I'm glad you liked it. Also thanks to all those who participate and make this a wonderful contest, a bit of fun in this crazy world.

I have some things to attend to, so I will be putting up a new contest later on today, probably in about 4 or 5 hours from now.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 11-01-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Thanks for that info! I was pretty sure I knew all the classic Barks covers, so them using an inside illustration threw me for a loop.

And congrats on your win.
    Thank you

And I was curious about that cover's origins too, so I enjoyed researching it. Here is a repro of the B&W illo from the inside cover of US #56 (1965).

Congratulations to Shalla Bal for a wonderful cover getting into the season. It properly shows us the effect on kids when adults out-do them on activities designed for them. Seriously, were these kids even trying to get costumes?

As to what I've learned this week, the Captain has made his first foray into the world of Carl Barks. It's puzzling how prepared I supposedly am for how knowledgeable CBR folks are about these comics and am still surprised by the level of detail in your scholarship. You know stuff.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Once again I missed the voting because I was watching TV after the trick or treaters stopped coming and then dozed off. I woke up too late to vote.

Thanks for posting Kirby's uncolored cover from Chamber of Darkness #5, Abe! I remember for some reason it came up in the Doom appreciation thread, when we went a bit off topic as we sometimes do.

Thanks to everyone who voted for that cover. I love the way Kirby was so good at giving the illusion of a 3D quality to his work.

Most of all, Congratulations Shalla Bal

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this Abe.
    You're welcome. It's gorgeous indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Once again I missed the voting because I was watching TV after the trick or treaters stopped coming and then dozed off. I woke up too late to vote.

Thanks for posting Kirby's uncolored cover from Chamber of Darkness #5, Abe! I remember for some reason it came up in the Doom appreciation thread, when we went a bit off topic as we sometimes do.

Thanks to everyone who voted for that cover. I love the way Kirby was so good at giving the illusion of a 3D quality to his work.

Most of all, Congratulations Shalla Bal
    I don't remember what was the point in the Doom thread - obviously something about Kirby's horror (perhaps even Wrightson's Frankenstein was involved : we did that too! ). But, as Everett inked it I think that Reviresco was a part of the discussion - I miss her so much !
    Last edited by Abe; 11-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Congrats Shalla Bal!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Congrats Shalla Walla Balla!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    You're welcome. It's gorgeous indeed

I don't remember what was the point in the Doom thread - obviously something about Kirby's horror (perhaps even Wrightson's Frankenstein was involved : we did that too! ). But, as Everett inked it I think that Reviresco was a part of the discussion - I miss her so much !
    Me too

Incredible Member

Congratulations
    Shalla Bal!

/╲/\(ºº◡ºº)/\╱╲旦~

"Darkness falls across the land
    The midnight hour is close at hand
    Creatures crawl in search of blood
    To terrorize y'all's neighborhood
    And whosoever shall be found
    Without the soul for getting down
    Must stand and face the hounds of hell
    And rot inside a corpse's shell

/|^;◡;^/|

The foulest stench is in the air
    The funk of forty thousand years
    And grizzly ghouls from every tomb
    Are closing in to seal your doom
    And though you fight to stay alive
    Your body starts to shiver
    For no mere mortal can resist
    The evil of the thriller!"

^v^{;,,;}^v^

I couldn't vote yesterday due to a personal emergency, but I probably would've voted for either Chicken Pocket's Dazzler, The Celtic Batman's Casper or LordMikel's Klarion covers.

And thanks for the vote Paul, wherever you are...

Astonishing Member

Congrats Shalla Bal.