Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alan Moore’s Providence

It’s in comixology sale. And very tempted to buy.

But if anybody has read already, very interested in views...I suppose I’m getting too cautious to cracking open the wallet unless on a certain “winner”!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It’s in comixology sale. And very tempted to buy.

But if anybody has read already, very interested in views...I suppose I’m getting too cautious to cracking open the wallet unless on a certain “winner”!
    It's 100% a winner. It's the most rigorous work from Alan Moore since probably Promethea wrapped up. He put everything he had into making this great, and he succeeded.

What Watchmen did for Superheroes, Providence did for Lovecraftian Horror.

I'm not a horror fan, but this was great.

Providence is absolutely excellent and a very strong and satisfying ending to his Lovecraftian trilogy.

Thanks. The two of you have raised probability of purchase from 70/80 percent to 100 percent.

Quite busy for once...so it will be a few weeks till I read it..but once I have, will post brief thoughts on it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Thanks. The two of you have raised probability of purchase from 70/80 percent to 100 percent.

Quite busy for once...so it will be a few weeks till I read it..but once I have, will post brief thoughts on it.
    If you go through the backmatter (and you should 100% go through the backmatter) expect it to take a long while to finish (relative to most comics, anyway). Walls and walls of text.

Just to echo thats its pretty great. One of the best things he's done in recent years.
    Though it absolutely benefits from multiple readings.

I gave it 5 or 6 issues......it’s utter dreck. The text pieces are unreadable..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I gave it 5 or 6 issues......it’s utter dreck. The text pieces are unreadable..
    Oh dear..just bought it a couple of hours ago.

I’ve give a report when I get round to reading it, but as I mentioned before, got a ton of reading material on hand just now.

I don’t think I’ve read any “utter dreck” from Alan M before...but I must admit that more than any other of my favourite writers I find my enjoyment varies enormously, from stuff I think “wow” to stuff I find “just don’t get that”.

Maybe utter dreck was a little harsh, but the series is pretty average. I soon gave up on it. Good luck.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    Maybe utter dreck was a little harsh, but the series is pretty average. I soon gave up on it. Good luck.
    Cheers. Happy to give it a “good go”, of course, but like you I never battle on to bitter end if I’m really not enjoying something.

I think of the Alan Moore stuff I’ve tried before the only one I abandoned before end was Promethea...hopefully Providence won’t be second.

BANNED

Neonomicon was absolute garbage and made me question who Alan Moore was as a human being. If Providence is in some way connected to that you'd have to pay me to read it

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Neonomicon was absolute garbage and made me question who Alan Moore was as a human being. If Providence is in some way connected to that you'd have to pay me to read it
    I’ve not read Neonomicon, but I see from “blurb” that Providence is related, being described as both a prequel and sequel.

Always fairly wary about drawing conclusions about artists from their works. (As usual some exceptions to that “general rule”). In this case I understand Alan Moore was exploring Lovecraftian fiction, difficult to see how that could be done without working through some offbeat notions.

Intrigued by your comments (and DavidRA’s) I read first issue last night.

I actually enjoyed it! But we all know these things are just about completely subjective. It struck me that there was a lot more story content than typical modern Marvel or DC superhero comic. And the writer and artist worked well together to convey a good sense of period and personalities of main characters.

Certainly impressed by artwork, not come across anything by Jacen Burrows before.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-31-2017 at 11:58 PM.

BANNED

I'd say having a woman be raped by a bunch of people then a monster, then pissed on by said monster who she then falls in love with is more of a gross fetish fantasy from a crazy person rather than an offbeat notion

BANNED

Default Alan Moore's Providence

what is the general consensus on this series?

Attached Images Attached Images

As I said in an earlier thread...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    How the hell does Alan Moore know all about my drinking locations? As I've said,

I've gone drinking with people who live on North Orange Road, Athol.

And now we have...

There's the Strange Brew Tavern (recommended, BTW) in Manchester and Northeast Delta Dental Stadium for Fishercats games.
    I used to work in Boston's Back Bay and there are few Copley Square bars I haven't hit.
    And Providence? Well, the less said about where I drank there, the better.