Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

So my points:

First: none of the Hulk movies are MCU. There's a reason Banner was recast as well as the hulk not appearing in a sequel yet despite mass appeal.

Second: to me, Age of Ultron was the low point. I wasn't thrilled when they announced it, and it ended up working about as well as I expected it to... poorly. It really was just ... bad.

As for Dr. Strange ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This scene alone is full of tension...

...and it doesn't even have anything to do with magic or superheroics.
    That scene is almost a scene for scene knock-off of House MD, only _any one_ of the times Hugh Laurie limped down that hallway week after week was executed better than that scene. It was almost cringe worthy.

I know, none of this will change your mind. But calling a movie like Doctor Strange boring... yeah, I'd appreciate some valid(or any) arguments. I'll leave this here.
    The problem with Strange was that it was whole unoriginal and by the books. It felt studio manufactured, completely devoid of any kind of unique charm. Just ... sterile. If not for Tilda Swinton (who fricken nailed her role), the show would have been bad instead of forgettable.

Oh and that was an awful Dormammu, especially if we contrast it against how good Surtur looks in the trailers.

I was excited for Dr Strange, I thought the casting was perfect. But at the end of the day ... I have _zero_ desire to see it again. Sorry I have to agree: forgettable and boring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    doesn't mean anything when his teammates continued to treat him as if he were an adorable infant.
    Sure it does.

I found the first one to be more effective. they were all underdogs and had a reason to work one another, in the first. that was the appeal, for me. they all seemed to be off on their own missions in the sequel. and Gamora is so unlikable that I couldn't help but, simultaneously, root for her sister and wish that the two of them were not in the movie. and I'm not sure where Yondu's sudden sensitivity came from.

oh and they relied too heavily on Drax's laughter. it began to make me uncomfortable.
    That quote was to a whole different person about Age of Ultron being better than Marvel's The Avengers.

I like the first GotG more. The second movie felt a little less cohesive, it seemed like they tried playing up Drax being funny way too much here, like there were more interesting things that could have been done, and that they over explain some thing they didn't need to.

But the Groot thing you're talking about isn't even really a problem, and the movie seems to be in the exact same boat as you when in comes to Groot. I just found your Groot comment to be weird when it's something that's actual addressed in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    So my points:

First: none of the Hulk movies are MCU. There's a reason Banner was recast as well as the hulk not appearing in a sequel yet despite mass appeal.

Second: to me, Age of Ultron was the low point. I wasn't thrilled when they announced it, and it ended up working about as well as I expected it to... poorly. It really was just ... bad.

As for Dr. Strange ...

That scene is almost a scene for scene knock-off of House MD, only _any one_ of the times Hugh Laurie limped down that hallway week after week was executed better than that scene. It was almost cringe worthy.

The problem with Strange was that it was whole unoriginal and by the books. It felt studio manufactured, completely devoid of any kind of unique charm. Just ... sterile. If not for Tilda Swinton (who fricken nailed her role), the show would have been bad instead of forgettable.

Oh and that was an awful Dormammu, especially if we contrast it against how good Surtur looks in the trailers.

I was excited for Dr Strange, I thought the casting was perfect. But at the end of the day ... I have _zero_ desire to see it again. Sorry I have to agree: forgettable and boring.
    The Incredible Hulk flat out references Captain America and RDJ's Tony cameos at the end. And by your logic the following Iron Man movies aren't MCU because of Rhodey being recast. Hulk not getting a sequel is also due to rights issues with Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Incredible Hulk flat out references Captain America and RDJ's Tony cameos at the end. And by your logic the following Iron Man movies aren't MCU because of Rhodey being recast. Hulk not getting a sequel is also due to rights issues with Universal.
    Nothing to do with my " by my logic". It's simply a fact. You touched on the reason why though: Hulk rights are owned by Universal. Therefore, by that FACT, any solo Hulk movie is done by Universal Pictures and thus not (wait for it), by the MCU.

BANNED

So my points:

As for Dr. Strange ...

That first one is wrong. The Incredible Hulk is very clearly an MCU film. Not only was it talked about as being one before any of these movies even came out and Marvel was talking about their plans leading up to The Avengers, but Iron Man is in it, and William Hurt as Thunderbolt comes from that movie.

Tilda Swinton should have been Strange, ol' Coverbun was boring in that roll, and he isn't as good as her anyways. Marvel wanted to shake thing up they should have cast her as Strange. That or they should have cast some weird actor. Remember listening to NPR some years back now, and I heard some actor (think he was on with his sister) I don't know on there, and he had the most peculiar voice. Should have gotten him. You aren't going to get Vincent Price, but if they were smart they would have tried using that roll to create a new one. Think he was from the Midwest like Price too.

BANNED

Nothing to do with my " by my logic". It's simply a fact. You touched on the reason why though: Hulk rights are owned by Universal. Therefore, by that FACT, any solo Hulk movie is done by Universal Pictures and thus not (wait for it), by the MCU.
    That doesn't matter. It's just why Disney isn't paying them any more money to make solo Hulk movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    That doesn't matter. It's just why Disney isn't paying them any more money to make solo Hulk movies.
    ...that's not how it worked ... at all?

Until IronMan, Marvel Studios didn't produce _any_ of it's own films. It licensed them out to other studios to produce. In the case of the Incredible Hulk, Universal didn't even need that, they jut needed a movie out to retain distribution rights. Iron man was literally the first self-financed movie and thus the beginning of the MCU proper. They certainly didn't have the money to produce two movies in the same year (2008 x2? Not back then). What happened at the end of the Incredible Hulk was simply and advertising stunt that went very very right. They basically bought back the movie rights at a very good time, and plugged in an advertisement in the end to help sell the planned continuity, using it to promote their new (and very risky) Marvel launch with Iron Man. Heck, most Hollywood wouldn't TOUCH Robert Downy Jr. at that time.

Bottom line is they bought rights back right as the movie was releasing to allow Universal to retain distribution ... cause the dang movie was already done. Incredible Hulk was _NOT_ an MCU film. It was Universal top to bottom, with a late marvel adjustment to shoe horn it in.

IMO, the early stuff produced by Paramount and other studios was better. The first Iron Man and Incredible Hulk are probably what I'd classify as my favorites. Once the Disney purchase happened, it feels like everything became all jokes everyday. Just look at Thor: Ragnarok. That shouldn't be funny. And somethings should be lighthearted without the constant jokes that aren't funny. Avengers: Age of Ultron would have been much better if Ultron wasn't a walking joke book. (Special effects got sloppy too.) And IMO, Tom Holland was horribly miscast as Peter Parker and the jokes written for him don't work. Maguire didn't quip enough, but everything Holland does is a bad joke or commentary, and it's just not funny. They've got to be clever. But, continuing on that, I'd say Spider-Man: Homecoming is the worst MCU movie to date because of that reason and the failed attempt to give it a high school feel. I also hated Iron Man 3 for another reason. Mandarin twist was awful and the PTSD storyline was just weird. Then, going back to the problem of injecting comedy into everything, there are some legitimately good MCU movies that I liked a lot, that I really think didn't need the constant jokes. And those movies are the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Ant-Man. If it were up to me, I would have followed DnA's run more closely except not use Groot as a running gag. I really don't like that the character has essentially been made into a joke. And the GOTG movies did that to nearly all of the characters, which is much more of a problem when it comes to the comics instantly mimicking what they do for synergy. Can't the two things just exist separately? Then there's the problem of most Marvel villains being uninteresting and not surviving the third act. And of course, I wish the MCU would more closely follow the books because of the synergy tendency. But yeah. Those are the major problems I have with the MCU.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Is Civil War an MCU movie?
    Because it has Thunderbolt Ross in it, and they didn't recast him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Is Civil War an MCU movie?
    Because it has Thunderbolt Ross in it, and they didn't recast him.
    It's also the second film produced by Marvel Studios (the first being Iron Man).....It has an official MCU handbook from Marvel Comics....Norton was recast due to problems between him and the producers..The film is referenced in Avengers by Banner himself....I mean, just by adding your point, Incredible Hulk IS an MCU film, regardless of some people thinking otherwise...Hell, it's even in the Phase One Blu Ray box set...

Oh, and I was talking about GrandEleven's "facts".....
    Last edited by GMiller; 10-31-2017 at 01:56 PM.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

So my points:

I think that you would have to include (despite the recasting) Incredible Hulk in the MCU, down to the Tony Stark cameo and that conversation with General Ross. That's his introduction to the movies.

It was very much intended to be part of the MCU. The recasting was at least in part because they couldn't persuade Ed Norton to return.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Incredible Member

My bottom 3 (in this order):

THOR: THE DARK WORLD
    DR. STRANGE
    AGE OF ULTRON (admittedly there was too much hype because of the first AVENGERS film but even if you take that away its still just a bad film)

Cheers.

James.

The Incredible Hulk is an MCU movie; the Powers That Be consider it as such (it was included in the boxed set of the Phase One films, had a sequel in the One-Shot shorts series), I don't think it's up for debate.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So my points:

"The Incredible Hulk is a 2008 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character the Hulk, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Universal Pictures. It is the second film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)."

They recasted Banner with Rufflao because Edward Norton didn't want to come back.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I haven't seen very many of the newer ones but I did think Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was...just so not for me.