Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Superior Spidey was a few months, PI was probably around a year.
    *in real time*
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Absolutely not. Undo everything that Slott has built up to this point? That would be a terrible decision. Peter is doing great right now. The ONLY thing Marvel needs to do is cancel out OMD somehow and put Peter and MJ back together and everything will be right again.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's never happened ever.

When fans complain that storylines "don't matter" and long for "permanent consequences," I think they don't understand how serialized comics work.

There's no change that's ever happened that either hasn't or that can't be undone.

You're talking about a story that never ends involving a character that will never age past a certain point. Every story matters but just not in the way they would for characters who age like real people, grow, experience actual change and eventually die. And this applies to every single superhero character, not just Spidey.
    By your logic then no story would ever matter. Fans shouldn't care about continuity or even the character himself. Spidey can become a space cadet and it would fine because it could be undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    By your logic then no story would ever matter. Fans shouldn't care about continuity or even the character himself. Spidey can become a space cadet and it would fine because it could be undone.
    The Death of Aunt May from ASM #400 is still a touching, emotional story that matters to me, even if it was undone eventually. The story still exists and can be appreciated on its own merit.

-Pav, who probably shouldn't even read this thread...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The Death of Aunt May from ASM #400 is still a touching, emotional story that matters to me, even if it was undone eventually. The story still exists and can be appreciated on its own merit.

And accepted even more so by it still being allowed to matter in a much more natural and logical continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Absolutely not. Undo everything that Slott has built up to this point? That would be a terrible decision
    I don't see a downside. How many stories outside of Superior can you objectively say were remotely memorable from this era?

Also, in-story Peter's not "doing great" at all.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And accepted even more so by it still being allowed to matter in a much more natural and logical continuity.

I don't see a downside. How many stories outside of Superior can you objectively say were remotely memorable from this era?

*Internal screaming*

Objectively memorable?!?!?!?!

-Pav, who can't stand it...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I consider the whole Slott run as great and they're all memorable. To me. Maybe not to you, and that's okay. But IMO, Slott has taken Peter from a working stiff doing work at the Bugle to a character who has completely tapped into his potential and created a global company on par with anything Stark has done.

In addition to that, he has grown in his ability to enhance his tech and thereby making him a much better hero, which is a natural progression for someone with his brilliance.

You want him going back to working at the Bugle? Wondering how he's going to pay his rent? The same villains kicking his butt because he doesn't adapt and improve? The 'old Parker luck'? If that is what you want, then yes, I'm sure you want a hard reboot.

Me? I prefer a character constantly moving forward, maturing and progressing into what he should be doing. You don't see Stark working at Radio Shack do you?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Talking about whether a story is “objectively” memorable is silly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Why can't Spider-man just go back to college?

He's still a young man (despite what some reads want to think). All you have to do is say "he left school for a while to find himself, or because of complications in his life, or whatever, and now he's back."
    Depends what your definition of ‘young’ is

This is a person who has been married, published a novel, been on trial for murder, fathered a child, got a doctorate and both ran and destroyed a global company. You can’t say that person is still 25.

If you do, look to his peer group. Are Harry or Flash or Betty written like early 20s people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    How many stories are actually "memorable" in the first place?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

It still brings tears to my eyes every time I read it

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    i think it's even moreso the idea that a bleeding memory can be objective that finally killed poor old pav

and my two cents as a creator: reboots are cleaner. i'd do what the cartoons do and start a whole new take every few years.

but, you can't reboot spidey without a universe wide reboot.

as a reader though, i can see why so many would want to hold on to decades long continuity. i guess it makes them feel like all those stories "matter" more and there's maybe some level of comfort in dipping back into the same well every month for 30 years.
    Last edited by boots; 10-28-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    It still brings tears to my eyes every time I read it
    still one of my all times
    troo fan or death

I dunno, As long as you ignore the clone saga and body swapping shenanigans of Superior Spider-Man I don't think his history is all that complicated.

If they DID do a hard reboot though, then they better hard reboot the entire Marvel Universe, not just Spider-Man. He's too connected to the other superhero characters to reset and not have any effect on their previous adventures together.

*Internal screaming*
    Dude, it's just comics, you need to chill or quit reading.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Let's see:

New Ways To Die, American Son, Shed, Grim Hunt, Big Time, No One Dies, Spider-Island, maybe Ends of the Earth, Dying Wish (though I guess that counts as Superior), Spider-Verse, Worldwide. And that's only in the main ASM. Outside of that, there's been stuff like Flash Thompson Venom, Scarlet Spider Kaine, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Gwen, etc. that have all been awesome as well.