Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Will we ever get Mara Jade back?

I feel like Mara is the biggest part of original EU canon still missing from new continuity right now, and I always thought she was too great a character not to have back, even if her connections to Luke would have to be removed or downplayed. Really if anything I feel like there should be a younger version of her running about in Rebels taking orders from Palpatine and maybe assisting Inferno Squadron or something. What do you guys think, is getting Mara back likely to happen or not?

BANNED

Maybe, if Dave Filoni ever makes a series set after Return Of The Jedi.

Given how much things have changed, I'm not sure that the character could be put back in without massive re-writes to the point that it might was well be a new character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Given how much things have changed, I'm not sure that the character could be put back in without massive re-writes to the point that it might was well be a new character.
    I can't see why, outside her ties to Luke. Her role as an Emperor's Hand during the Galactic Civil War could stay, though Lucasarts would need to decide how aware people were of Mara compared to Vader and the Grand Inquisitor. Forces of Destiny could particularly benefit from introducing both Mara Jade and Iden Veriso to wider audiences.

I think if they bring her back, they should ditch any connection with Luke. It won't end well for her by the time the sequel trilogy begins, IMO.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

It's possible that Luke had a wife of some kind in the new canon, unless he was following the same version of the order from the prequels. Then again, Ben, one of his students, obviously was attached to his parents.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

I don't see why they couldn't, even if it can't interfere with the movies you have a thirty year gap to play around in. That's enough time for it's own trilogy.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I can't see why, outside her ties to Luke. Her role as an Emperor's Hand during the Galactic Civil War could stay, though Lucasarts would need to decide how aware people were of Mara compared to Vader and the Grand Inquisitor.
    I'm not sure if the Emperor's Hand role fits into new canon; I think she'd wind up as an Inquisitor (Second Sister) or something like that (and the Rebels team did decide that the Inquisitors were killed off by the time of ANH). You could still do the smuggler thing and maybe make her an ex-Imperial agent, but I'm not sure she'd still be Force-sensitive to make that work (since she'd have been an Inquisitor then). And, dollars to donuts, her relationship with Luke, a pretty big piece of the character, would have to be modified (if Luke has/had a wife in new canon, I doubt the movies are going to pull a random non-canon character to play that role).

While I am making a lot of assumptions, I guess that my take on it. Given that I kind of think they would've introduced her by now if they were, I suspect she's going to remain Legends only, and personally, I'm fine with that. She's still a good character and the stories are still worth reading despite no longer being "real" (as real as fiction can be).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Forces of Destiny could particularly benefit from introducing both Mara Jade and Iden Veriso to wider audiences.
    While that could've worked, the series seems to be focusing primarily on the canon characters (which rules out Mara) and only heroic movie/TV show characters (which rules out Iden).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm not sure if the Emperor's Hand role fits into new canon; I think she'd wind up as an Inquisitor (Second Sister) or something like that (and the Rebels team did decide that the Inquisitors were killed off by the time of ANH).
    But the Inquisitors are also something they brought back from the old EU.

Vader and the Inquisitors were blunt force, the Emperor's Hand wassent in when subtlety was required.

As I'm still very confident Rey is going to be revealed as Luke's daughter, I also have a feeling they'll keep it vague as to who her mother is, maybe to leave it open on purpose for other media to reintroduce a new version of Mara to the canon. Considering Disney's multi-faceted media push of the new canon, I could see the movies accommodating something like this now.

Of course, reintroducing her elsewhere with absolutely no ties to Luke and the OT cast at all this time around is also an option, and admittedly more freeing of an option too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If it wasn't for the fact that they gave him a sort of love interest in Heir to the Jedi I would assume Lucasarts were prepping the reveal that Luke is gay or just not overly interested in romance, but the possibility they're debating whether to have Mara in canon as Rey's mother is possible too. I honestly think once Rebels ends that a Mara Jade series set shortly after ROTJ with flashbacks to her training under the Emperor and the like would be a great series.

Extraordinary Member

My ideal reveal for Rey's parentage centers on the idea of reintroducing Mara Jade as Rey's mother with an unknowing Luke as the father, and preferably marooned in First Order space after dropping off her daughter on Jakku to investigate reports of Imperial Remnants in the Unknown Regions. Mara Jade is *more* than just Luke's love interest, but that is the largest exceptionally marketable part of her character, and she's effectively an outrageously successful proof of concept for any Mama Skywalker archetype. I mean, she's a great character combination of spy, force user, smuggler, and noir-style anti-hero... But the way you'd convince a Disney executive that she's worth importing to the new continuity in total instead of just aping her for a variety of new characters would be the relationship with Luke.

Of course, it's really up to Kathleen Kennedy and the story group to decide whether they want to repackage and redeploy the character. To me, she feels like the best mix of proven concept + proven success + intriguing and easy set-up for Mama Skywalker, and I generally believe that any version of Mama Skywalker has to aim for Mara Jade's marketability and appeal.

If I got a chance to repackage her, I'd either have her be "Second Sister" of the Inquisitors, or be an expert Imperial Intelligence agent who starts her story off untrained in the Force. With the latter, you'd get to give her a story centered initially on acclimating to a post-Imperial Galaxy and eventually learns of the Force. With the latter, it'd be more about her learning to forsake the darkside. Either way, I think she'd be a perfect protagonist for an inter-trilogy series.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Meh, i like her story fine in the old EU and well, it's still there, available to read, so is there really a need for a new take on that character now? Is that continuity?

I don't think at all that Rey is Luke's daughter so i wouldn't count that as an option but i guess they could mention her as Luke deceased wife, why not? Or still alive and owning a pub on Coruscant named the dancing Ewok. (sounds like a decent start for a fanfiction lol)

I'm not the kinda guy who can't bear the thought of two different continuities to exist. There is this one now, in which even a long nosed patricide emo Sith wannabe can be a bad guy and there is that other one, in which the former hand of the emperor is married to Luke Skywalker, Chewie talks and Han Solo has a troublesome son. (oh wait...)

No problem.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Probably not, which is disappointing
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Amazing Member

Everyone thinks the big mystery is Rey's parents. What if Rey isn't even her real name. Maybe its ... Mara Jade? Look, they both wear that pull over hood with the goggles, they both run around in sleeveless shirts, Rey kinda has reddish brown hair. both are strong in the Force. It could be a thing. Just throwing it out there. Its a long shot but there are some similarities.