Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    Everyone thinks the big mystery is Rey's parents. What if Rey isn't even her real name. Maybe its ... Mara Jade? Look, they both wear that pull over hood with the goggles, they both run around in sleeveless shirts, Rey kinda has reddish brown hair. both are strong in the Force. It could be a thing. Just throwing it out there. Its a long shot but there are some similarities.
    She was born years after Palpatine died.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    She was born years after Palpatine died.
    In the Legacy cannon. We are living in the age of recycled goods. The Hand of Snoke? I’m just throwing this out there. It’s possible.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They really have not shown much of what Luke was doing between Jedi and Force Awakens in the new cannon so it is possible that Luke could have had a relationship with her. I don't think Rey is their kid though. She could have been one of the teachers at Luke's Jedi Academy and died in whatever disaster went down there.

BANNED

In the Legacy cannon. We are living in the age of recycled goods. The Hand of Snoke? I’m just throwing this out there. It’s possible.
    Rey wasn't born at all in the Legacy canon.

And I doubt that the Hand Of Snoke is going to marry Luke Skywalker. Just having her be the Hand Of Snoke does not justify using the Mara Jade name.

Amazing Member

Rey wasn't born at all in the Legacy canon.

And I doubt that the Hand Of Snoke is going to marry Luke Skywalker. Just having her be the Hand Of Snoke does not justify using the Mara Jade name.
    Mara is from Legacy not Rey. If they bring Mara into the new canon they can make her as old as they want. Why does she have to be Luke’s wife? That’s the old canon. That’s the point of throwing Legacy canon in the trash. You have to start thinking like a Disney scavenger. They can pick and choose what they like about Mara and Luke. Luke’s already lost in the new canon. The Legacy Luke wouldn’t hide from himself for 30 years. He’s lost powerful students to the dark side in Legacy and didn’t pout half as much. Why do you expect Mara will be the same person with the same history? IF she shows up at all. Give me a real reason Rey can’t actually be Mara Jade. There’s some similarities in appearance anyway.

Give me a real reason Rey can’t actually be Mara Jade. There’s some similarities in appearance anyway.
    Totally different personalities. They look nothing alike (redhead with green eyes vs. brunette with either gray or brown eyes [novelization says Rey has brown eyes, but I couldn't tell what the color was in the movie]). As far as I can tell, Rey was created totally independently from Mara (very different from when Thrawn was pulled into Rebels or Saw for Rogue One).

Historically, when Legends stuff is grandfathered into canon, it usually has some parallel to the original version (like how Thrawn's personality, job, and skills are essentially the same, it's just the era that he's used in is different). If Rey is indeed canon's Mara Jade, there so different that there might as well be no connection between them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Totally different personalities. They look nothing alike (redhead with green eyes vs. brunette with either gray or brown eyes [novelization says Rey has brown eyes, but I couldn't tell what the color was in the movie]). As far as I can tell, Rey was created totally independently from Mara (very different from when Thrawn was pulled into Rebels or Saw for Rogue One).

Historically, when Legends stuff is grandfathered into canon, it usually has some parallel to the original version (like how Thrawn's personality, job, and skills are essentially the same, it's just the era that he's used in is different). If Rey is indeed canon's Mara Jade, there so different that there might as well be no connection between them.
    I see what you're saying and I can get behind that. but you have to agree that when she puts the hood and goggles on and if you colored her outfit black she's Mara Jade. And like you said they can change the era she's in. I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility.

I see what you're saying and I can get behind that. but you have to agree that when she puts the hood and goggles on and if you colored her outfit black she's Mara Jade. And like you said they can change the era she's in. I'm just throwing this out there as a possibility.
    Not sure if the costume is enough of a connection. Besides, Mara wore a floppy hat and zero sleeves, while Rey had wraps for both. Goggles are a pretty generic accessory for an adventurer character.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Well, except for the bit that make Mara Jade Mara Jade: Palpatine's assassin/spy and Luke Skywalker's wife. That's Mara Jade, not some redhead with goggles.

Anybody feel that when Bantam had the license, they didn't really know too much what to do with her? Apart from Zahn's bookends, she didn't really show up that much. Then suddenly Zahn returns, has her marry Luke and we've got comics, action figures and even a video game (Mysteries of the Sith).

Maybe they could in some way combine her basic character with Shira Brie/Lumiya, a similar character from Marvel's run and ultiametly the cause of Mara's death in the books.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Amazing Member

Well, except for the bit that make Mara Jade Mara Jade: Palpatine's assassin/spy and Luke Skywalker's wife. That's Mara Jade, not some redhead with goggles.
    I wouldn't want her to be anyone else but her Legacy self either. Just seeing the similarities and possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody feel that when Bantam had the license, they didn't really know too much what to do with her? Apart from Zahn's bookends, she didn't really show up that much. Then suddenly Zahn returns, has her marry Luke and we've got comics, action figures and even a video game (Mysteries of the Sith).
    It probably doesn't help that the books weren't written in chronological order. I'm not sure what the original plan with Mara exactly was; Kevin J. Anderson, who started writing the Jedi Academy Trilogy while the original Thrawn books were still coming out has gone on record that at that time, there were no plans for her to be Luke's love interest, even from Timothy Zahn. Since Zahn has said since that he wanted to do that pretty early on, it must've been an idea that he had later in the writing process.

Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure whether the character's low profile was because of writers not having may ideas for her or that she wasn't intended to be as important a character as she turned out to be. I do know that Children of the Jedi was written very specifically to give Luke a girlfriend and that that new character had to be written out right away since Bantam had picked up that Mara was the fan's vote and they wound up going that way, which eventually lead to the character becoming a more consistent regular.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It probably doesn't help that the books weren't written in chronological order. I'm not sure what the original plan with Mara exactly was; Kevin J. Anderson, who started writing the Jedi Academy Trilogy while the original Thrawn books were still coming out has gone on record that at that time, there were no plans for her to be Luke's love interest, even from Timothy Zahn. Since Zahn has said since that he wanted to do that pretty early on, it must've been an idea that he had later in the writing process.
    Yeah, I remember in the Jedi Academy Trilogy there was a kind of pairing up between Mara and Lando (although it was far more wishful thinking on Lando's part). But talk about an odd couple--a scoundrel and a former Emperor's Hand.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Yeah, I remember in the Jedi Academy Trilogy there was a kind of pairing up between Mara and Lando (although it was far more wishful thinking on Lando's part). But talk about an odd couple--a scoundrel and a former Emperor's Hand.
    Yeah, Anderson came up with that since it was his understanding that Mara wasn't going to be attached to anyone else, Luke or otherwise. For some reason, no other authors picked up on that until Zahn himself came up with a retcon to explain how it fit into the larger series and was no longer a factor. (The fact that it was pretty clearly one-sided for the most part did help phase it out.)

I wasn't a fan of the idea, but I loved the one-liners and funny bits it generated.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, Anderson came up with that since it was his understanding that Mara wasn't going to be attached to anyone else, Luke or otherwise. For some reason, no other authors picked up on that until Zahn himself came up with a retcon to explain how it fit into the larger series and was no longer a factor. (The fact that it was pretty clearly one-sided for the most part did help phase it out.)

I wasn't a fan of the idea, but I loved the one-liners and funny bits it generated.
    Sometimes I kind of wish they had kept the Lando & Mara pairing because of the dichotomy. Luke & Mara was, in a way, a fairly predictable pairing--both lightsaber-wielding Force users with all the Light Side/Dark Side baggage that comes with that. But making Mara a Skywalker kept her at the forefront of the old EU.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1