Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast
    Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Default DCEU Superman Appreciation 2018

Since Justice League is coming really close and we all know that Superman is going to be the rock star at some part of this movie, I thought about making a thread to see how many people like Superman in DCEU the way he is, because I was "informed" that people who into comic books since earliest of ages don't and will never like DCEU Superman in his current form, that he is appealing only to younger audience and those who never saw comic books and I would like to see how wrong that statement is and I would highly appreciate if only those who truly love this Superman will be posting in this thread. I would love to find like-minded people.

Anyway I would love to start with talking about my Top 5 favorite DCEU Superman moments that define this version of Superman in my eyes and maybe you can name some of your favorite moments. Lets go!

5. The dialogue between Jonathan and Clark in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Very important moment in a sense of formation this Superman as a character in this universe. For the most part of the movie he encounters with nothing else but criticism for his actions, no matter how much of a good he did, majority still looked at him with a suspicion, even though all he ever wanted is for people to follow his example and become heroes of their own, for people to see him like his closest ones do. In this scene Jonathan told Clark a story from his childhood where his heroic deed caused an unfortunate result, which morally broke him. Keep in mind that right before this Superman witnessed bombing of the entire senate and he thought it was his fault for not being more cautious so he could prevent it. So he was most likely thinking something along the lines like what is the point of even trying if it takes one mistake in order for the entire world to turn on you? But back to Jonathan, in his story he and his father saved their farm from being sunk by a river, but because of them changing river’s direction, Lang’s farm suffered the consequences and all their horses died. Because of it Jonathan started seeing nightames and hearing cries of those horses while trying to sleep. This story was meant to mirror Clark’s situation, because in Man of Steel even though he was saving the world, a lot of people died in the process of his fight with Zod and he also couldn’t save those people back at the senate. When Clark asks if nightmares ever stopped for Jonathan, his father’s answer was yes, when he met Martha. She helped him to believe in good of this world again, she became his world. I think this way Joanthan was trying to explain to Clark that if there is any good in this world, even if it is one person, this reason is enough to keep fighting and doing what is right, because where is one, there will be many. Every action leads to certain consequences and your failures shouldn’t cause you to stop doing what you believe in, you just have to keep in mind that outcomes might not always be the ones you expect Good of the world doesn’t stop existing if you failed one or more times, it is always there. The world is worth saving for those who still believes in good and in better tomorrow. While those who oppose you will either come to terms and follow your example or will fail themselves. In the end I just love how they compared Clark and Lois’s relationship to Jonathan and Martha’s.

4. The dialogue between Martha and Clark in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. One more very important scene and is very dear to me as Superman’s fan. Martha explains to Clark that he doesn’t owe this world anything, he is not forced to do what he does, he has a choice who he wants to be and to become and this choice he has to make on his own and only like that. That way by the end of the movie we get that kind of Superman who does what he does because he wants to, because he sincerely and selflessly enjoys doing good and relieved people’s faces is all he would ever need in return like in that scene when he saves the girl from burning building. DCEU Superman becomes a hero not because he has to, but because he wants to and this is very important. This is the Superman that I love.

3. Saving the girl from the burning building in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I love the entire sequence, starting from the moment when Clark notices the TV news about Day of the Dead. He was in the process of his journalistic investigation about Batman vigilante and about his means to achieve justice in Gotham He got suspicious of Bruce once he heard his communication with Alfred through hidden coms and started following him. But in the process he stopped once he overheard the message on TV on a foreign for him language and when he realized that no one is going to rescue her, he immediately forgets about right now and started undoing his tie and flew to save her. In that moment I realized that this Superman is always listening, he is always cautious and on guard in order if somebody is going to need his help and when somebody does need his help, he puts that situation above anything else. Which is exactly why senate bombing harmed him that much as it did and why it made him feel guilty. Unfortunately they didn’t shoot how Kal-El was undressing from Clark into Superman. We immediately go to the moment he carries the girl in his hands, which also is a very cool moment that showcases how fast Superman is, because girl was already in the burning building when TV news were streaming the accident and it was in Mexico, so he had to be very fast in order to be in time. What I love the most about this scene is that Superman carries the girl with a smile towards her parents, you can literally see how happy he is and how much he enjoys what he is doing. Even though his expression changes a bit later, it is only because he doesn’t want people to see him as a messiah, he wants them to see him as a guy who is trying to do the right thing and for them to follow this example so people will be willing to help each other no matter the odds. He wants to show that in order to be a hero you don’t need super powers, all you need is a good and kind heart and will to do what is right for those around you.

2. Lois saves Superman, Superman saves Lois in Man of Steel.

Very strong and cool scene where Lois teams up with AI Jor-El in order to save Kal-El, which is followed by a very badass escape on Lois’s part, during which we are witnessing her military roots, since she was very good on using that alien gun, she was literally headshoting those kryptonians. But as soon as Lois gets to saving pod, it gets damaged by kryptonian lady and as a result she starts falling to Earth. When Superman gets his powers back thanks to Lois using his kryptonian key that had AI Jor-El inside of it and he reprogrammed kryptonian atmosphere of the ship to Earth’s, his biological father appears in front of him and explains how he and Lara wanted him to learn what it meant to be human first, so that one day when the time was right, he could be the bridge between two peoples. Kal-El smashes the wall of the ship to open space and after that dialogues occurred, Jor-El pointed Clark to look outside to see Lois which is followed by: “You can save her, Kal. You can save all of them”. In that exact moment Clark/Kal-El becomes Superman and goes to do his job of saving Lois and the world. What is especially great about this entire sequence is that through Lois we are witnessing that in order to be hero you don’t need super powers, you need to be brave and have a good heart that is willing to help those in need and Superman was the one in need that time around. All of that leads us one more time to the point that everyone can be a hero in his/hers own way.

1. Superman’s first Flight in Man of Steel. I need to be clear that I love this entire scene from the moment when Clark is learning about this kryptonian heritage through Jor-El. This entire dialogue that leads them to Superman’s costume and Jor-El explaining that the symbol of House of El mean hope and it embodies a fundamental belief that potential of every person to be a force for good and this is exactly what Superman is going to become for every living being in the universe. Every time Jor-El open’s his mouth he speaks Superman is a sense that he defines all that this character means, what he is and what he will be. The meaning behind symbol of House of El defines the word hero, that all it needs is to be hopeful and do good however you can, super powers are not necessary, it’s just an instrument, but we can all contribute as far as our capabilities allow. Which again leads me to the point of DCEU’s Superman and DCEU in general - everyone can be a hero and it is expressed through various supporting characters. And of course my most favorite part of this scene is Russell Crowe quoting Grant Morrison’s All-Star Superman: “You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders” and right after that Superman takes his first Flight and I love so much how Henry Cavill expressed the reaction to such an event. This Clark was happy as if like a human being suddenly discovered that you can fly and this is freaking amazing! He is so happy and so amazed by himself that it just warms my heart every single time I rewatch this scene. As Jor-El said, Superman embodies the best from two worlds, two different civilizations, he expresses unity, that different cultures can exist together and be embodied in a person. But most importantly, he shows humanity’s potential, even while being an alien, he takes the best from us and through his example shows what we can become, that we can be our own heroes from the world around us.

Awesome thread! About time somebody made one.

I’ve been reading Superman since the start of Post Crisis, and Cavill’s version is my favorite live action portrayal. The DCEU version is “my” Post Crisis Superman finally realized on the big screen. Barrel-chested Superman, no bumbling Clark Kent. Perry rides his ass at work, but Clark is not shown to be cowardly. The power levels are spot on, and this is a Superman who is very human due to his upbringing. The Post Crisis Triangle Era is my favorite Superman, and they have finally brought him to the big screen. I love it.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The burning building scene is one of my all-time favorites. Great thread.

You guys will probably like this video but particularly the Superman part (at 7:17):

That very first teaser still gives me chills

Just this one minute, combined with Jonathan Kent version of speech, tells enough what this story is going to be about. It will be about wandering Clark Kent who is trying to figure out his place on Earth while being a child of two worlds. A realistic approach to the alien refugee with a great purpose he has yet to discover and to do so he will have face his ups and downs, making hard decisions and dealing with world's reaction to his existence. Damn I miss the times when Man of Steel was still about to release and were getting all those gergous trailers and posters.

Even that poster tells the story. This Superman is in the shadows and it will be that movie to give him an opportunity to step into the light. The entire movie was pretty much about people discovering alien existence and stuff like that can really re-shape how we see things. To this day I'm perfectly fine with collateral damage that was made in the movie. Lets face it, if Clark Kent faced a trained army of kryptonians while not being Superman yet, he wouldn't be in control of situations he was put into. The entire Faora fight was about that "You are weak, son of El, unsure of yourself" so it was his time to learn how not be weak and become sure in himself.

I can't believe you forgot the world engine scene dude.

Can we just talk about how much they absolutely nailed his first meeting with Lois? Lois meets Kal as an equal. He melts the ice leading into the liminal space of the ship, destroys the mechanical monster attacking her when probably not even a gun could have done so, and cauterizes her internal bleeding, so she knows he's impossibly strong and can vomit fire from his eyes, but he also looks her in the eye, takes her hand, calmly waits for her to stop freaking out. He says "I can do things other people can't," which indicates better than anything how little his powers have gone to his head. He's gentle, and as she follows his story, she realizes that he's always like this. Always helping, always compassionate, always alone.

Some Loises just seem to like Kal just because, because Lois Lane loves Superman, that's the end of it. Adams' Lois got possibly the best first impression of Kal ever, and thus she has an understanding of him that few Lois Lanes get to have of their Superman.

Speaking of which, Superman's social justice focus is absolutely ideal. Despite his invulnerability, he's been in remarkably vulnerable positions for most of his life, as an immigrant, as an itinerant worker, as a kid getting bullied for being different. His vulnerability informs both his super-heroics and his journalistic focus, which sure doesn't earn him any points with Perry, but it sure chalked him up as one of my favorite versions of the character.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Can we just talk about how much they absolutely nailed his first meeting with Lois? Lois meets Kal as an equal. He melts the ice leading into the liminal space of the ship, destroys the mechanical monster attacking her when probably not even a gun could have done so, and cauterizes her internal bleeding, so she knows he's impossibly strong and can vomit fire from his eyes, but he also looks her in the eye, takes her hand, calmly waits for her to stop freaking out. He says "I can do things other people can't," which indicates better than anything how little his powers have gone to his head. He's gentle, and as she follows his story, she realizes that he's always like this. Always helping, always compassionate, always alone.

Some Loises just seem to like Kal just because, because Lois Lane loves Superman, that's the end of it. Adams' Lois got possibly the best first impression of Kal ever, and thus she has an understanding of him that few Lois Lanes get to have of their Superman.

Speaking of which, Superman's social justice focus is absolutely ideal. Despite his invulnerability, he's been in remarkably vulnerable positions for most of his life, as an immigrant, as an itinerant worker, as a kid getting bullied for being different. His vulnerability informs both his super-heroics and his journalistic focus, which sure doesn't earn him any points with Perry, but it sure chalked him up as one of my favorite versions of the character.
    Totally agree. That follow up to the flight scene with Lois' investigation was brilliant and through her we learning about that Clark became an urban legend, she meets all those people that we have seen Clark helping before, the crew from oil reg, a female bartender who was sexually harassed and Clark stood up for her showing an immense level of self control, cause we know he could tore that dude apart and he might even deserves it, but Clark let it go. Yeah, he destroyed his truck, but this Clark has human emotions, he might get frustrated which led him to the idea of punishment for that truck driver, he gets angry and attacks Zod when he threatens Martha. Maybe Superman should be above all these emotions, but it is exactly through overcoming them he developes from Clark Kent to Superman, a character who has to show better ways of dealing with things, but how can he do that if he doesn't make his own mistakes to learn from? Which is what he was doing.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Day of the Dead/Rescue Montage and First Flight are definitely my top two most liked scenes, though scenes with social-crusader Clark are really coming close because they remind me of Kal.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    This whole sequence gives me chills. The music, the narration, the imagery. The only thing that rivals it in Superman media is the Helicopter rescue from the Donner film, and this tops it I think.

For all the faults of MOS and the theatrical BvS, Cavill's thoughtful portrayle of Kal/Clark/Superman is spot on every time. I'll forever love Reeve,but Cavill is right up there. In many ways he surpasses Reeve. That might be controversial,but it's the truth.

I can't wait for his return in JL and Hopefully, we see MOS2 very soon. I want to see Cav-El shine.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

Man of Steel is a masterpiece! Henry Cavill is great a Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-EL. I love the chemistry between Cavill and Amy Adams. Great cast. Love Hans Zimmer music. I love the Richard Donner Superman:The Movie, Man of Steel is great! I am so looking forward to seeing him in Justice League and I am anxiously awaiting MOS 2!
    Last edited by Mister BoMan; 10-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I can't believe you forgot the world engine scene dude.
    I haven't forgotten, it's just isn't in my Top 5, but I love that entire scene and how it went parallel to what was happening Metropolis, just like Superman humans were enduring against unspeakable odds and never hesitated, the whole Perry and Daily Planet stuff was meant to show how humanity can be just as heroic as Superman and the way how he managed to overcome the engine combined with masterpiece of a soundtrack it was magical, epic and really strong scene. I love it just as much as oil rig scene, which was also really meaningful because it was Clark's very first introduction scene and what was really important is that it starts movie with him saving people as a no name hero, which spoke volumes already what kind of person he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    That has to be among the best sequences in comic book movies ever. The visuals are themselves cool to see. The theme of him trying, falling, picking himself up and flying is showed in one masterful sequence. The inspiring speech of Jor-El (taken from of all things 'All Star Superman'). Henry Cavill nails the scene. First determination then joy in first success. The sage like cool as he tries to gather himself after his failure. That almost childish joy of flight. And finally, that quiet confidence as he has achieved mastery over flight. Combine all of this with the epic 'Flight' score by Zimmer this is one sequence which is simply brilliant.

The Flight scene is gold standard how you do "discovering my super powers" scene. That scene caused a pure joy back at the cinema all 4 times I've went to see it in theatres. I reacted just like this kid

I also like how scientfically Jor-El goes into explaining Superman's powers. In general I think Man of Steel has the best Kal-El and Jor-El interactions in media ever. There is this strong sense of father and son relationship even though Jor-El is an AI, but this version of AI is so alive and emotional that you can't not feel him as a living person talking to his son after so many years. I really love how Jor-El is inspiring in MoS towards his son, guiding him towards his destiny, exaplining what things on Krypton happened the way it did, but most of all I love how he brushes Kal's "so I'm alone" with "no, you are as much of a child of Earth as you are of Krypton".

You know what I love about this scene so much? Kal-El’s expressions towards Jor-El. When Superman looks outside and sees Lois in danger, he turns to his dad with this kind of lost face that says “What I do now?” and Jor-El doesn’t tell him what to do. He tells him what he can do (and will he do it or not is all up to him) and that he believes that Kal can save and Lois and Earth. That very last moment when Clark looks at Jor, you can see at the edge of his lips that he smiles at his father, his entire face says “Thank you, dad” and it just hits me so hard, becuase this is one of those rarest gems when Superman can interact with his biological parent on that emotional level. His father is proud of him and believes in him. I’m crying.