It's also my third after Superman III and MoS.

I was at a gym last year and though it would never be the sort of thing to catch my eye for too long, this guy who looked very much like Cavill was wearing an awesome Superman sweater. To the point where if I couldn't tell he was under 30, I'd have thought it was something like the NY walk-about prank. I ended up talking to him and telling how I didn't want to see BvS after all I'd heard. He remarked how people let the negativity of others feed their own negativity, and that there's no harm in trusting Superman. It's funny because we're only talking about spending $10 and sitting down for 3 hours, but it did indeed give me the motivation to (after finishing my workout) trust all the good I could find in the movie if I did find some. Surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
And people say Goyer doesn't get the character.
If he wrote those two movies and doesn't get that he wrote a Clark and not a Kal, there might be something missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
Superman only works for me when there's the right balance between hope, humor, and an underlying sense of sadness born out of the loneliness of being among the last of kind, and his feelings of isolation and being an outsider during his formative years.
I've always read being the last son of Krypton as being his hope, tremendous both in privilege and responsibility. Because he's the last son of Krypton, he carries the hope of his old people and brings it to his new people. It makes him a better human and hero. Which is why "isolation in growing up" just seems like something someone whipped up in the mid 2000s. Superboy flew around baking giant cakes and the post crisis model largely just felt his difference in things like his friends getting hurt when he didn't.

Cavill's Superman ultimately does have it as both hope and sadness, but because he's not the comic version of Superman I can accept fear at the weight of his burden, and questioning that it's even his burden. Those feelings are even in the bravest or wisest among us.