Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Cavill is worth more now than when he first signed on the play Superman but he’s no where near to deserving RDJ money.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Cavill is worth more now than when he first signed on the play Superman but he’s no where near to deserving RDJ money.
    I agree with that. He needs to have at least two critically and commercially successful Superman movies before he can start to compare. But I think he CAN deliver that, with the right team.

Henry needs Mission Impossible to be big, and it looks like it will be.

Poor guy, it's not his fault all this is happening but WB and Snyder.

https://mobile.twitter.com/I_Am_MFR/...88908394745856
    And the mysterious fifth film, I’ve heard, would’ve been based on Injustice.

I totally believe this. Holy crap did Supes dodge a bullet. This would’ve either gotten massive backlash or destroyed Supes as a character.
    Last edited by RepHope; 07-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.

BANNED

Times like this I'm glad we have the Justice Lords story from the JL cartoon to fall back on in regards to how to do this bollocks right.

I will never understand WB/DC's fascination with Injustice...other than they want to pull in the mugs who play the game.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post

I totally believe this. Holy crap did Supes dodge a bullet. This would’ve either gotten massive backlash or destroyed Supes as a character.
    Well, it was obvious since BvS that preventing an Injustice/Final Crisis type of scenario was the DCEU's endgame.

BvS' scene of Superman ripping off Batman's mask and blaming him for Lois' death is in the Injustice comic book too.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Considering how WB screwed things up, not him, and how he's stuck by the character and wants to help right the ship, he does deserve some more money. But you're right, the RDJ thing is ludicrous if true (not saying it is).

If anything, he should be earning slightly less than Gadot.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Henry needs Mission Impossible to be big, and it looks like it will be.

Poor guy, it's not his fault all this is happening but WB and Snyder.
    Hopefully it is. Even if it is though, the main draw is going to be Cruise, not Cavill. But that doesn't mean he still can't make a good impression and be one of the film's other selling points.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post

If this is true, then people were right: Snyder had no clue what he was doing. There's no defending this. It's difficult enough enjoying MOS anymore knowing what we ultimately ended up with in JL, but thinking this was the plan going back to that is even worse. MOS as an origin is fine, if divisive, but immediately going to a sequel packed with guest stars in which Superman is still unsure of himself and gets killed (and has a lot of his scenes cut), comes back as a mind controlled object in JL1, gets freed in JL2 and then we immediately go into Injustice, without a solo film in sight...the character was fucked from jump street in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I will never understand WB/DC's fascination with Injustice...other than they want to pull in the mugs who play the game.
    I hate that game with a passion.

Henry on why he loves Superman (GQ Australia). He totally gets it.

"I love everything he stands for. It was wonderful to have part of my personality fall in line with a character I play," he says.

And what does he stand for? "He stands for the best in all of us. I don't just mean individually, but in the way that, when we are at our best, everyone else around us is also at their best. And that's what Superman does: he doesn't just save the day, he saves the day and makes you feel fantastic enough that you can save the day."

"I love everything he stands for. It was wonderful to have part of my personality fall in line with a character I play," he says.

And what does he stand for? "He stands for the best in all of us. I don't just mean individually, but in the way that, when we are at our best, everyone else around us is also at their best. And that's what Superman does: he doesn't just save the day, he saves the day and makes you feel fantastic enough that you can save the day."
    A+ explanation, Cavill gets the character. Hope he gets another shot at playing him.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Henry is quite simply the best ambassador the character has had since Chris Reeve. It isn't his fault WB has failed him. If anything, WB should be groveling at Henry's feet to have him return as Superman and not the other way around. He may not be worth RDJ money, but they should not be too stingy.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-15-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Henry is quite simply the best ambassador the character has had since Chris Reeve. It isn't his fault WB has failed him. If anything, WB should be groveling at Henry's feet to have him return as Superman and not the other way around. He may not be worth RDJ money, but they should not be too stingy.
    Unfortunately, Henry is the face of the franchise, and the face of a Superman who has not been widely accepted by everyone. If the casuals see his face on a movie poster, they might still associate it with BvS and assume the poor guy will be forced to be stoic and look depressed for two hours. So from WB's perspective, I can see why they would maybe want to proceed with a new face for the character to immediately let people know this is different.

None of which changes the fact that we got to this point because of THEIR screw ups, not Cavill's. This is really a mess with no easy solution.

Master Hero Vladimir

Yes, DC and Warner face an uphill battle to make Superman a profitable character again. Even so, that doesn't excuse the tactical withdrawal they are engaging in. What they should do is stick to their guns and make a new movie that keeps what worked in the DCEU and take away what didn't. It worked for Star Trek, it worked for the X-Men, it can work for Superman. With the 80th anniversary and Henry's real life charisma, DC Films can get audiences existed for a new Superman movie. All they need to do is analyze their next steps.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Yes, DC and Warner face an uphill battle to make Superman a profitable character again. Even so, that doesn't excuse the tactical withdrawal they are engaging in. What they should do is stick to their guns and make a new movie that keeps what worked in the DCEU and take away what didn't. It worked for Star Trek, it worked for the X-Men, it can work for Superman. With the 80th anniversary and Henry's real life charisma, DC Films can get audiences existed for a new Superman movie. All they need to do is analyze their next steps.
    Add to the fact that everyone who did go so JL gave Henry's Superman high marks and in many ways was the best part of the movie. I think most of the movie going public WANT to like Henry's Superman. They just haven't given compelling reasons to like him. Even though i liked Snyder's DCEU overall, i realize I'm in the minority.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Let's be honest, Superman hasn't been the most bankable of franchises since 1983. That's when the box office rot aet in. The last five Superman films( III, IV, Supergirl, SR, MOS, BvS and JL) have underperformed to one degree or another. A new actor in the role would not guarantee a turn around, and i doubt there are many actors beating down WB's door to be the next Superman, known or unknown.

Sure, WB could find another unknown fairly easily in theory,but would they be as enthusiastic or loyal to the character that he'd weather the outright insanity that Henry has been subjected to at time by fandom, WB and the critics? How many other actors would have bailed on the role after the crap storm that surrounded JL? Henry would have been forgiven if like Ben Affleck he was like " you know what? I'm good. It's not worth all this." and walk away. But Henry hasn't. He WANTS to continue to be the steward for Superman. He obviously loves the character. Why else would he want to stay?

If there are sane people at WB, they will realise their best shot at this point for redeeming this franchise is Henry.You don't have to pay him RDJ money but if he wants a degree of creative control...why not give him at least a one picture deal with an option for more later if it succeeds. Let him have input if that is a sticking point. What does WB have to lose? Turn Henry loose. If it works, the franchise is revived. If it doesn't...well ,part ways with Henry on good terms, the fans get some closure, Cavill can honestly say he tried his best , and they can rest the character for a few years, then try again later.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 07-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Add to the fact that everyone who did go so JL gave Henry's Superman high marks and in many ways was the best part of the movie. I think most of the movie going public WANT to like Henry's Superman. They just haven't given compelling reasons to like him. Even though i liked Snyder's DCEU overall, i realize I'm in the minority.
    There is the downside of it being coupled with Moustachegate though...

There is also the fact that some fans think Superman was propped up at the expense of others in one scene and it damaged the brand of all the other characters. Not that I bought it, since two of those brands (Wonder Woman and Aquaman) are getting solo films and Superman's future is in doubt, and Batman's always bankable regardless of whether or not Affleck stays, so how damaging could it have really been?