Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Does it feel like Henry Cavill didn't really enjoy MoS and BvS to anyone else?

No. I had the feeling he did from what I saw on his social media.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    We'd better get one more Superman movie with Cavil. He's earned it (and was def one of the highlights of this movie).

I completely agree that with time these films will be better regarded. I just rewatched BvS in prep for Justice League, and found it a really much more thought provoking film than I realized. That Superman would be a polarizing, and politicized, figure in today's world is undoubtedly true. The scenes with the congressional hearings -- and bought testimony (such as Luthor did with the "survivor" of the desert raid) -- are spot-on for how these things tend. Snyder was onto something there, and it was really interesting.

That noted, I want a Man of Steel sequel that brings the joy to the character that feel Morrison has. Just my opinion.
    My one and only major criticism with BvS ( and to lesser extent MOS) is that Supes should have been given more dialogue. In the Senate hearing scene we should have gotten to hear Supes speak a little in his defense before the explosion . Not a long winded speech, but something.

I agree. MOS and BvS aren't perfect movies and have some small narrative and pacing problems , but they make up for it with a depth and richness and multiple layers that most comic book based movies wish they had. Every time I watch them , I discover something new.

I love most of the Marvel films as pure entertainment, especially the phase one films and through Winter Soldier, but they are for the most part, not movies that reward multiple viewings, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've said it before...Marvel makes fun popcorn movies with Epic moments. DCEU movies thus far are just Epics. They aim for the bleachers and may not always succeed for what they are aiming for but at least they've tried and when they succeed... Boy do they ever. There's room for both approaches.

My fear is with JL so far not living up to expectations box office wise, Warner's will overcompensate and either completely abandon doing movies that take these characters seriously and double down on trying to copy Marvel and their approach , or even worse, abandon DC Movies all together. Both would be a huge mistake. Yes, they need to change a few things and watch the budgets ( if JL was a 200 million dollar movie or even 250 million, there wouldn't be as big of an issue with the box office returns not blowing away the competition and doing Avengers sized numbers.) But the last thing they need to do is pander and dumb their characters down for a few extra gafaws as Thor Ragnarok did. Yes it's fun. Yes it's making money but Disney follows the money and I have a sinking feeling There will be pressure to start steering Marvel even more down the camp and comedy route. Yeah it'll make them more money in the short term but if they aren't careful they will destroy themselves and lose all credibility...And if that happens, this whole genre suffers.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-22-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Can I just say how much I loved this fight? Seriously, considering Clark barely scrapped with Doomsday in the Smallville TV Show, seeing a more proper throwdown between them, with help from freaking Wonder Woman and The Bat, was pure delight.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    No. I had the feeling he did from what I saw on his social media.
    I agree. I think anything he's saying now about how JL finally has the "real" Superman- that's all just marketing, that's all hype. He seemed to think that Dawn of Justice had the real Superman in it when he was hyping that. And frankly, I still think it does. Not to say that Cavill's insincere about thinking Justice League is great- I'm sure he's sincere.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

What I love about Zack Snyder is that how visually stunning he can capture Superman. Sometimes it looks like a picture, a spread page from a comic book.

This shot, I want to print it and hang on the wall like a piece of art it is.

And even such a simple matter as saving one girl from a burning building was captured not like something that happens on daily basis, but as something that only Superman could have done in that moment and when that scene was happening in the movie, it felt like something only Superman could do with an amazing Day of the Dead music track playing at the background. It felt massive.

And this, this is exactly what I was talking about a "like a spread page". Superman and Doomsday clashing against each other with their heat vision

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    That's glorious.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Thought it was about time I popped in here and gave some love for Cav-El.

I might complain about the Donner films on occasion (or rather the fact that some people can't let go of them 40 years later), but Reeves still did an incredible job playing Clark/Superman. Much, much love for Reeves' Superman. But he never had the kind of edge I like to see. He was almost too kind, too good, too noble. He seemed....not "soft" but.....maybe a little too naive? Not sure what the word is Im looking for really, but he didn't capture the full spectrum of who and what Superman is, for me. I know thats not a popular opinion, but I do like a little Golden Age roughness in my Superman.

Cavill however, he gets the whole scale and scope. He's got pathos, grit, nobility, and a quiet, subdued humor. This is a guy with simple, honest goals who recognizes the burden he's accepted without letting it break him. He's also got a temper, which any proper Superman must, in my opinion, have a little of.

Cavill is my definitive Superman. Man of Steel is my definitive Super-movie. And I think Justice League might have some of my favorite Superman moments ever captured on screen as well. For all the issues I have with BvS, Cavill remains a highlight of any DC film he's in.

Gotta love that Golden Age inspired shield too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Sticking with the spirit of the thread, just the positive stuff.

Best portrayal of Lois Lane ever and I say this as someone who LOVED the Erica Durance Lois and even loved the Noell Neal Lois who was very much the classic or original Lois to a large degree. The whole secret identity thing was great for a long time but where Lois is concerned it needed to not be rehashed yet again. They skipped all that secret identity stuff and made her a truly brilliant invesitigator who figures out who he is right away. Plus they can avoid the mistakes of the Superman II reset button and actually have the relationship progress.

Physically, Cavill is my idea/ ideal of what Superman would look like more than anybody and both George Reeves and Christopher Reeve were great. But George Reeves by the time he played Superman was no longer in the physical condition he once had been though he was still decent. But Cavill certainly beats him there. Chris Reeve had sort of a professional model look. So does Cavill but it's a much more rugged look.

MoS Superman has to deal with hard choices and consequences. He can't just avoid every ugly choice by manifesting some power or some deus ex machina use of his powers. That makes him more real and makes him even more a symbol of hope because he's not living in what someone recently called "a morally simplistic setting" where doing the right thing is relatively easy and most people praise him every time when he makes the best choice he can. Instead, they react like real people.

Jonathan Kent is lambasted more than any other character BUT he is a very believable character in a world like the real one where "aliens" are hated by a significant portion of the population because they are of a different culture or religion or (one of the very essences of bigotry), "If one of them did it, they all did it." In a world like that (ours), people are not going to easily accept a super powerful alien who isn't even a human alien from another country.

One can praise and criticize the battle scenes. But Superman is a guy with no experience in combat against real opponents and he gets caught in a situation where he does the best he can and cannot magically move an army of opponents out of the city. Plus he later learns from experience and does far better in Justice League. This just adds to the realism.

I love the early scenes of Clark traveling the world and saving people like a modern day Hercules working in secret. That part felt very mythical and wondrous.

I could come up with more but sleep beckons.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    My one and only major criticism with BvS ( and to lesser extent MOS) is that Supes should have been given more dialogue. In the Senate hearing scene we should have gotten to hear Supes speak a little in his defense before the explosion . Not a long winded speech, but something.

I agree. MOS and BvS aren't perfect movies and have some small narrative and pacing problems , but they make up for it with a depth and richness and multiple layers that most comic book based movies wish they had. Every time I watch them , I discover something new.

I love most of the Marvel films as pure entertainment, especially the phase one films and through Winter Soldier, but they are for the most part, not movies that reward multiple viewings, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've said it before...Marvel makes fun popcorn movies with Epic moments. DCEU movies thus far are just Epics. They aim for the bleachers and may not always succeed for what they are aiming for but at least they've tried and when they succeed... Boy do they ever. There's room for both approaches.

My fear is with JL so far not living up to expectations box office wise, Warner's will overcompensate and either completely abandon doing movies that take these characters seriously and double down on trying to copy Marvel and their approach , or even worse, abandon DC Movies all together. Both would be a huge mistake. Yes, they need to change a few things and watch the budgets ( if JL was a 200 million dollar movie or even 250 million, there wouldn't be as big of an issue with the box office returns not blowing away the competition and doing Avengers sized numbers.) But the last thing they need to do is pander and dumb their characters down for a few extra gafaws as Thor Ragnarok did. Yes it's fun. Yes it's making money but Disney follows the money and I have a sinking feeling There will be pressure to start steering Marvel even more down the camp and comedy route. Yeah it'll make them more money in the short term but if they aren't careful they will destroy themselves and lose all credibility...And if that happens, this whole genre suffers.
    In brief, I would say that DC does in their mainstream multi-million dollar movies what Marvel mostly does only on Netflix. They give is thoughtful stories that are more than a popcorn fest. Now I am NOT saying that most of the Marvel movies have no substance because they do. But they water it down far more than DC does.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    Does it feel like Henry Cavill didn't really enjoy MoS and BvS to anyone else?
    I think he's 50/50 on them. Even with BvS, he was talking about how he wasn't playing the true Superman yet (his words) and that he was looking forward to getting there. I'm sure, like most of us, he thought the concept of MoS and (to a lesser extent) BvS were interesting and exciting... But the execution?

I also think it shows in his performance. He's SO much better and more comfortable here in JL than he is in the other ones. The true Superman fit him like a glove. Now give him more than five minutes of screentime so he can get into the depth of this new Superman... That could really be special.
    Last edited by titansupes; 11-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Thought it was about time I popped in here and gave some love for Cav-El.

I might complain about the Donner films on occasion (or rather the fact that some people can't let go of them 40 years later), but Reeves still did an incredible job playing Clark/Superman. Much, much love for Reeves' Superman. But he never had the kind of edge I like to see. He was almost too kind, too good, too noble. He seemed....not "soft" but.....maybe a little too naive? Not sure what the word is Im looking for really, but he didn't capture the full spectrum of who and what Superman is, for me. I know thats not a popular opinion, but I do like a little Golden Age roughness in my Superman.

Cavill however, he gets the whole scale and scope. He's got pathos, grit, nobility, and a quiet, subdued humor. This is a guy with simple, honest goals who recognizes the burden he's accepted without letting it break him. He's also got a temper, which any proper Superman must, in my opinion, have a little of.

Cavill is my definitive Superman. Man of Steel is my definitive Super-movie. And I think Justice League might have some of my favorite Superman moments ever captured on screen as well. For all the issues I have with BvS, Cavill remains a highlight of any DC film he's in.

Gotta love that Golden Age inspired shield too.
    A little Golden Age roughness. That's it. Well, more than that but that's a part of it. Of course it's more nuanced than the GA. Plus he lives in something much closer to the real world. I loved George Reeves but he lived in a mostly cartoon world. Chris Reeve was a fantastic actor and, at the time, his Superman was a leap forward in realism. For someone who grew up on George Reeves reruns and Saturday morning Hanna-Barbara cartoons, Chris Reeve was a huge leap forward in character realism. But still, except for a couple of scenes (in Superman II), his Superman was that simplistic and universally accepted Superman that everyone loved and trusted and who, by implication, took orders from the U.S. President or something very close to that. Even the George Reeves Superman, in the first two seasons, had more of an edge to him being that George was basically the Golden Age Superman at first though that transitioned into something akin to the Silver Age in later seasons. But Chris Reeve at best was Bronze Age but had that perfect too good Silver Age feeling most of the time. And I love those eras too but I'm just saying.

Yes, Cavill has that edge to him and seems as of Justice League to be portrayed as a mature Superman who has learned from experience and come into his own.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Oh BOY that's a nice one. Got anymore good quality screencaps of JL Superman?

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the reason for that was the fact that Christopher Reeves was playing an established Superman right away with years of expirience behind his back, while Henry Cavill got an opportunity to play Superman who is in the process of his journey of establishing himself, a part of Clark Kent that was played by Jeff East in Superman 1978 was given to Cavill as well, so he just got a wider opportunity to play around with.