Page 44 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think they need to strike a perfect balance between a very confident Superman who knows himself and his place in the world, is exceptionally charming to those around him, the world at large but also very intimidating to those who want to cause harm and we have to see that reflected on people as well. JL tried to tell us just how much this universe valued and appreciated Superman but in truth I never saw this in MoS and BvS. They seemed wary and almost very hostile towards Superman so them "mourning" his death and honouring him on such a grand scale seemed quite disingenuous to me. This needs to be corrected, basically 'show don't tell' why Superman is this beacon of hope. We as the audience already know who he is/will be but I don't buy that the DCEU actually knows him (or rather they didn't care to know him until he was actually dead and that's not good storytelling imo, considering we may not even have a Superman movie at all for the next while).

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Life imitates art or art imitates life.

Wait a few hours and someone will edit the Superman suit on Cavill in the pic with the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    The Kryptonian designs were GOAT. Managed to look “human” and “alien” at the same time.
    I like the Giger-esque influence on the Kryptonian designs. That was a great aesthetic choice.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co...hanics-in.html

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'm not sure that what worked with WW can work with Superman too. Patty's movie attracted a different audience, female and old people, that usually din't give a shit about superheroes movie.
    Patty's movie was more accessible for a wider audience than the Snyder movies have been. JL was also more accessible than his movies but that movie had many problems from before they even started filming. The Wonder Woman movie had a more accessible and enjoyable vibe from the start that even kids could get into. I've seen many young girls loving this movie, my 8-y-o niece included. I think it's about making a great movie that is accessible for most. The Snyder movies (none of them) are like that. His style is not popular enough. I'm not saying his movies are terrible, I quite enjoy 300, BvS and love MOS, but he doesn't know how to make movies for the masses. He is too serious and melodramatic. He is not good at light-hearted. I'm sure he thinks it's too cheesy and corny..

Thankfully, Patty J. didn't agree with him and she incorporated elements and tones from Superman The Movie in her own WW movie. She said she grew up with STM and loved it, and it shows in WW. I really don't see how her approach could only work for Diana.. seriously, makes no sense. Snyder made some good stuff, but he also made big mistakes. Look at MOS and BvS' opening weekends, they were higher than WW's, but WW had more legs and better word of mouth. There was interest in Superman and Batman movies, but Snyder ruined it with his poor choices and storytelling style.

I mean, who would hate a lighthearted scene of Superman saving some kid and that kid showing his love for Superman in return? I'm sure people would love it, especially if we see Superman smiling more and just more comfortable and confident at being Eath's hero. I hated that he was mostly brooding and/or crying in BvS, or just too serious. It was not the right way to continue after how MOS divided the fandom and gen audiences.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-13-2018 at 08:01 AM.

double post
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-13-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I think they need to strike a perfect balance between a very confident Superman who knows himself and his place in the world, is exceptionally charming to those around him, the world at large but also very intimidating to those who want to cause harm and we have to see that reflected on people as well. JL tried to tell us just how much this universe valued and appreciated Superman but in truth I never saw this in MoS and BvS. They seemed wary and almost very hostile towards Superman so them "mourning" his death and honouring him on such a grand scale seemed quite disingenuous to me. This needs to be corrected, basically 'show don't tell' why Superman is this beacon of hope. We as the audience already know who he is/will be but I don't buy that the DCEU actually knows him (or rather they didn't care to know him until he was actually dead and that's not good storytelling imo, considering we may not even have a Superman movie at all for the next while).
    I saw him as a beacon of hope in MOS, but not enough in BvS. Like you say, it was more telling than showing. Superman was a rookie superhero in MOS, but then many over a year passed after he showed up himself to the world and all we saw was how Lex and Bruce hated him, etc. We were told he did more stuff BUT we didn't see it play... We saw him saving some people during the Day of the Death montage, but he didn't even talk during that. We didn't see him directly interacting with those people he saved. The closest one was that girl he saved from the fire, but he said nothing. It was a beautifully shot scene (and montage) but he is so quiet... How does that make him charming and endearing?? It's why people miss the Chris Reeve Superman; not for a remake of that movie, but to bring more of that confident and friendly and warmer Superman portrayal, who could also get really serious with the bad guys. So yes, I mostly agree with you.

WW movie did it better. Her portrayal was both very badass and serious when needed, but also very charming and lighthearted enough to make her more interesting to watch and more lovable, imo. At heart, Superman and WW are very alike than they are not, imo. Both want to help and do it out of compassion. Snyder thinks that very serious is more badass..
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-13-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Patty's movie was more accessible for a wider audience than the Snyder movies have been. JL was also more accessible than his movies but that movie had many problems from before they even started filming. The Wonder Woman movie had a more accessible and enjoyable vibe from the start that even kids could get into. I've seen many young girls loving this movie, my 8-y-o niece included. I think it's about making a great movie that is accessible for most. The Snyder movies (none of them) are like that. His style is not popular enough. I'm not saying his movies are terrible, I quite enjoy 300, BvS and love MOS, but he doesn't know how to make movies for the masses. He is too serious and melodramatic. He is not good at light-hearted. I'm sure he thinks it's too cheesy and corny..

Thankfully, Patty J. didn't agree with him and she incorporated elements and tones from Superman The Movie in her own WW movie. She said she grew up with STM and loved it, and it shows in WW. I really don't see how her approach could only work for Diana.. seriously, makes no sense. Snyder made some good stuff, but he also made big mistakes. Look at MOS and BvS' opening weekends, they were higher than WW's, but WW had more legs and better word of mouth. There was interest in Superman and Batman movies, but Snyder ruined it with his poor choices and storytelling style.

I mean, who would hate a lighthearted scene of Superman saving some kid and that kid showing his love for Superman in return? I'm sure people would love it, especially if we see Superman smiling more and just more comfortable and confident at being Eath's hero. I hated that he was mostly brooding and/or crying in BvS, or just too serious. It was not the right way to continue after how MOS divided the fandom and gen audiences.
    I agree with you on how Superman should be portrayed. But I feel that the WW movie is too old-school, "classic", and a Superman movie, instead, need to feel modern and fresh to caught the audience.

I agree with you on how Superman should be portrayed. But I feel that the WW movie is too old-school, "classic", and a Superman movie, instead, need to feel modern and fresh to caught the audience.
    I agree. I'm not asking for a STM remake. The campy humor is Not needed at all.. I think the modern and more realistic approach that Snyder and Nolan did with MOS was the way to go, but it was too gritty for Superman. More Nolan than Donner.

I think Nolan is great and his style was perfect for Batman, but Superman/Clark is not Batman.. I think Patty did it right for WW with that tone. She made a film with a modern aesthetic and feel but also brought the charm and warmth from Donner. There is a reason why the SpiderMan movies do so well, they have plenty of fun for the whole family to enjoy. Snyder really does not.

I'm sure there is a middle ground that can be used for Superman to make him more enjoyable to watch. Patty did found it for WW, and like I said, Supes and Wondi are not too different, he just deals with a bigger scope.

If the Supergirl movie gets made.. just watch how similar in tone it will be to WW's movie..

There is a reason why Aquaman and Shazam look a lot more fun than MOS and BvS.. Maybe WB have learned something about how to make DC movies for the masses.

I agree. I'm not asking for a STM remake. The campy humor is Not needed at all.. I think the modern and more realistic approach that Snyder and Nolan did with MOS was the way to go, but it was too gritty for Superman. More Nolan than Donner.

I think Nolan is great and his style was perfect for Batman, but Superman/Clark is not Batman.. I think Patty did it right for WW with that tone. She made a film with a modern aesthetic and feel but also brought the charm and warmth from Donner. There is a reason why the SpiderMan movies do so well, they have plenty of fun for the whole family to enjoy. Snyder really does not.

I'm sure there is a middle ground that can be used for Superman to make him more enjoyable to watch. Patty did found it for WW, and like I said, Supes and Wondi are not too different, he just deals with a bigger scope.
    Ok, finally something we agree with.

The Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy has more levity to it then MOS and BvS which is sad IMO. Snyder took it too gritty but with Cavill and the right director there is plenty there to make a great Superman film with MOS 2 if it ever happens.

Superman's soldier...

Superman triptych by Rico Jr. and PopCultArt!...

Incredible Member

Superman's soldier...

I'll never understand the decision to take inspiration from injustice just two movies in. maybe towards the end and that's a big maybe but there are so much better stories out there then that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I'll never understand the decision to take inspiration from injustice just two movies in. maybe towards the end and that's a big maybe but there are so much better stories out there then that nonsense.
    Well, it would have been towards the end. I suppose that in JL 2/3, Superman would have been brainwashed by Darkseid, creating an apocalyptic future that had to be prevented via time-travel.